PDA

View Full Version : My Small Diet Problem!

Narinder
04-24-2002, 05:18 AM
I have a strong mind and I do want to achieve my goal, I know how to diet, but the problem is that, my mom makes a lot of Indian food (Iím a British Indian), some of it consists of oily fatty foods. This is like a traditional type of food for me, for 6 months Iíve been making my own high protein recipes. I have cut down the types of foods my mom makes and started to eat properly to gain mass.

So Iím just basically cutting down on these foods, but my mom doesnít really understand, Iím trying to eat it in moderation.

Does anyone have this type of problem within their diet?

YatesNightBlade
04-24-2002, 07:55 AM
Are you from Bradford ??? Just curious.

When I used to live at home I had problems. Mainly the fact that my mom had crisps and chocolate in the cupboards.

I love curry and have it alot for my tea at the moment. Try and get your mother to use Brown rice for you with plenty of chicken. Get her to cook in Olive Oil too. If your eating clean during the day dont worry too much.

So long as you getting lots of protein from the meal it's not really a problem. Buy an extra chicken breast and get your mom to toss it into the curry or whatever it is your eating. If your bothered about fat just increase cardio.

Hope this helps.

Tryska
04-24-2002, 07:58 AM
what is she making that's so oily and fatty?

wait...are you north or south indian?

gino
04-24-2002, 07:58 AM
Did you try to explain to her why you want to eat more protein? Maybe if you explain how protein is essential to your training, she's understand. Would she be willing to include more meats in her meals?

Tryska
04-24-2002, 08:00 AM
yeah, that's the other thing...are y'all vegetarian, or your family rather?

Narinder
04-24-2002, 09:08 AM
YatesNightBlade, YES I live in Bradford, we eat a lot of meat. I've started to get my own food from the supermarkets. I eat well all day but in the evening sometimes I have my moms cooking.

Jane
04-24-2002, 05:02 PM
I had the same problem with russian food. It is very, very rich. How about cooking for yourself? You need to learn that at one point anyway. Try to compromise with your mom when you can, see if she is open minded to getting more protein in. If you only have it sometimes it shouldn't be much of a problem, especially if you're trying to gain mass--you need the calories.

Tryska
04-24-2002, 07:15 PM
i honestly would need to know what he's eating. i mean most curries aren't really that high in fat, or rather can be adjusted down in fat. or made with quality fats.

it depends on what he eats,imo.

Narinder
04-25-2002, 02:38 AM
Yes, I do my own cooking which I enjoy :)

nejar462
04-25-2002, 07:11 PM
Narinder, american indian, i have had the EXACT same problems. I'm assuming you're asian indian.

lol i should make my own thread, indian parents and understanding aren't two things that go together, like curls and a squat rack, to people without experience, it might seem silly for me to say they don't go together, but they really don't when you have experience.

You can't reason with her, don't try, other people can reason with their parents cause their parents aren't out of their minds.

Indian parents won't understand that you want to train, or get better at something that won't put more money into your wallets, don't even mention you play any kind of sports, to them thats equivalent to killing vishnu and shiva in the most painful way.

basically just don't eat what she gives you, and instead down a hard can of tuna, she'll get really mad. But she will give up when her crazy indian movies are on, they're long and dumb but they keep them occupied. Rent her a lot of movies, that will keep her from bothering you.

a few other things, not relating to weightlifting but with indian parents,

make sure she hasn't made some ridiculous promise to your gods, once my mom did that to my cousin cause of something really dumb(basically in india it is life threatening, but in america where we have things like techonology and progress, it was considered minor), then my cousin had to go to india to climb a mountain because we're a bunch of crazy pagans and we thought the boogie man would kill us all and take our money.

she has definitely set up some kind of ridiculous arranged marriage to somethign that resembles a hairy monkey more then a girl, just ignore her and she'll just keep yelling, "Dika, maru mathu kai" Then, an indian movie will come on and she'll get distracted.

I have almost perfected the art of handling indian parents, this might seem cruel, but if you move out and make money they'll become friends with you again to leech cash.

BTW, in our indian scriptures it mentions that bothering your children even when they're doing something right will make them grow with character, and if it doesn't i have no idea where all these indian parents get this idea.

to all of you people who think our food is healthy, its not, its required to fry everything in the fattest oil possible, then put more fat on it, and try to extract the little protein there is so more fat/poison can be put in.

