PDA

View Full Version : Carbs Question

Radeon
09-12-2009, 03:05 PM
So we all know that protein builds muscle, and a small amount of carbs helps protein synthesis, and the rest gives the body primary energy source. But if you are say bulking, and on a high calorie diet, what actual use is eating more carbs going to do to your mean muscle mass build up? Yea muscles will look fuller but is there actually any reason to eat loads of carbs above and beyond the level you need to keep your energy up?

digitaldream
09-14-2009, 01:18 PM
carbs is more harder to burn, it will cause fats

LuNa
09-14-2009, 05:49 PM
carbs is more harder to burn, it will cause fats

Thats incorrect.

Radeon
09-15-2009, 12:09 PM
bump for topic, I cant work it out myself

Unreal
09-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Carbs are calories. If your bulking then you need calories. If your hitting your macros for protein and fat, then why not fill the rest of your caloric needs with tasty carbs?

Radeon
09-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Thats my point, you get muscle from protein, and need a certain amount of fat, and carbs for energy, but you don't need lots and lots of carbs to keep energy up, so why do people eat more than they need, must be a reason I just cant figure out how to aids muscle building.

Unreal
09-15-2009, 02:11 PM
They shouldn't eat more then they need. But if you need 4000 calories to grow, then that is a good amount of carbs/calories. Your body needs fuel to rebuild, heat itself, move, and run your muscles. Giving your body plenty of carbs lets it use the protein/fat to build muscle/tissue instead of burning those for energy.

Holto
09-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Thats my point, you get muscle from protein, and need a certain amount of fat, and carbs for energy, but you don't need lots and lots of carbs to keep energy up, so why do people eat more than they need, must be a reason I just cant figure out how to aids muscle building.

It's extremely difficult to eat exactly what you need for optimal growth. IMO this is the whole concept of bulking (where you gain some fat). To throw some numbers out there, an athlete that maintains @ 3500, could be bulking effectively at 4500. Going to 5000 might just result in more fat gain.

So the idea is to err on the side of MASSIVE! (kidding)

So replace the word carb in your post with calories and this is your answer. All that said I'm extremely against the dirty bulk because cutting sucks and while you're cutting you're not really growing so it's time wasted. I'm all for the careful bulk, because I'd rather start slow and determine I'm not gaining fast enough (and add cals) than to start too high and put on fat that would cost me weeks of cutting.

/ramble