PDA

View Full Version : Pre and Post workout questions

Whuditdew
09-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Is it essential to have a pre workout meal. Please give me a link or give me facts don't just say yes.

Also for post workout how do you get your carbs?

sharkall2003
09-04-2009, 12:38 PM
I like having a banana with one scoop of whey post workout. Pre workout, usually some yogurt, slice of whole wheat bread, banana and a little bit of protein.

Holto
09-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Off the top of my head your two goals surrounding pre/peri/post workout nutrition are fueling the training session and minimizing the catabolic effect of exercise. Having nutrients entering your blood stream at the time of exercise stress is anti-catabolic. For this reason I do believe that a pre-workout bevvy is the way to go.

Personally having trained for a long time I'm a little bit old school and I stick with a post workout drink of sugar and whey.

Is it essential? It depends what you mean by that. Is it a major factor? No. Guys in Arnie's day went home and had dinner. I certainly like to get a jump on recovery as it makes me much less hungry over the next two days. Especially if I'm going out that night.

Daniel Roberts
09-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Is it essential to have a pre workout meal. Please give me a link or give me facts don't just say yes.

Also for post workout how do you get your carbs?

On the whole I'd agree with Holto's sentiments; in the context of an appropriate diet it doesn't really matter.

Check out this article for the links and facts required -

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/nutrient-timing-when-science-and-marketing-collide/

Bottom line, nothing beats heavy, progressive lifting and a diet that supports it, irrespective of timing.

Feel free to ask any questions once you've read it.

STATUS
09-04-2009, 06:05 PM
I would say it's probably not necessary op, but it does speed up recovery. I have no facts to back it up. Just makes common sense lol..

PoundingPlates
09-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Personally, I like to have my two biggest meals of day pre work out and post work. That way I figure my body has an amplitude of fuel to get through the workout and plenty of nutrients coming in afterwards to replenish whatever has been exhausted.