PDA

View Full Version : triceps training

allan3
09-10-2009, 05:04 PM
i was wondering how many times a week you guys train your triceps. i only train em once per week- about 2 sets after my bench training. i only do bench once per week as well. my dad is trying to talk me into doing triceps 2x a week- once after bench, and once 3 days later- just a "light" one. i have been training for about 17 years- and have always done a bodypart only once per week. i train for power and strength- no bodybuilder here. :)

NickAus
09-10-2009, 05:18 PM
I think what you have been doing has worked very well for you so far (think you have a 495 raw bench, not sure how much you get out of a shirt).
Most train triceps twice a week, I like doing em twice per week and it seems to be working well but as I said what you are doing has worked for you so far.

allan3
09-10-2009, 05:24 PM
i reckon i have ZERO technique in a shirt so far- but working on it. my dads theory is that i should use the 2nd day as an 'active recovery' and do some light sets- i am new to band presses and board presses etc- and i think that will shock the triceps into getting stronger. he seems to think that the 2nd triceps workout will help them to heal faster.

Pete22
09-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Twice. After my ME day I'll usually train them heavier, and on DE I'll usually go lighter and for more volume. I agree with your dad btw, some active recovery work is great for any muscle group, but especially the tri's as they take a beating with heavy benching.

NickAus
09-10-2009, 05:45 PM
i reckon i have ZERO technique in a shirt so far- but working on it. my dads theory is that i should use the 2nd day as an 'active recovery' and do some light sets- i am new to band presses and board presses etc- and i think that will shock the triceps into getting stronger. he seems to think that the 2nd triceps workout will help them to heal faster.

Sounds like a good idea, yeah I have found bands and reverse bands to work VERY well-I don't do much in the way of extensions/pushdowns as they hurt my left elbow but the bands and boards have shot my triceps strength up.

MarcusWild
09-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Active recovery is more done the day after your workout instead of 3 days after. If you want to get the most out of a shirt, then you probably need a lot more triceps work. It's not uncommon to do 8-12 sets twice a week on bench days.

allan3
09-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Active recovery is more done the day after your workout instead of 3 days after. If you want to get the most out of a shirt, then you probably need a lot more triceps work. It's not uncommon to do 8-12 sets twice a week on bench days.

8-12 sets of tricep 2x a week? right now i only hit bench press 1x a week. i get sore as hell from one day a week as is, but i am willing to do 2x a week as long as i feel that my body can heal and get stronger and not over train. my long time friend hits bench 2x a week,and is un-natural. he doesnt get sore all damn week long from one workout. if you guys honestly think that i can train bench 2x a week and get stronger- and not over train, im gonna give it a try.

robchris
09-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Allan,
I'm twice per week as well... Hvy. raw bds. or floor press, after Hvy. shirt work along w/ DB extensions.

Speed day is more Lt. tri's for volume and recovery.

MarcusWild
09-10-2009, 11:33 PM
You don't go heavy both days. That's the key. I think a lot of people try to bench twice a week and both days turn into heavy days. That'll beat the crap out of you unless you're built to bench.

vdizenzo
09-11-2009, 05:28 AM
Heavy one day, moderate on another. Training tricpes is the key to victory with the bench. I trained them more than ever this past cycle and smoked a good pr.

Sensei
09-11-2009, 05:35 AM
You can definitely train your triceps twice a week without overtraining.

allan3
09-11-2009, 06:44 AM
i had a former wabdl world record holder in the masters 275 class tell me that he hit em 2x one week, and 3x the next and rotated back and forth. i think i am going to bump it up to 2x a week and go from there. thank you guys for the answers, much appriciated!!

PDR
09-11-2009, 07:14 AM
If you're only benching once a week I'd be interested in seeing where you place a second tricep day in your routine. Let me know. This is a good thread.

allan3
09-11-2009, 05:21 PM
If you're only benching once a week I'd be interested in seeing where you place a second tricep day in your routine. Let me know. This is a good thread.

for sure!! im still tryin to figure it out!!:confused:

douglasoh5
09-11-2009, 05:49 PM
what is your normal split as of now?

allan3
09-11-2009, 05:52 PM
i do bench every friday. squats on sunday, and back (deads or rows) on tuesday. i do 2-3 sets of tricep on bench day, and 2 sets of bicep curls on tuesdays.