PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to change??

dtw313
09-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Hello all,

First time posting.

I have been lifting and dieting now for almost 4 months. I am 5'9" and I am 230. I was at 259 but am now stuck at 230, could someone please tell me what I might need to change in my diet?

Breakfast:

1 cup of Rasin Bran w/ 1/2 cup of skim milk

Snack 1:

Banana

Lunch:

turkey sandwich w/ slice of cheese and mustard on whole wheat bread

Snack 2:

Nature Valley granola bar

Snack 3:

grapes or yogurt

Dinner:
Usually Turkey w/ cottage cheese

Everything except dinner is pretty routine.

Thank you in advance

Wayward
09-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Hey.

I'd try dropping your carbs a bit and upping protein/fat a little. If you can afford it, get a protein shake and sub that in as one of your meals.

Some other ideas:

- Instead of the granola bar, do a handful of almonds.
- Instead of the grapes, crack a can of tuna.
- Eliminate bread wherever you can. Pre-cook some chicken breast throughout the week and eat that where you'd normally be eating a sandwich between two slices of bread.
- Eat more veggies!

Do you do any weight training/exercise at all? If not, adding a few days of some low impact cardio could help your cause a lot.

Pretty generic info, and there's some other (more specific) stuff that I am sure others will add to this thread... but the above things seem to work OK for me.

dtw313
09-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the reply,

I do 45 min cardio 5 days, burning a min 500 cals.

I do all body parts with weights.

Wayward
09-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Wow, 5 days!

You should definitely not be stuck with that much.

I would definitely try lowering your carb intake a little, and finding some alternatives with a lower GI and high fiber. (veggies, etc.)

I know some of the available turkey meat has quite a bit of sodium in it, so depending on what your intake is you might be able to bump that down a bit by substituting with "low sodium" protein sources. Water weight could be throwing things off on the scale too.

If you're not already, I'd also suggest sipping on water throughout the day.

Have you counted your total caloric intake per day? I have found that if I bump my calories down too much, my body starts holding on to everything it has and it makes it ten times harder to shed any fat. If you need something to help do that with just some fill in the blanks, try fitday.com.

flexin_hard
09-09-2009, 08:08 AM
I agree with wayward

Polish Hammer
09-09-2009, 08:32 AM
How can you possibly maintain a BW of 230 with that diet?My wife eats more than that and weighs 135.Have you gone to the bathroom in the last 5 years?

Besides.230lb at 5'9" is awesome!

Wayward
09-09-2009, 08:40 AM
How can you possibly maintain a BW of 230 with that diet?My wife eats more than that and weighs 135.Have you gone to the bathroom in the last 5 years?

Besides.230lb at 5'9" is awesome!

Can be if that 230 lb is in the right spot, haha. I am in relatively same boat... ain't pretty.

Some people, myself included, can really kill any sort of fat loss goals by starving themselves and/or keeping insulin elevated during most of the day. On the flip side of that I suppose he could also be creating some sort of balance right now by adding lean muscle, but I really don't see a lot of good protein in his sample diet, which is one thing (along with good fats) I personally think he should explore bumping up while cutting carbs down. My guess is that will give him more of the result he is looking for.

But it raises a good point: Sometimes it's better to measure by clothing than the scale. :nod:

Polish Hammer
09-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Can be if that 230 lb is in the right spot, haha. I am in relatively same boat... ain't pretty.

Some people, myself included, can really kill any sort of fat loss goals by starving themselves and/or keeping insulin elevated during most of the day. On the flip side of that I suppose he could also be creating some sort of balance right now by adding lean muscle, but I really don't see a lot of good protein in his sample diet, which is one thing (along with good fats) I personally think he should explore bumping up while cutting carbs down. My guess is that will give him more of the result he is looking for.

But it raises a good point: Sometimes it's better to measure by clothing than the scale. :nod:

Yeah,not the greatest diet.No veggies,all protein comes from Turkey or Dairy.When Im trying to get really lean,dairy is the first to go.Then I add more fish.I would make the cardio more intense.Maybe interval training,hill sprints,prowler pushes.Anything that keeps the fat burning process going.Alot of times we get sedentary with our diet and workouts(including cardio).Just because it looks good on paper doesnt mean its what YOU need.