PDA

View Full Version : weight loss confusion

juan23
09-06-2009, 09:17 AM
ok so ive been lifting hard and not missing a workout and ive been watchiing what i eat , so i weighed myself at the gym about 5 days ago and it said i went up 8lbs

ok heres what gets me, all my friends say i look leaner and more toned from my chest,arms and shoulders

two people said i look leaner from my stomach as well

so it made me feel good but im just wondering if they were good gains or bad gains , the point is i didnt want gains at all i wanna loose weight (fat)

i think what explains this is that i had lost some weight when i had staph cuz i wouldnt eat

thereturn
09-06-2009, 07:23 PM
muscle is denser than fat, therefore while you're building muscle you will find you weigh more. you could be losing fat but still gaining weight due to muscle growth.

are you getting stronger?

juan23
09-06-2009, 09:35 PM
muscle is denser than fat, therefore while you're building muscle you will find you weigh more. you could be losing fat but still gaining weight due to muscle growth.

are you getting stronger?

hell yea man ive been adding more weight to every workout its great, i hope that what your saying is whats happening to me , cuz i dont wanna gain fat , ive had cheat days here and there but im puttin a complete stop to that

i weighed myself today and im at 330lbs last week i was at about 334lbs so thats im pretty happy with that

any progress is good progress i guess ima stick with it and get more strict on my diet hopefully ill loose fat faster

LuNa
09-07-2009, 01:03 AM
You need to remember that for you to gain 8lbs of fat, you need to have been 8*3500 = 28000 calories over maintenance. As you say it was in 5 days, so considering that that means that you would have eaten 5600 cals more than maintenance every day. Im not sure about your cheat meals but this seems rather difficult. If you know you have been allright with your diet, except for the occasional slip-up, than the weight gain can be accounted to muscle or fluid. Seeing as your already lost 4lbs, i would say it is mostly fluid.

Take into account that i am not sure how fat loss patterns are for someone of your weight, which could mean that it indeed was mostly muscle and you have lost 4 more pounds of fat.

Occasional increases are not a problem and are part of the bigger picture. If you find yourself gaining for several weeks in a row you could look into more detail. For the rest, keep it going, you are doing great!

Last point, sorry for the long response. You shouldnt be too fixated on the decrease of the scale. These fluctuations might cause you to become negative while you are doing fine. Instead focus on the mirror, fitting of clothes, pictures and opinions of others.

turtle12stone
09-07-2009, 02:59 AM
You shouldnt be too fixated on the decrease of the scale. These fluctuations might cause you to become negative while you are doing fine. Instead focus on the mirror, fitting of clothes, pictures and opinions of others.

this would be a graeat signuture saying LOL

juan23
09-07-2009, 08:30 AM
You need to remember that for you to gain 8lbs of fat, you need to have been 8*3500 = 28000 calories over maintenance. As you say it was in 5 days, so considering that that means that you would have eaten 5600 cals more than maintenance every day. Im not sure about your cheat meals but this seems rather difficult. If you know you have been allright with your diet, except for the occasional slip-up, than the weight gain can be accounted to muscle or fluid. Seeing as your already lost 4lbs, i would say it is mostly fluid.

Take into account that i am not sure how fat loss patterns are for someone of your weight, which could mean that it indeed was mostly muscle and you have lost 4 more pounds of fat.

Occasional increases are not a problem and are part of the bigger picture. If you find yourself gaining for several weeks in a row you could look into more detail. For the rest, keep it going, you are doing great!

Last point, sorry for the long response. You shouldnt be too fixated on the decrease of the scale. These fluctuations might cause you to become negative while you are doing fine. Instead focus on the mirror, fitting of clothes, pictures and opinions of others.

the response is perfectly fine , so i guess im doing good ive been getting nothing but good compliments from friends