PDA

View Full Version : Replcing milk in a diet?

NormalDude
09-07-2009, 10:02 PM
I currently use 6 cuts of fat free milk daily and I guess I am lactose intolerant because it messes my stomach up very bad. But it gives a ton of protein and it helps the calories. So what can I do to get rid of the milk completely or help my stomach when I use milk?

JabbaTheHut
09-07-2009, 11:31 PM
My body has issues with milk too, so I feel your pain. Soy milk is fairly close to fat free milk in protein. Most grocery stores can a vanilla and chocolate flavored soy milk. Don't forget to supplement calcium and Vitamin D, as soy milk doesnt have any. If soy milk is not your thing, you can try cheese and yogurt, my body doesn't reject them like it does milk. Good luck to you.

Joe Black
09-08-2009, 03:10 AM
Just ditch it if it is causing your problems and use protein shakes to replace the protein.

I found when I was drinking milk it was harder to cut and also I did have some stomach problems, both of which got easier when I stopped it and just upped protein intake in other places.

NormalDude
09-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Just ditch it if it is causing your problems and use protein shakes to replace the protein.

I found when I was drinking milk it was harder to cut and also I did have some stomach problems, both of which got easier when I stopped it and just upped protein intake in other places.

So you just mix the shake with wter then? And what did you think about soy milk?

wendyveldhuis
09-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Hi NormalDude,

Hey brother, I am pretty much impressed with your diet.It is good to include the milk in your diet which give all nutrition to your body. But if you are facing the problem in your stomach then you can easily replace the milk with eggs or yoghurt which keeps you fresh and energize.All the best for great future and body. Be fit and healthy always and live life happily.

Thanks

Mercuryblade
09-09-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm lactose intolerant, I can't remember the last time I had a glass of milk.
Yogurt has little to no lactose in it, as the bacteria that make yogurt, yogurt feed off the lactose. Cheese is also similar, in that the lactose has been digested by bacteria, but it will have a higher lactose content than yogurt.

Wayward
09-09-2009, 10:12 AM
If you are lactose intolerant, you shouldn't have much problem with a predigested whey source like American Whey. I am severely intolerant and I use this with no problem. You may have to um, order it via an online source right now, though.

I wouldn't really recommend soy protein for a man, but JMHO.

I've been curious about the ALN protein shakes. Anyone who is lactose intolerant tried them? How are they? I'm scared to purchase a whole container and find out it rips me to shreds.

Joe Black
09-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Wayward, what I can say is we have had plenty of people get in touch worried about being very lactose intolerant and I think I can only remember 1 out of about 50 come back to me and tell me it wasn;t for them. Most of them get on with it very well.

Wayward
09-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Cool, thanks Daniel.

Once I run out of this AW barrel I will give it a go. Anything that doesn't kill my guts will have me as a loyal follower, haha.

bodyforum1
09-12-2009, 05:01 AM
milk constitutes of a large number of nutrients essential for the body, if you have a problem consuming it, i'd rather suggest u go ahead with soy milk, its also a very good alternative to milk, and even yogurt and egg whites also serve the purpose pretty well, though not equivalent to milk, but these alternatives work good...

thanks..

VikingWarlord
09-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Goat's milk is pretty good stuff and is pretty wildly available now.

digitaldream
09-14-2009, 01:16 PM
I hope this thing help:

The cause of lactose intolerance is best explained by describing how a person develops lactase deficiency.

Primary lactase deficiency develops over time and begins after about age 2 when the body begins to produce less lactase. Most children who have lactase deficiency do not experience symptoms of lactose intolerance until late adolescence or adulthood.

Researchers have identified a possible genetic link to primary lactase deficiency. Some people inherit a gene from their parents that makes it likely they will develop primary lactase deficiency. This discovery may be useful in developing future genetic tests to identify people at risk for lactose intolerance.

Secondary lactase deficiency results from injury to the small intestine that occurs with severe diarrheal illness, celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, or chemotherapy. This type of lactase deficiency can occur at any age but is more common in infancy.

NormalDude
09-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Yogurt seems to be the cheap alternative and it is low lactose according to posts on here.

manowar669
09-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Why not just eat meat?
Soy sucks, don't do that.

6 cups fat free milk = 48gr protein, 480 cals. Sub anything that meets those criteria. How about 6oz chicken breast and 3 slices wheat bread (1.5 sandwiches). Better yet, 6 oz chicken and an avocado. OR, 2 hamburger patties, 85% lean (50gr protein/~500cals).

Clifford Gillmore
09-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Goat's milk is pretty good stuff and is pretty wildly available now.

I had a problem with cows milk at a younger age (1-8 or something) and my parents ended up getting a couple of goats for that reason, the poor girl thumped out 8L a day! Its become very cheap in the last years too.