PDA

View Full Version : no spotters on planned ME day

bald bull
09-11-2009, 03:41 PM
I just did ME bench on Tue and i am scheduled to do speed band bench on Sun and squat tom and pull mon. On Wed i will have no spotter i believe, for bench should i do band speed bench again and move ME day to the weekend?

KarlMarx
09-11-2009, 03:52 PM
I have just benched in the powerrack before with the pins low/high enough that if I fully exhale and de-arch the bar will rest on the pins. Or just do ME day off the pins... I do that now and again anyway for its own sake--you kind of do it like floor press.

barbell01
09-11-2009, 03:54 PM
what main excersise were you gonna do? you could bench in a power rack with the safety pins. or you could floor press with safty pins then you could do some pin press', you could do rev. bands. lotsa possibilities here.

allan3
09-11-2009, 05:23 PM
i use the power rack myself. i dont like not having a spotter, but i go for it anyhow.

bald bull
09-11-2009, 08:29 PM
I wanted to do board presses, but i guess i can go in the rack and do lockouts and different heights or floor press pin presses.

dbc3po
09-12-2009, 08:25 AM
You can do board presses. Slide the boards under your t shirt and set the pins in the rack to where they are slightly below the boards. I do it all the time and never have any issues over safety. It isnt ideal but you do what you gotta do to lift.

JK1
09-12-2009, 08:47 AM
I just did ME bench on Tue and i am scheduled to do speed band bench on Sun and squat tom and pull mon. On Wed i will have no spotter i believe, for bench should i do band speed bench again and move ME day to the weekend?

Dude, quit making excuses and trying to talk yourself out of training. Get into the rack, get under the bar, and lift the weight. Its that simple.....

You may have to look at your equipment, look at what you've got available, and adjust things just a bit, but if you have access to a good bench and a rack, you've got nothing to worry about.

Tom Mutaffis
09-12-2009, 07:43 PM
What kind of weight are you thinking for ME day? There are a lot of strong guys at Iron Sport but if you are going shirted or over 400 lbs I can understand you wanting to have a spotter that you trust. The last thing that you want is to get injured because of an bad spotter.

I would say to either do rack work or switch up the days if you are not comfortable with the circumstances. As long as you don't have two ME days back to back you should be fine.

Brian C
09-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Bald Bull: Where do you train at in Philly? Iron Sport? I train now at the NE Philly Worlds Gym, but will be soon moving to Iron Sport. If so maybe we can link up on ME days. Im spotterless also at the moment.

Barbaccio
09-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Brian C & baldbull, would you guys be interested in training with an already established crew in Fishtown? We are looking for 1-2 solid members. We train ME Bench every Monday around 6pm. We've got a good crew. Feel free to give me a call if you're interested. 856-336-8663

bald bull
09-14-2009, 05:51 PM
ya i used to train at Iron Sport till i got hurt, I was on MTV scarred or You Tube you may have seen my squatting accident back in Dec 06. I train at the prison gym or at Ballys which is down the road thats why i go there and it was the only place my wife would let me train after i got hurt(LOL) so i am stuck in a gay contract till March 10". I am putting up 475 RAW bench and would like to get back in my bench shirt. My best comp bench single ply USAPL bench is 512lbs. best comp pull ias 650lbs same USAPL meet as well.

Brian C
09-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Brian C & baldbull, would you guys be interested in training with an already established crew in Fishtown? We are looking for 1-2 solid members. We train ME Bench every Monday around 6pm. We've got a good crew. Feel free to give me a call if you're interested. 856-336-8663

Tone, It would be amazing to get the opportunity to train with you. My schedule is a little tough to be able to make every week, being a philly cop. I can make every other easily and sometimes more, but I work 3pm-11pm every other week. If this isnt a problem, then im definately in.

RhodeHouse
09-16-2009, 07:40 AM
If you can, train with Tone. He's a great bencher and very knowledgable. If you make excuses as to why you can't because you're scared, you'll never go anywhere. Get with guys that are bigger, stronger, and smarter than you are and you'll excel.

Hey tone!

rbtrout
09-16-2009, 09:24 AM
You can do board presses. Slide the boards under your t shirt and set the pins in the rack to where they are slightly below the boards. I do it all the time and never have any issues over safety. It isnt ideal but you do what you gotta do to lift.

This is a good idea, I've done it this way, as well.

Barbaccio
09-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Rhodesy, thanks for the comments man. Hope you're feeling better man. Been following your log. Any chance you're coming to Sandi's in October? I think I'm going to do a pull only. Make a run at 775/800.

Brian C, give me a call man. 856-336-8663. Every other week is better than nothing. At least we've got a dependable guy there every other week. 3-11pm shifts suck.

bald bull
09-16-2009, 05:04 PM
wow man i never said i was scared first off. I know he is a strong dude. i am alright myself for a RAW lifter too, but have a lot of room to get stronger. My work schedule conflicts with his lifting time at least till Dec 19th when the prison switches shifts. I want to find out if they train Fri or Sat and where in fishtown?

If you can, train with Tone. He's a great bencher and very knowledgable. If you make excuses as to why you can't because you're scared, you'll never go anywhere. Get with guys that are bigger, stronger, and smarter than you are and you'll excel.

Hey tone!

Hazerboy
09-17-2009, 03:31 PM
ya i used to train at Iron Sport till i got hurt, I was on MTV scarred or You Tube you may have seen my squatting accident back in Dec 06. I train at the prison gym or at Ballys which is down the road thats why i go there and it was the only place my wife would let me train after i got hurt(LOL) so i am stuck in a gay contract till March 10". I am putting up 475 RAW bench and would like to get back in my bench shirt. My best comp bench single ply USAPL bench is 512lbs. best comp pull ias 650lbs same USAPL meet as well.

I'm assuming its ok to post this cause you brought it up but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otqbG5CbZ7E

DAMN that looked intense. Did you just take a bad step? have you squatted sense?

bald bull
09-18-2009, 02:13 PM
ya man i took a bad step out of the rack esp since i have killed that weight before. My heel like gave out when i was taking my steps. You know the funny thing is after 585 i went right to 675 which is fine but i went to unrack it the first time and it did not feel rigth so i should have just left well enough alone, but no instead i unrack it again and boom that **** happens. Yes i have squatted since only up to 455 though which was solid, but i dont want to chance any higher yet. I just want it to supplement my pull.