PDA

View Full Version : Another bench question

BigTallOx
09-13-2009, 05:43 AM
OK, I've posted questions here about how I feel that it's necessary for me to bring the bar down really slow when I get near my max because otherwise I just cant press the weight back up. Yes I know I'm using extra energy bringing it down but that just doesn't seem to matter. The previous concensus was that it was a mental issue. At the time I didn't feel like it was but accepted the concensus, but now after watching video from my max effort bench warmup yesterday I'm reconsidering that it really is mental, because the part I feel like I have to go slow through is exactly where my elbows get to 90 degrees, once I pass that I feel like the need to go slow is gone and I can let the bar down not slowly. I'm pretty sure some people have mistaken this to mean I loose tightness at the bottom, but I can assure you that's not the case when benching raw ( I may loose tightness in my shirt, but I'm working on that ). Anyway, maybe it IS mental, but I really don't think it is. Here's a video from of me warming up raw yesterday ( I know this sounds pathetic but sometimes it still amazes me that I can bench 315 raw pretty easily now, lol )....

Any comments on this or other issues relating to the extremely long arm bencher will be appreciated.

PVMu8TZX9LU

Barbaccio
09-13-2009, 06:37 AM
Definitely a mental issue but there are things you can do physically to fix this. I'm 6'6 370lbs so I have an idea of what you feel when benching. The reason you're so slow at the top is you don't feel in control. With your arms that long, you have really bad leverage and when your elbows break it's a lot to control. Secondly, your setup also is not nearly as tight as it needs to be and this adds to the instability. Tuck those shoulder blades, work on that arch. and really turn the elbows in towards the side to activate your lats.

barbell01
09-13-2009, 06:38 AM
raise your rack height please.

dynamo
09-13-2009, 07:37 AM
raise your rack height please.

I agree with this. When I set up on the power rack to bench I set the pegs to where my arms are almost at lock out and all I have to do is lift the weight over the pegs and pull it out. I can't tell if that bench is adjustable but if you can raise it up do that, I bet you lose a lot of tightness just picking that bar up, and definitely try to tuck your elbows more. I'm not sure if you've seen the Dave Tate video on how to bench press but it is good. He spends a bunch of time talking about arch and set up but I got the most out of it when he talked about arms its at about 6:21.

Dh3t6T-nqP0

Lones Green
09-13-2009, 08:31 AM
What happened to that whole arching thing?

BigTallOx
09-13-2009, 08:40 AM
I agree with this.(snip)

You and Dave Tate are exactly right.

I guess before I didn't think it mattered all that much, and my lifting buddies said they'd rather do the 3 man lift off instead. But now I agree, I think the rack height is a huge issue and it's affecting my bench, especially when I bench in my shirt. I'm going to have to insist on raising the rack. Even though it's going to be a big pain, it's going to help my bench.

BigTallOx
09-13-2009, 08:45 AM
What happened to that whole arching thing?

I've been stretching with the foam roller. My back has gained a little flexibility but I feel like since I cant get my feet under me, it's still hard to arch on the bench because my knees are so high up. I don't know what to do about my set up, it's kind of frustrating. I'm getting stronger but I think I could bench a whole lot more if I could set up better. I really wish I could raise the entire bench but I guess I shouldn't think about that since it's not legal at the meet.

BigTallOx
09-13-2009, 08:54 AM
I'm 6'6 370lbs so I have an idea of what you feel when benching.

I'd love to see a video of your bench.

The reason you're so slow at the top is you don't feel in control. With your arms that long, you have really bad leverage and when your elbows break it's a lot to control.

I do feel like I don't have much control, but it's not really at the top it's when my elbows get close to 90 degrees.

Secondly, your setup also is not nearly as tight as it needs to be and this adds to the instability. Tuck those shoulder blades, work on that arch. and really turn the elbows in towards the side to activate your lats.

I think I could tuck my shoulder blades more if the rack hight was right. I'm tucking my elbows more than I was before, but I'm finding it difficult to tuck them any more. When I do it stresses my shoulders. I've been doing more upper back/lat accessory work hoping that would help. That's probably just just going to take some time.

dynamo
09-13-2009, 08:58 AM
I've been stretching with the foam roller. My back has gained a little flexibility but I feel like since I cant get my feet under me, it's still hard to arch on the bench because my knees are so high up. I don't know what to do about my set up, it's kind of frustrating. I'm getting stronger but I think I could bench a whole lot more if I could set up better.

