PDA

View Full Version : repeated effort method

widebody
09-10-2009, 08:30 PM
I was watching one of the Westside videos here and Louie was saying that what they were doing in the video was repeated effort, as opposed to dynamic effort. I believe he was saying that with the repeated effort method, the lifter uses heavier weight, or band tension (than DE), but still performs two reps. I am not sure he mentioned how many sets are done but from what I gather, the weight is kept constant over the course of the sets.

On the surface, it appears that the basic difference between RE and DE is that more resistance is used for RE, yet not enough that it turns into a ME training day. I guess my questions are, is this even remotely accurate and also, is RE used instead of DE for squats now or does it depend on where the lifter is in his training?

I know this is a long and not particularly well worded question. I don't think I'm smart enough to word it so it makes more sense but if Travis or somebody who understands that style of training might try to comment, I'd appreciate it.

MarcusWild
09-10-2009, 11:39 PM
I know the super training guys usually do some speed sets (4-6). Then they workup a little to a lot depending on the lifter and where they are in their training cycle. Yeah, I know that's really vague, haha. It's mostly done by feel. If I had to put a percent on it then I'd say workup to about 85%. You don't want to do it every week.

Travis Bell
09-11-2009, 03:53 AM
There are a couple of threads somewhere on here about this, but yeah that's very simply put what the difference is.

This method isn't used all the time. DE squats are still used.

widebody
09-11-2009, 05:33 AM
Thanks guys. Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Travis, I'll look for those threads you mentioned.

slashkills
09-11-2009, 05:34 AM
not to hijack your thread wideboy, but i have a question about this also. When does westside do RE squats? Comming up to meet, after a meet, or when ever the lifter feels like he needs it?

hairyback40k
09-11-2009, 05:42 AM
I thought that assistance work is performed after dynamic effort and max effort which typically involves more repetitions. That's what I do..

KarlMarx
09-11-2009, 07:57 AM
not to hijack your thread wideboy, but i have a question about this also. When does westside do RE squats? Comming up to meet, after a meet, or when ever the lifter feels like he needs it?

Westside for Skinny Bastards uses it instead of DE with upper body to put more muscle on--I can see someone using that method to move up weight classes...

Travis Bell
09-11-2009, 09:00 AM
I thought that assistance work is performed after dynamic effort and max effort which typically involves more repetitions. That's what I do..

Westside for Skinny Bastards uses it instead of DE with upper body to put more muscle on--I can see someone using that method to move up weight classes...

He's not talking about the Westside template, he's talking about Westside the gym.

We use it when we feel like it. Most times it's farther out from a meet.

KarlMarx
09-11-2009, 09:36 AM
He's not talking about the Westside template, he's talking about Westside the gym.

We use it when we feel like it. Most times it's farther out from a meet.

Sure, I was just using that as an example. Replacing DE work with RE would cause a shift away from speed-strength to hypertrophy which would be useful in moving up weight classes or more rapid bulking. I wasn't really answering for what you all do at Westside (the gym) and I'd still be interested in hearing more about it if you have more to say about it. Do you all cut out DE work for extra RE work often (say regularly after a competition)? How come?
Thanks!

MarcusWild
09-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Sometimes you just want to feel something heavy. Further away from a meet, I'm more likely to do ME movements with really bad leverages so I'm moving less weight. Working up a little on DE day is a good way to stay used to heavier weights. I doubt anyone is sitting down with a spread sheet calculating out that in 2 weeks they'll work up to 87.5% of their max. Then in 6 weeks they'll work up to 90% of of their max.

That's one thing I got from Panora when he was on thepowerlifting.com. He said at some point he came to the realization that the strongest guys weren't calculating percentages. They were listening to their body and doing what they needed to do to get stronger. Chuck V said the same thing. Calculating percentages is for beginners that don't know where to start. You make the real gains when you ditch that and pay attention to bar speed, how you feel, etc.

NickAus
09-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Sometimes you just want to feel something heavy. Further away from a meet, I'm more likely to do ME movements with really bad leverages so I'm moving less weight. Working up a little on DE day is a good way to stay used to heavier weights. I doubt anyone is sitting down with a spread sheet calculating out that in 2 weeks they'll work up to 87.5% of their max. Then in 6 weeks they'll work up to 90% of of their max.

That's one thing I got from Panora when he was on thepowerlifting.com. He said at some point he came to the realization that the strongest guys weren't calculating percentages. They were listening to their body and doing what they needed to do to get stronger. Chuck V said the same thing. Calculating percentages is for beginners that don't know where to start. You make the real gains when you ditch that and pay attention to bar speed, how you feel, etc.

Very good point!