PDA

View Full Version : 5/3/1 intensity ???

Off Road
09-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Sorry for the newbie thread :hello:

I've been reading different ideas on the 5/3/1 routine (which I am currently doing). I am curious about what you guys think of the idea of keeping the intensity in check for the first two meso-cycles. Like, only hitting the required 5 reps and 3 reps for the first two weeks, but then repping out the 1s on the third week. From what I've been reading, it might keep you from tanking on later lifts.

Thoughts?

Sidior
09-04-2009, 06:01 PM
If you are conservative with your initial maxes (as the program calls for) this is no reason to keep the intensity in check.

Off Road
09-04-2009, 06:28 PM
If you are conservative with your initial maxes (as the program calls for) this is no reason to keep the intensity in check.

What about in later cycles?

geoffsherman
09-04-2009, 06:55 PM
As you get later on, you can play with it. Later on being, you have reset your maxes at least once. Otherwise, keep to the program as written

Sean S
09-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Go ahead and rep out for the first couple cycles. By that point you'll be able to see how you react/recover from them and you'll be able to determine if you need to change strategy later on. No need to change things for the sake of change. You can start tinkering when your progress starts to slow down or stops.

jbrin0tk
09-04-2009, 07:09 PM

This.

Rep out by feel. Most days I feel good enough to give it my all so I go ahead and do that. Sometimes, however, you just gotta know when to hit the prescribed amount of reps and stop there. For me, that takes some self restraint, haha.

Off Road
09-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I'll stay the course and rep them out until I feel I need different.