PDA

View Full Version : ME lower -- need some help

OGROK
09-10-2009, 06:51 PM
I just added ME lower/DE lower into my split and I need some decent ME exercises for lower body. Problem is, my gym only has one kind of bar (olympic) which blows and I do not want to have to drop $200-$300 to buy safety squat bars and etc... So what are some good exercises? I am lifting raw atm just trying to get my strength up to a level where I can handle powerlifting gear.

Here is what I can think of:

Box squats of diff. heights
Chain Suspended GMs from various heights
Zercher Squats from various heights
Conventional Deadlift
Sumo Deadlift
Pin pulls
All the above w/ bands and chains

Anything else?

I also have another question. I need to buy some chains to suspend good mornings from. How long does this chain need to be? The squat rack we have is pretty tall, i'd say 12-15 ft tall but not sure. The gym owner was also concerned that if I suspended chains it would scratch the **** out of the top of the rack but whatever.

Brian Hopper
09-10-2009, 07:22 PM
SLDL or RDL

NickAus
09-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Cov reverse band deadlifts (you may have thought of that already).
This is my favourite type of deadlift.

Brian Hopper
09-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Cov reverse band deadlifts (you may have thought of that already).
This is my favourite type of deadlift.

Same here!!!

slashkills
09-10-2009, 07:29 PM
front squats, atg squats, free squats. Mixing up free squats and and box squats will keep you progressing if thats why your looking for more exercises. For the chain issue, im not sure. Ive seen people use those ratchet straps with success though.

Pete22
09-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Those are all good movements, you can even throw front squats in there (off a box or free). You could use those heavy duty yellow adjustable tow straps instead of chains for your suspended work.

dynamo
09-10-2009, 07:41 PM
perhaps for the chains, if you plan to set them up each time just put a towel over the rack where the chain will rest. i'm sure that will be enough to keep it from scratching, or get some plastic tape and wrap up your chain in the area where you plan on having it sit or just tape a towel 'permanently' to the chain. I'm a big fan of SLDL, maybe some walking lunges with heavy dumbbells, you could work your grip and your butt at the same time.

NickAus
09-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Those are all good movements, you can even throw front squats in there (off a box or free). You could use those heavy duty yellow adjustable tow straps instead of chains for your suspended work.

Spud Inc make some really good ones!

OGROK
09-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Has anyone ever done seated GMs to a max or even 3rm/5rm? Or is that asking for a hernia?

sayagain
09-10-2009, 08:45 PM
I've done standing goodmornings to a 3 RM.

NickAus
09-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Has anyone ever done seated GMs to a max or even 3rm/5rm? Or is that asking for a hernia?

Yeah I did them for a while, I really liked them I actually found they felt safe-very hard but safe.

Brian C
09-11-2009, 08:29 AM
I dont use chains, I'll usually do them off the pins