PDA

View Full Version : what would you do if.....

gopostal42
09-13-2009, 10:33 PM
you were lifting at a meet and saw 11-13 year olds spotting loading?:confused:

jtteg_x
09-13-2009, 10:35 PM
If I compete/attend a meet, I would be spotting my partners and they would do the same for me. I would request for an adult to spot. If no one is available, I look around in a circle and find the biggest guy on sight and ask nicely

MarcusWild
09-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Call child protective services? Seriously though, that's why I only do certain meets. It's not worth competing when a missed lift can mean serious injury.

jp2
09-14-2009, 12:11 AM
that is scary

Brian Hopper
09-14-2009, 01:02 AM
I would be nervous as hell and probably wouldn't compete if I couldn't use my own spotters. Did you witness this at a meet recently?

Lones Green
09-14-2009, 03:23 AM
Call child protective services? Seriously though, that's why I only do certain meets. It's not worth competing when a missed lift can mean serious injury.

LOL, +1. I agree with this.

kornmong
09-14-2009, 05:35 AM
I would pick the kids up by their hair and toss them around the room, making sure they hit as many corners and edges as possible

deeder
09-14-2009, 06:57 AM
I wouldn't lift.. No offense to any women reading this... But I have had/seen some close calls even with smaller women spotting. I don't even want to think about all that could go wrong with children spotting.

WillKuenzel
09-14-2009, 07:01 AM
You didn't happen to be at a meet this past weekend in SC were you? I saw the same thing.

Judas
09-14-2009, 08:22 AM
you were lifting at a meet and saw 11-13 year olds spotting loading?:confused:

I'd do what i always do... watch, coach. You see, seeing kids spot and load would be nothing new to me. Happens all the time here in the wonderful powerlifting black hole that is B.C. ...

If i was lifting...??? well, i wouldn't miss a lift!

johnnyo_99
09-14-2009, 03:42 PM
with all this being said I've been injured because of adult spotters ****ing up. I will never compete again unless my own training partners are there to spot me, period.

Sean S
09-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Doesn't sound real safe. Thankfully the Lexen guys up here always have outstanding spotters at their meets.

Judas
09-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Hah! One meet up here i went to watch had these two young newbies, obviously from the hosting club, spotting for the benches. They weren't 11-13, but they were small, skinny kids. They couldn't have been lifting for more than a month, and you could not visually tell. They spotted/loaded the whole flight and had the bigger benchers looking a bit nervous. When they were about to line up the last bencher, a 500lb lift, i personally went up and asked the ref if that was a good idea. He found a couple other guys... but holy ****... i had to remind him... Brilliant.

theBarzeen
09-14-2009, 08:54 PM
I've talked to meet directors to ask if we can have a few of our guys spot at a meet.... they are usually cool as long as they spotters agree to help for a few other lifters as well......

TankofZenzenBB
09-14-2009, 09:56 PM
It was either IL state meet or Summer Bash that there was high school kids spotting. It was a scary site. They were about 150 pounds soaking wet, spotting 800-1000 pound squats, 500-700 pound benches. We had Ernie Lilliebridge Sr. to back spot lifters since a lifter dropped the weight and the spotters couldn't catch it and screwed up our monolift. I think I had spot a 700 pound bench since the lifter didn't want the kids to spot him. 2 years ago at the state meet, I don't think there was one dropped squat or bench. The spotters were also bigger and were high school kids.

theBarzeen
09-15-2009, 05:32 PM
It was either IL state meet or Summer Bash that there was high school kids spotting. It was a scary site. They were about 150 pounds soaking wet, spotting 800-1000 pound squats, 500-700 pound benches. We had Ernie Lilliebridge Sr. to back spot lifters since a lifter dropped the weight and the spotters couldn't catch it and screwed up our monolift. I think I had spot a 700 pound bench since the lifter didn't want the kids to spot him. 2 years ago at the state meet, I don't think there was one dropped squat or bench. The spotters were also bigger and were high school kids.

exactly the meet I was thinking of.....Ernie added a lot of confidence at state.... I ended up spotting a few guys on the lighter day as well...... even that was a little scary. I honestly think that the teeny-tiny spotters did a better job than the bigger guys they brought in later. That group just had no idea what to do when the guy dumped a squat out of your gym's monolift.....At worlds I was lucky enough to have Nick Detman spotting behind me as well and it really added peace of mind....... I know that one back spotter can't make up for four middle-school kids trying to side spot but just having someone who knows their stuff there to keep the spotters and loaders on the ball was awesome.

TankofZenzenBB
09-15-2009, 09:52 PM
I was at worlds and saw Detman back spotting. He checked out the weight to make sure the bar wasn't misloaded and directed the spotters what they have to do. I wish he does this at every meet when he's not judging.

WillKuenzel
09-16-2009, 03:41 AM
These weren't high school kids, but idiots nonetheless.

ljNXWFUlOeI

I did come back and squat 605 on my 2nd, though. I was a little pissed off but very thankful I didn't get hurt. No thanks to poor spotters.

dbc3po
09-16-2009, 04:33 AM
I was going to do that meet and try and put up 900, glad I didnt go now. That back spotter was way to far away to be effective. Tough break man, way to come back on your second.

getting there
09-16-2009, 05:22 AM
A few meets I have done in the past we had a local high school powerlifting team and their coach spot and load. I was totally confident with them doing it. Then again it was the Glen Mills powerlifting team and if anyone has ever heard of them they are pretty much all man-children. Some pretty big mofos. :)

WillKuenzel
09-16-2009, 07:50 AM
I was going to do that meet and try and put up 900, glad I didnt go now. That back spotter was way to far away to be effective. Tough break man, way to come back on your second.LOL, after that, the crew from SCBarbell and Team Torture popped up there to spot. I didn't feel so uncomfortable after that.

Judas
09-16-2009, 08:32 AM
I honestly think that the teeny-tiny spotters did a better job than the bigger guys they brought in later.

That happened at one ov our big meets too. I had the two biggest, strongest guys i could find spotting the heavyweight benches. One was a top nationally ranked highland games guy, the other just a big freakin' guy (with a big DL). One lifter was taking 500+ for a ride with a bench shirt small enough for his girlfriend, got a little out ov (the very small) line with that shirt, and ended up eating the bar because the spotters missed. They both left after that... understandably, but the meet had been marred. After that only the little guys would spot, and because everyone was so edgy they ended up catching quite a few big benches. They never missed one.

Now i'll take a 180lb guy who knows what to do over a Herculean 300lb newbie on the platform anyday! I find myself sometimes giving a quick lecture to spotters/loaders now even at other peoples meets.