PDA

View Full Version : Not eating after exercise

TomBo
09-10-2009, 01:13 AM
Hey guys,

I am currently trying to lose weight and was wondering, would i burn more fat by not eating after exercising? and is this unhealthy?

thanks guys.

Unreal
09-10-2009, 11:12 AM
No.

Depends on what you mean by exercise and unhealthy. You need to look at the whole picture and have a training/diet routine. One meal doesn't mean much. If your trying to lose weight then maintaining a caloric deficit is what you need. If at the end of a week you ate less then you burned then you'll lose weight.

sharkall2003
09-10-2009, 12:03 PM
If there is a time you should eat it should be before and immediately after a workout.

Mercuryblade
09-10-2009, 12:59 PM
If there is a time you should eat it should be before and immediately after a workout.

This.
Cut back on your other meals.
Not eating anything before or after a workout is a great way to lose lean mass.

greemah
09-10-2009, 02:23 PM
I don't eat anything before a workout.....what kind of food should be eaten then??

Jayfive
09-10-2009, 02:29 PM
I don't eat anything before a workout.....what kind of food should be eaten then??

Complex carbs and protein. Fats can slow absorbtion.

greemah
09-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Guess I could have a slice of bread or something before working out....would have to cut the calories elsewhere though as I'm cutting.

What is bad about working out without eating beforehand? I always eat after (a protein shake at least if not a meal)

TremL96
09-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Complex carbs and protein. Fats can slow absorbtion.

What's a complex carb?

LuNa
09-10-2009, 10:54 PM
What's a complex carb?

Examples of complex carbs are here: (http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46565)

Definition of complex carbs:
Complex carbohydrates are chains of three or more single sugar molecules linked together. Long chains of sugar molecules are called starches and they serve as the storage form of energy in plants. Branched complex carbohydrates called cellulose form the structural components that give plants their shape.

Starches are fairly easy to digest. However, your body doesn't digest cellulose, which is an important component of dietary fiber.

Complex carbohydrates are found in fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and grains. Some examples of foods high in starchy complex carbohydrates include bread, cereal, rice, pasta, potatoes, dry beans, carrots and corn. Green vegetables like green beans, broccoli and spinach contain less starch and more fiber. All grains include starchy carbohydrates. However, whole grains -- such as whole wheat pasta -- are better for you because they also have more fiber.

Source:http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyournutritionist/f/complex.htm

LuNa
09-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Guess I could have a slice of bread or something before working out....would have to cut the calories elsewhere though as I'm cutting.

What is bad about working out without eating beforehand? I always eat after (a protein shake at least if not a meal)

I am cutting as well. I try to have most of my calories around my workout, because this is when they are needed most. I eat a complex carb before working out and more after my workout. The following is my current schedule around workout:

Breakfast:
Oats, banana and protein shake with milk and creatine

Post Workout:
Protein shake with water and dextrose

Post workout meal:
Wholemeal bread or brown rice (any complex carb will do) with any source of protein

I have a simple (fast acting) carb right after my workout and then the meal about half hour after that. The rest of the day is virtually carb free.

digitaldream
09-14-2009, 01:20 PM
No.

Imagine a car with out a gasoline, you need to replenish your body.