Tryska
04-25-2002, 07:26 PM
<~~~~~~~is 100% east indian but was never raised even remotely like that.

speak for yourself man. *lol*

and it still depends on what region's cooking your talking about. maybe you northern types use ghee and oil for everything, but in the south it's chilis.

nejar462
04-25-2002, 07:34 PM
lol, tryska right on the money, they pour ghee on like there's no tomorrow.

Tryska
04-25-2002, 07:37 PM
it's wheatbased too, right?

i dunno, we are technically christians.....therefore dinner wasn't dinner unless meat was on the table. beef even. *lol* but my dad being a doctor and all, we just naturally cooked with less fat.

i was taught to make currie with no more than 2 tbsps of oil - canola. i use olive oil for everything instead. my mom did fry any meat she didn't curry tho. and some vegetables too, but again, no more than 2tbsps of oil, and a non-stick pan.

nejar462
04-25-2002, 08:31 PM
when you say you're east asian, you mean the islands right? there are many key differences between how we make food, its disgusting how much oil my mom uses when she makes indian food, but she is realy getting sick of it

indian food is hard to make, unhealthy, and tastes bad, my mom is starting to finally realize this, and wants to get rid of it, only my father refuses to finally leave indian food.

Tryska
04-25-2002, 08:35 PM
no. i say east indian, as opposed to west indian, which is the islands. I was born in india dude.

Tryska
04-25-2002, 08:38 PM
also, the other difference, i think is, that my mom really never learned to cook. and didn't particularly like cooking when she did, so she adapted her recipes for ease of use, so there wasn't 12billion steps.

i personally love indian food. depends tho..don't like indian food from north indian vegetarian families. they use way too much asofetida in my opinion. (blech)

thalapathi
04-26-2002, 09:42 AM
Narinder- The easy way is to use the same spices and seasonings and then instead of frying it in ghee almost all meat can be easily just grilled using a George Foreman grill or put it in the oven. I have also found that instead of using too much flour to marinate the meat to get the crispy layer and the masala taste, it is easier and better to just use yoghurt.
The problem I had is with South Indian food on the other hand is the excessive carbs. Idli,dosa,vada, almost everything is too carb heavy and too little protein.
Nejar- I came here to the US for grad school a few years back, and did my schooling and undergrad in India. One thing I did observe here is that some Indian parents arent as open minded as parents now are in India. It was surprising to note that. Nejar, things have changed in Indian cities where obesity etc are becomming a problem and you wouldnt beleive the number of gyms, fitness centers that are opening up in all cities and how many people have started to workout. I do agree with you though that the mindset is different.
Tryska- Could you please share the recepies you got for various curries. I do almost the same thing all the time. Some yogurt with chicken masala and chicken breasts. Let it sit for an hour and then grill it and thats getting boring.

Tryska
04-26-2002, 09:46 AM
yeah.....umm....let's see......do you eat beef? and do you have a pressure cooker?

thalapathi
04-26-2002, 09:55 AM
Tryska- no I dont eat beef. I have a pressure cooker which I just use for making dhal most of the times.
ps: do u know where I could look up the nutrition info for moong dhal, toor dhal etc?

Tryska
04-26-2002, 10:16 AM
mmm..that i don't know...i've always just gone with the standard "lentils" info.

you could use mutton if you eat that for some recipes, but here's a few:

fish - i like to use halibut steaks or filets for this, but basically any white firm flaky fish will work. Rub it down with a little olive oil, turmeric, chili powder and salt, and then grill till it's cooked through, or dry-fry in a non-stick skillet. (the olive you rubbed down with is enough)

to curry chicken, shrimp or harboiled eggs:

3 cloves garlic, half inch ginger ponded with a mortar and pestle til a paste (or you can use those bottled ginger-garlic combo thingies - 1 tbsp should be right), 1 med onion diced. saute in 2 tbsps olive oil till onions are translucent. Add 1tsp cumin, 1tsp chilli, 1/2tsp turmeric, i sometimes add dried curry leaves and maybe a 1/2tsp garam masala as well and saute with the onions till you can smell it. (it's best to have this already set aside in a bowl so you can just dump it in, as soon as the onions go soft, otherwise the garlic might scorch while your getting everything together). When the spices are fragrant, then add your chciken, shrimp, eggs, etc, mix em around in the mixture until they are coated, and then add either 1 can tomato sauce, or a large chopped tomato (remove the seeds first otherwise it tends to get to watery). then cover, and let simmer for 30 minutes. (this is all in a regular saucepan). add salt to taste, and then simmer for another 15 and your all set. this works for 1.5 lbs of chicken or shrimp, or a dozen eggs.