Well I'm sure you guys can leave your weight on the bar and do a 3 man deadlift and pick the bar off the rack and put it on the floor and back up again. As long a you guys are working together it can't be that big of a pain.

barbell01
09-13-2009, 09:30 AM
you can still do a three man liftoff with a taller rack height.... it sounds like your training partners don't feel like adjusting the rack in between sets.....

Beverly McD.
09-13-2009, 09:47 AM
BTO, you are using the same rack height I do, and I'm 5'3".

Raise the rack height, and slide down far enough on the bench that when you get the hand-off your arms are already straight.
Right now you are taking it out with bent arms and then, while under load, trying to lock your elbows.
In a sense, you're actually pressing out the weight twice.

dammstrate
09-13-2009, 09:55 AM
I am 6'3" and my son is 6'7"+, so we can feel you pain. We are the authors of the world record board press vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RctI2E93icc

You can probably get 13-14 in there....seriously, it's a pain in the ass to get set up on a bench when you are tall. We have found that hip flexor and ab flexibility is more important than back flexibility in getting your feet behind you and tight, which
you need to try to do. It will get you tight and get your chest up in the air cutting down the stroke. The front of your body
needs to be flexible to ALLOW you back to flex. We aren't that good at it, but the more we work the front flexibilty the
better we get.

Another big item is flexing/contracting your lats. Right before starting the bar down, squeeze you lats DOWN towards your
hips, like a bodybuilder would do in a side chest pose. You can see this happen in these two vids below (the little jolt right before the bar starts to decend). This tightness/stability give you a platform to ride the bar down into, allowing you to make
it as speedy or slow of a decent as you want.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RingTheBellTD#play/uploads/0/JOBnF09CI1k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5h9fT8bPqw

Remember....tall people rule.

BigTallOx
09-13-2009, 10:50 AM
I am 6'3" and my son is 6'7"+, so we can feel you pain. We are the authors of the world record board press vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RctI2E93icc

You can probably get 13-14 in there....seriously, it's a pain in the ass to get set up on a bench when you are tall.

That video is awesome, LOL.

We have found that hip flexor and ab flexibility is more important than back flexibility in getting your feet behind you and tight, which
you need to try to do.

I guess that makes since, my hip flexibility is bad. It seems to be taking forever to improve too.

Another big item is flexing/contracting your lats. Right before starting the bar down, squeeze you lats DOWN towards your
hips, like a bodybuilder would do in a side chest pose. You can see this happen in these two vids below (the little jolt right before the bar starts to decend). This tightness/stability give you a platform to ride the bar down into, allowing you to make
it as speedy or slow of a decent as you want.

Thanks, I'll try that.

BigTallOx
09-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Raise the rack height, and slide down far enough on the bench that when you get the hand-off your arms are already straight.
Right now you are taking it out with bent arms and then, while under load, trying to lock your elbows.
In a sense, you're actually pressing out the weight twice.

OK. Thanks, I'll start doing that.

Travis Bell
09-13-2009, 12:29 PM
At Westside we have one who is 6'4" and another who is 6'8"

I'm 5'9", Jay Fry is a little shorter, either way we all bench on the same bench. If you want the rack moved, don't make other people do it, just go and help them lift the bar or whatever.

I do it all the time, yes even when I'm in a shirt.

If your crew is that unhelpful that they give you a hard time about moving the rack up and down, then they aren't much of a crew.

And yes, bringing the bar down slow is a mental thing

BigTallOx
09-13-2009, 02:07 PM
At Westside we have one who is 6'4" and another who is 6'8"

I'm 5'9", Jay Fry is a little shorter, either way we all bench on the same bench. If you want the rack moved, don't make other people do it, just go and help them lift the bar or whatever.

I do it all the time, yes even when I'm in a shirt.

Are there any videos of the 6'8" guy benching? I'd love to see how somebody my height sets up on the bench.

If your crew is that unhelpful that they give you a hard time about moving the rack up and down, then they aren't much of a crew.

I think part of it is that it's harder for them to lift off when the rack is high. I'm sure they'll do it if I say everybody here says it will help my bench.

And yes, bringing the bar down slow is a mental thing

OK.

Travis Bell
09-13-2009, 03:17 PM
It's Matt Smith and no I don't have video of him on hand, but he sets up just like the rest of us do