PDA

View Full Version : Should I eat if I'm not hungry

Whuditdew
09-07-2009, 06:57 PM
I did not meet my calorie mark today, but I am not hungry and I didn't lift today. Should I force myself to eat?

juan23
09-07-2009, 07:00 PM
in that case why not eat a snack like peanut butter and crackers or sumtim like that with chocolate milk(more calories)

yasher
09-07-2009, 07:03 PM
If it's time to eat, eat!

I'm seldom "hungry" when I eat, but I know it's time to eat, so I do it. I spread my meals out enough that I eat quite regularly throughout the day, and I've had to reassess what hungry means to me. When you get up at 7 am, eat a banana and work until noon, you're hungry. When you get up at 7 am and eat a big breakfast, drink a shake at 9 and another at 12, by 3 you may not be hungry, but it's probably time to eat again.

Go eat something, I think you'll be happy that you did.

Edit: For example, there are some posters here who have talked about having to cram 2500 calories into a 2 hour period between the end of school and the beginning of work. I'm sure they don't enjoy eating the last 1000 of those calories, but they'd be damned if they didn't get them in.

Also, look into liquid calories if you're having issues getting all your calories in a day. Milk is awesome for this.

juan23
09-07-2009, 07:11 PM
If it's time to eat, eat!

I'm seldom "hungry" when I eat, but I know it's time to eat, so I do it. I spread my meals out enough that I eat quite regularly throughout the day, and I've had to reassess what hungry means to me. When you get up at 7 am, eat a banana and work until noon, you're hungry. When you get up at 7 am and eat a big breakfast, drink a shake at 9 and another at 12, by 3 you may not be hungry, but it's probably time to eat again.

Go eat something, I think you'll be happy that you did.

Edit: For example, there are some posters here who have talked about having to cram 2500 calories into a 2 hour period between the end of school and the beginning of work. I'm sure they don't enjoy eating the last 1000 of those calories, but they'd be damned if they didn't get them in.

Also, look into liquid calories if you're having issues getting all your calories in a day. Milk is awesome for this.

i forgot where but i remember reading somewhere that jay cutler drinks 1 coke after a workout

LuNa
09-07-2009, 07:33 PM
I did not meet my calorie mark today, but I am not hungry and I didn't lift today. Should I force myself to eat?

That completely depends on your goals. If you are bulking, i would say try and eat something. If you are cutting however, you dont have to and it might be better not to.

When bulking you will find yourself in this position often. You are not hungry but you need to hit your mark for the day. Sometimes you will have to force it. However you could also make up for today by eating a bit more dense tomorrow.

yasher
09-07-2009, 08:13 PM
I also think there's a pretty big distinction between "not hungry" and the point where eating more is uncomfortable.

A lot of us eat when we're not hungry, and its really no big deal. Getting to the point where the idea of eating more makes you wanna puke is another story, and I don't think the OP is at that point.

Therefore, he should eat.

Whuditdew
09-07-2009, 08:43 PM
I ate a foot long sub and got a lot closer to my marker, but still not there. I will just keep up my eating. This was my first off day so I don't think it will be that terrible. As you guys always say, if I'm not making gains, I know what to do.

digitaldream
09-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Read this article that I found:

Regarding eating and the spacing of meals (or snacks), the basic concept is this: You want to keep your blood sugar even throughout the day so you don't have high peaks and low valleys of energy. Generally, you shouldn't go too long without eating because your body goes into a kind of "starvation" mode -- it thinks there's a famine, so it stores fat, and your metabolism slows down as a survival tactic. In addition, when you go a long time without eating you generally will eat anything that's put in front of you. Go seven hours without food, and most people will eat the basket that the bread comes in. For that reason alone it's not advisable to skip meals.

On the other hand, many people don't learn to respond to their body's internal cues and instead eat just because it's mealtime and there's food in front of them. In the ideal situation, you want to eat small meals (or feedings) fairly frequently (every three to four hours) throughout the day. Small meals keep you from being too full and tired, from eating more calories than you can use and from being on a blood-sugar roller coaster.

So the real answer is to learn to listen to your body, eat when you are hungry and not go too long (more than four hours or so) without food. For most people that means eating at mealtimes PLUS a couple of nutritious snacks during the day.