and lastly, if you want a red meat recipe (mutton, beef whatever)

in your pressure cooker, put the cubed meat, a medium onion chopped, salt, pepper, a couple curry leaves, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2tsp turmeric, 1/2tsp garam masala, 1/2 tsp chili and a 1/2 cup water. close it up, and put the wright on, and on medium heat cook for 40 minutes (not the traditional way o using a pressure cooker i know) after 40 minutes, turn it off open it up, and if there is still water there, simmer it off, then add 2 tbsp of olive oil, and dry fry till the meat is kinda crsipy and shreddy looking. and that's that.

as yates said, use brown rice or brown and wild rice mixes on the side. that meat recipe i usually like to eat with sweet potato on the side.

hope that helps. :)

Narinder
04-26-2002, 11:11 AM
I'm actually a British Indian, but for the past 6 months I've cut down on the oily foods that my mom makes and started to eat properly with high in protein foods. It's not as bad as it looks, I don't eat indian food everynight, all throughout the day I eat properly and in a other nights I have my moms cooking.

I'm going away to university next year and I will probably live at a student halls residence, and I will have a STRICT diet and train harder. :)

Btw, Is canned Tuna ok to have? has it got a lot of crap in it?

Tryska
04-26-2002, 11:19 AM
no....it's just tuna. and salt. and mercury.

Narinder
04-26-2002, 12:38 PM
Tryska, where u at? location ?

YatesNightBlade
04-26-2002, 12:44 PM
23 Franco Avenue, Atlanta, georgia, USA ;)

I have pics.

Tryska
04-26-2002, 12:45 PM
*lmao*

so much for privacy.

thalapathi
04-26-2002, 12:46 PM
Tryska- thanks for the tips.

Tryska
04-26-2002, 01:00 PM
your welcome. hope they helped out.

Narinder
04-26-2002, 01:31 PM
Yates, post ya pics plz :) me wanna see ?

YatesNightBlade
04-26-2002, 01:44 PM
lol. Look around and pics can be found.

Hey that rhymed.

Tryska
04-26-2002, 01:46 PM
your a poet and din't know it.

today's just a rhyming kind of day.

nejar462
04-26-2002, 03:50 PM
Sorry, i was just making sure, i might have gone totally nuts but sometimes i get really pissed and type a whole lot, just don't it narinder its lke poison.

Tryska
04-26-2002, 09:06 PM
you'll eventually make peace with your culture man. it prolly just seems really wierd compared to all your friends lifestyles now.

the doc
04-26-2002, 09:21 PM
hmmm those curries look yummy :)

Tryska
04-26-2002, 09:30 PM
they taste pretty damn good too.

nejar462
04-27-2002, 12:03 AM
nah i don't think so, i always thought my culture would just fade away, like it would matter a lot less after i move out, then when i have my own kids and im a grandfather i mean, its seems like something i'd only mention once or twice.

Tryska
04-27-2002, 09:17 AM
why would you do that tho?

i mean it's a beautiful culture once you look at history altogether. perhaps not the way your parents are trying to bring you up, but regardless you should have pride in yourself and where you come from.

Vynod
04-27-2002, 10:44 AM
I am an Indian too. I agree with Nejar at some points. But Nejar is too much prejudiced about Inidan parents. Yes my parents are narrow minded but its the way they had been brought up and raised and lived. I had my own tactics to get myself away from their crazy whims and fantasies for their son's upbringing.
India is just 50 years old free country. It needs some time to heal. Go one generation up yours and you will only meet people who have seen bad days.
Narinder ,to answer your question: you should cook your own food and eat your home food no more than 2 evenings a year (I mean a week). I know its highly oily and fatty but its yum. Roasted chicken/beef is unbeatlble with all its spices and no oil or ghee.

nejar462
04-27-2002, 11:06 AM
yeah i did exxagerate, but for me it was never my cup of tea, i prefer american culture really.

Tryska
04-27-2002, 11:10 AM
i like my mix of both cultures.

actually i'm too american for most indians to deal with anyways.

the other indian families enver used to let their kids play with me and my brother and sister. i think perhaps cuz we embodied all that is evil. *lol* my folks marched to the beat of a different drummer, and i certainly think we're more well-adjusted for it.