PDA

View Full Version : Benchin Alone?!?~

ShooterX
09-13-2009, 02:41 PM
I think i might need to abandon Shirted Board work while I am Lifting Alone. Just Work Triples in my Shirts.

Im having a hell of a time trying to Setup, Attach Boards with a Band, and get into my Shirt. Then on top of all that Lift-off for Myself.

I tried just using a Single Ply Shirt but I still lost my Setup whenever I lift-off anything over 400.

I know i probably answered my own question but I could use some Advice.

Finding a Team isnt an option really. There's a crew of guys an Hour away, but Im the most experienced/Strong guy in that crew so I dont get any feedback really. And i cant afford to drive 2 hours more than a couple times a month.

Lones Green
09-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Then drive to the team thats going to help you out the most as often as possible. It sucks, but its something I've been forced to do. Its really not that bad, and not that expensive. There's been times when I've gone to a gym 3 hours away once a week. I use about a tank of gas in my truck and its worth it.

Ryano
09-13-2009, 03:07 PM
There's a crew of guys an Hour away, but Im the most experienced/Strong guy in that crew so I dont get any feedback really. And i cant afford to drive 2 hours more than a couple times a month.

2 times a month is better than never. Even if you are the most experienced, that's no reason not to seek help. They will learn and you will have spotters/helpers until they learn what to look for in your lifts.

SELK
09-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Buy a shermworks free spotter. I use one for all of my training now and it is excellent.

Its actually easier to setup then having someone lift off to you. A few weeks out from the contest do a few sessions getting used to a liftoff again.

The thing is pretty cool, I also use it like a monolift too for squatting. Its actually better then a monolift in alot of ways because you don't need 3 spotters.

this is assuming you have a home gym, the set-up takes 30mins or so, so its not something you want to be installing everyday.

martin
09-13-2009, 03:55 PM
2 times a month is better than never. Even if you are the most experienced, that's no reason not to seek help. They will learn and you will have spotters/helpers until they learn what to look for in your lifts.

I agree.

I train with 3 guys who have never done anything like this before. I hadn't either.

We had a great time trying to work out how to use a bench shirt and squat suit.

I am strongest by far, but they help me out no end. They have learned alot and it benefits me no end now.

Teach them and it will help you.

vdizenzo
09-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Can you bench in a power rack. A substitute for board work could be rack lockouts.

Ryano
09-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Can you bench in a power rack. A substitute for board work could be rack lockouts.

I thought he was specifically asking about shirted work. For raw work, I would agree, but you can't do rack lockouts in a shirt.

ShooterX
09-13-2009, 07:31 PM
I always do my work Alone in the Rack. Just worried about Boards and Liftoffs mostly.
Plus alone I cant get into a really tight shirt. Thanks for the responses.

KarstenDD
09-13-2009, 08:32 PM
I drive 45 minutes each way twice a week to train.

Think about it, is being the strongest guy in your crew, driving an hour to the gym, and spending some money to train really worse than training alone?

As I recall, Vincent used to drive about 200 miles each way to train with the Metal Militia guys every weekend.

evilxxx
09-13-2009, 09:27 PM
I thought he was specifically asking about shirted work. For raw work, I would agree, but you can't do rack lockouts in a shirt.

I do them all the time with no problem...you just gotta be really careful because its not the bar touching on one center spot, its touching on both sides and it can throw you off if you hit one side first too fast.

Ryano
09-13-2009, 10:23 PM
I do them all the time with no problem...you just gotta be really careful because its not the bar touching on one center spot, its touching on both sides and it can throw you off if you hit one side first too fast.

I've always done rack lockouts from the bottom of the lift, not the top. You can't do that in a shirt. Maybe you do them differently. That's fine.

ShooterX
09-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Interesting, using rack lockouts in the same way as Boards.

drew
09-14-2009, 08:41 AM
If there's a crew that you can train with an hour away, then you should be there training with them. Rather than worry about them not being able to help you with feedback, maybe you could teach them a few things while they load, spot and lft off for you. Pretty good trade, right? Maybe they'll get stronger for having you there and maybe they'll learn something. Hell, maybe they'll learn enough to start giving you appropriate feedback.

Off Road
09-14-2009, 08:50 AM
I'm in no way experienced enough to answer this question, but I've heard of people putting some padding on the pins and using that instead of boards.