PDA

View Full Version : What's better, bencing in the squat rack or on a bench press?

Brian999
09-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Hey guys, since I twisted a ligament on my neck I've been using my spare time on setting up my gym. I have everything, but a bench now. I have 2 big weight trees, a squat rack which I just set up yesterday, texas power bar, 500lb's in plates, and a nice 16' rubber mat thats 3/4" thick. By the time Im healed up, I'll be lifting here at home.

Im shopping around for a bench, or bench press but I got to thinking whats better, benching in the squat rack or on an actual bench press? I realise it's probably the same but if you bench on the squat rack don't you touch the pins instead of your chest? Less ROM then, no? Do you just touch and go with the pins? For strength, and size what would be better?

Thanks!

Brian Hopper
09-14-2009, 09:16 PM
We do pretty much all of our benching in a power rack. We do all sorts of lifts to help aid our bench. The only time we use a regular bench is when we shirt up. So using a rack to bench in isn't a bad idea.

Cmanuel
09-15-2009, 12:06 AM
If your rack has adequate spacing in the pin holes you can hold a good arch in your back so you don't hit the pins. If you miss a lift just loosen the arch and let the pins take it

thewicked
09-15-2009, 11:02 AM
rack..

safe and simple and allows you to adapt the bench to fit your setup and positioning PERFECTLY. Not to mention it saves space and money on equipment having it all in one apparatus.

Travis Bell
09-15-2009, 11:06 AM
I prefer to bench on a comp spec bench (like a Forza) to be honest, but that's if I have a handout guy and spotters

If I'm by myself I bench in my rack.

If you're looking to cut cost, get a bench for your squat rack. Don't waste money on a crappy bench that is flimsy and far away from comp specs

Zak Freiwald
09-15-2009, 01:46 PM
I agree with Travis. If you're training in the garage- you do what you got to do. But nothing beats a Forza with a new pad. When I use a a bull**** bench at a regular chain gym to go heavy, I can always apprecate the difference a Forza makes. Then again- they oughta be a treat to use- one costs about as much as an ugly but dependable used car.

Chris Smith
09-15-2009, 01:59 PM
We bench out of a power rack 90% of the time. I have a Nebula competition bench also and usually use it the last shirt day before a meet just to get used to benching on it. With the power rack, we usually set up on the bench by walking behind the rack and setting up from there, but with a bench, it is too hard to do--just a minor adjustment--shouldn't be too big of a deal. If you are pinched for space, I would just bench out of a power rack.

vdizenzo
09-15-2009, 02:04 PM
I prefer a Forza, but am fine in a rack.

Brian Hopper
09-15-2009, 06:33 PM
You can never go wrong with a Forza Bench, it just sucks because they are so damn expensive!!!

Travis Bell
09-15-2009, 07:01 PM
No doubt about that. They are crazy expensive

Brian999
09-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks guys! I wish I can afford a Forza, but the price is steep. I'll just buy a good quality bench for my rack especially since some REALLY strong guys bench in a rack, convinced me ;)