PDA

View Full Version : 1-0-7 Barbell Member =Travis= Internat'l Accomplishment!

Ben Moore
09-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Travis has been training to lift the Dinnie Stones for a few months now. He left last week for Scotland. And today we received word he became the 4th American ever to lift the stones unassisted!!! And for good measure he did it twice more. If you don't know what the Dinnie Stones are google them. This is no small feat.

Congrats Travis and enjoy your free pint!

Brian Hopper
09-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Congrats Travis!!!

vdizenzo
09-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Good for him. That is very cool!

slashkills
09-07-2009, 06:42 PM
thats awesome travis, congrats!

PDR
09-07-2009, 06:43 PM
very cool Travis....nice work

Brian C
09-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Such a great feat Trav, Congrats:clap::clap::clap:

KarstenDD
09-07-2009, 07:52 PM
i think travis is a pretty cool guy. eh picks up teh dinnie stones and doesnt afraid of anything.

Off Road
09-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Now that's freakin' COOL. I hope he brings back pics.

Ben Moore
09-07-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm fairly sure he bought a video camera specifically for this, haha

Joe Black
09-08-2009, 02:51 AM
Scotland in the UK?

I did some googling on them and that's awesome!!!

I wanna see a vid!

Travis Bell
09-08-2009, 04:29 AM
Very cool! Congrats to Travis

Lones Green
09-08-2009, 08:06 AM
I was just reading about those stones a week or 2 ago. Very cool, can't wait for video.

Tim K
09-08-2009, 08:32 AM
The Dinnie Stones... pretty cool feat of strength! Congrats to Travis and as everyone else has mentioned, we wanna see the video!

thewicked
09-08-2009, 09:08 AM
INCREDIBLE!!! pics or vids when he returns I hope! The D's are considered HUGE overall strength and grip feats! Having pulled on a replica... it's safe to say your buddy accomplished something that few ever will...obviously.

Tom Mutaffis
09-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Very impressive grip feat!

Also a huge accomplishment to be only the 4th American to lift the stones.

Niko_El_Piko
09-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Congratulations Travis!!!!!!!!!!!!

Morgan McPherson
09-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Congrats! I love this sort of stuff. Historical lifting should be a new sport :)

Scott R.
09-08-2009, 01:06 PM
i think travis is a pretty cool guy. eh picks up teh dinnie stones and doesnt afraid of anything.

I haven't been around here long enough to get this, but everytime I read it I laugh my ass off.:moon:

Congrats to Travis.

tomv
09-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Mad effort by Travis!

slashkills
09-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Mad effort by Travis!

definitely. Ive been following his log on another site and he has been busting his ass to pull this off. Its awesome all of his hard work paid off.

Brad08
09-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Nice thread, Ben.

Travis is a good friend of mine and he really worked his ASS off training to pull the stones without straps. He's a strong bastard and just took a straight linear approach to it, started light and over 16 weeks just kept adding weight each week and muscling them up. His last week, he was over 800 for several training pulls with straps.

He can tell more about it if it he wants, but without straps, it's really a much more difficult lift. Tore the **** out of his hands each week, training to lift heavy weights suspended on small, iron rings.

Nice job, Travis.

robchris
09-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Awesome feat of strength!!! I read about the stones as suggested and that took alot of hard work and dedication to achieve such an accomplishment.

Total weight is 785lbs. and they're not equally weighted either...440 & 345 each. Major grip/ core strength!

Congrates Travis!

=Travis=
09-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Thanks guys. I just got home late last night and of course, I started putting footage together. And yes, that's my blood that dripped onto the stone in one of the last pics.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X1Xn2VJiwhQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X1Xn2VJiwhQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
I just got home yesterday from my trip to Scotland and Ireland. We got into Edinburgh on September 5 after a night of flying. On September 7 we headed north to Potarch to find the Dinnie Stones. I was nervous because I hadnít slept much since arriving and the night before I was restless knowing I was going to attempt the Dinnie Stones the next day. We were heading to Aboyne to check into our hotel when I saw the sign for Potarch and swerved off towards Potarch. I was cruising down the road when I looked over and saw the Potarch Hotel and I slammed on the brakes. I jumped out of the car leaving my wife behind and went towards the door. When I saw the Dinnie Stones I got pretty excited, like a little kid, well a big kid as I was never little. I had planned to put on my kilt to lift but I was so excited I rushed back to the car and just wanted to go lift. My wife set up the camera while I dug my chalk, straps (just in case) and a towel out of our luggage.
I saw the stones on the pea gravel and the gravel had me concerned as I fell on my butt while moving the small stone over towards the large stone. Iíd been warned that the pea gravel was a challenge but I hadnít thought much about it till I was on my rear. I was also concerned when I saw that the rings looked almost polished smooth and shiny. They were slick and smooth, I had expected rusty and rough. I had all these plans to warm up and get ready to pull but I was just so excited that I wanted to get to it. I did a two handed lift of the large stone and then moved the small one and figured that was enough warm up.
I first set up and pulled and the small stone came up no problem but I had a grip issue with the large stone. I quickly adjusted and pulled them up. I was pumped. I went to look at my wifeís footage and decided I wanted to do another so I walked over and did another. Meanwhile there were some older women peeking out the door to the restaurant all asking, ďDid he lift them?Ē and a little fellow (that I had a hard time understanding) went in to tell everyone what he just saw. I decided to go for a third pull, as I was just happy to be lifting and pulled the third. After the third I noticed I ripped my thumb pretty good so I quit. I then went inside to rinse out my wound and have a whisky at the bar.
The whole time I was at the bar I was contemplating taping up my thumb and pulling some more or even putting on straps and playing around but decided I had already accomplished what I set out to do. But, as time went on and the days have gone by I really wanted to lift them more and regretted not lifting them as much as I could. SO, I am already discussing with my wife a return trip to Scotland when I can visit the Dinnie Stones again and go lift the Inver Stone as well.

Thanks to you all for your encouragement and advice.

=Travis=
09-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Awesome feat of strength!!! I read about the stones as suggested and that took alot of hard work and dedication to achieve such an accomplishment.

Total weight is 785lbs. and they're not equally weighted either...440 & 345 each. Major grip/ core strength!

Congrates Travis!

They weighed them back in the 90s and they say they somehow lost weight and are now 413 and 321. To be honest, it was all such a blur I just pulled and couldn't tell you which figure was correct. I tried to get strong enough to pull the heavier weight. I thought they felt easy but looking at the video it looks hard, I though I stood longer than the video shows... I was so pumped when I saw them I just went and lifted and barely remember it.

=Travis=
09-18-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm fairly sure he bought a video camera specifically for this, haha

Don't tell the wife, but that was my motivation for buying it. LOL

Off Road
09-18-2009, 01:14 PM
That's awsome...those horses aint gettin' away :thumbup: