PDA

View Full Version : Recovering from a meet

BFGUITAR
09-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Out of curiosity, how long does it usually take you guys to recover from a meet? I had one on Saturday last week. 4 days later I went to the gym and did some bench. I was going to bench light but even 185 felt heavy. Today (6 days later) I did some raw squats and my hips were done. I also used loose knee sleeves instead of loose wraps to tend to my bad knees. Even 225x8 wasn't easy and that should be a joke. Is it just me or does everyone suffer greatly from a meet?

Hazerboy
09-04-2009, 04:48 PM
From the two raw meets I've done I can usually hit the gym that wednesday or friday for some light work. I usually won't start going heavy again till the next monday.

I'm sure geared is different though...

Pete22
09-04-2009, 05:15 PM
If I'm feeling really beat up, I'll just do a light de-load week before I get back into it. After my last meet I felt fine and just hit the gym like normal on Monday, but with more recovery work.

MarcusWild
09-04-2009, 05:25 PM
It depends how many lifts I miss. More misses = more recovery time. I've done a meet Sunday and max deficit deadlifts on Tuesday.

Sensei
09-04-2009, 05:28 PM
I never did a lot training in full gear and meets (w. full gear) wiped me out of heavier training for about 2 weeks. I would do light accessory work for a week, light work the next, and get back into things the third week following. Not a bad idea to just enjoy a week of rest following a meet IMHO.

Sean S
09-04-2009, 05:30 PM
I think it's different for different people. I'm usually more psychologically burnt out than anything. I do very, very little the week following a meet and then start working back slowly with lighter weights for more reps. If you are still feeling beat up or not fully recovered, just do a bunch of light work to get some blood flow and make sure and do your stretching. Your body and mind will tell you when it's time get back to "normal" training.

Brian Hopper
09-04-2009, 05:33 PM
I always take a week off before and after the meet and I seem to be ok. I have taken two weeks off after a meet a long time ago. But for me right now, I'm gonna stick to just one week off because I feel it works good for me.

deeder
09-04-2009, 05:52 PM
If it's a Saturday meet, first bench on Tuesday, first squat on Thursday. It usually takes me 2-3 weeks to start feeling strong again though.

Detard
09-04-2009, 06:43 PM
If it's a Saturday meet, first bench on Tuesday, first squat on Thursday. It usually takes me 2-3 weeks to start feeling strong again though.

Agreed. Although I pulled 20lbs more than the meet, the tuesday after a saturday meet.

vdizenzo
09-04-2009, 09:57 PM
It depends, I was able to come out of a meet a few weeks ago and then get right back training for another two weeks after.Then I had to take a test week in a bench shirt the very next week. Now after that and the grueling 16+ week training cycle I need some down time. So what I am doing is basically a 2-3 week cycle of all deload work, gpp/conditioning, cardio, and rehab. The more you move the better you'll feel. Just check your ego. I did a whole upper body workout the other day with just the bar. Someone actually poked fun at me in my log for doing curls with 15lbs. Hey, I was able to bench 605 raw. I must know a few things.

deeder
09-04-2009, 10:18 PM
It depends, I was able to come out of a meet a few weeks ago and then get right back training for another two weeks after.Then I had to take a test week in a bench shirt the very next week. Now after that and the grueling 16+ week training cycle I need some down time. So what I am doing is basically a 2-3 week cycle of all deload work, gpp/conditioning, cardio, and rehab. The more you move the better you'll feel. Just check your ego. I did a whole upper body workout the other day with just the bar. Someone actually poked fun at me in my log for doing curls with 15lbs. Hey, I was able to bench 605 raw. I must know a few things.

I think what I put in bolded text is the most important part for anybody. I truly believe that you must listen to your own body when it comes to recovering. I know that it takes 2-3 weeks for me to come back from a meet. If it takes someone else 2-3 days, that's great! Get training!