PDA

View Full Version : The journey of a fat guy

busterdouglas
09-15-2009, 07:41 AM
To start I will tell you a bit about myself. I am 35 years old and weigh 200Lbs. I am 5’8” and I am about 30-40Lbs overweight. I have never seriously worked-out in my life other than when I was in the military and that wasn't weight training! Now I have gotten fat and lazy! I have two boys ages 3 and 1 and I want to be in shape to keep up with them in the next few years.

My goal is to lose the fat and gain muscle. I have just started my weight loss diet. I am consuming aprox. 2000 cal. including protien shake (x2) day and creatine shake pre-workout.

I started my work out routine yesterday.
Monday September 14, 2009

My routine consists of Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays

In the mornings of each work out days I do the The tabata protocol for 4 minutes on the elliptical trainer.

At night I do 5 Min low intensity pre-work-out on the elliptical trainer

25 min. of interval training post-workout on the elliptical trainer.

reps x sets
Squat 3x8
Straight leg deadlift 3x8
Bench press 3x8
Seated Row 3x8
Triceps pushdown 3x8
seated Bicep curls 3x8

Starting Weights
Squat 150 lbs
Straight leg deadlift 150 lbs
Bench press 160 lbs
Seated Row 160 lbs
Triceps pushdown 120 lbs
seated Bicep curls 120 lbs

It took me 25 minutes to complete the weight lifting routine and I did not push myself to failure but by the 3rd set I couldn’t do more than 10 reps, so I will keep it at 8. I took only 15- 20 seconds between each set and 1-2 minutes between each exercise.

I am not feeling sore this morning so I am unsure if that is a good or bad thing.

I will try to post photos of me and video of my workout as I am using a bowflex and would like to correct my form. (unfortunately free weights and a rack are not an option for me right now as I have this bowflex so I need to start with it until it has become obsolete when I run out of resistance bars as this equipment is limited to 210 lbs)

busterdouglas
09-17-2009, 07:06 AM
Wednesday September 16

I did the The tabata protocol for 4 minutes on the elliptical trainer in the morning.

Last night I couldnt increase weights by 5lbs as it is a limitation on the bowflex, so I increased by 10lbs. I was able to just do 8 reps. I also changed a few exercises outlined below. I took only 15- 20 seconds between each set and 1 minute between each exercise. I completed the routine in 20 minutes so I am unsure if I need to add another exercise to keep it at 25 minutes.

I did 5 Min low intensity pre-work-out on the elliptical trainer

Squat 160 lbs
Straight leg deadlift 160 lbs
bent over barbell row 160lbs
Bench press 170 lbs
French Press 170 lbs
Standing barbell Curls 120 lbs

Im still trying to find a routine that works without having a long rest time between exercises. I wanted to do pull-ups or chin ups but I dont have anywhere to do them so I did barbell curls instead.

busterdouglas
09-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Friday September 18, 2009

I did the The tabata protocol for 4 minutes on the elliptical trainer in the morning.

I increased by 10lbs. I was able to just do 8 reps. I took only 15- 20 seconds between each set and 1 1/2 minute between each exercise. I completed the routine in 25 minutes.

I did 5 Min low intensity pre-work-out on the elliptical trainer.

Squat 170 lbs
Straight leg deadlift 170 lbs
bent over barbell row 170lbs
Bench press 180 lbs
Triceps extensions 150 lbs
Chest Flys 120 lbs
30 AB crunches 100 lbs

I am experiencing lower back ache (burning) during my squats, deadlift and bent over barbell row, but the aching feeling stops after my workout, so I am unsure if it is incorrect form or overworking my lower back with these 3 exercises in a row or if it is just because these muscles are not used to this stress. I go through the steps in my head every time to try and make sure I am getting proper form.
(feet shoulder width apart, feet at 35 degree angle. Chest out, shoulders back, back arched, head up, inhale, decent, Hold breath, tighten up everything, hips lower than knees when in the hole, knees slightly past toes when in the hole, drive hips up first while maintain an arched back, push with quads, exhale at top) Am I missing anything crucial?

I am really starting to enjoy myself and I find myself looking forward to my next workout. I have not lost any weight yet but I do feel a bit stronger after 1 week.

Although losing fat weight is my primary goal, feeling stronger each day is taking over and I am not sure I am on the same path that I originally wanted to be on. I realize it is only the first week but I was hoping to drop 2 lbs already.

I will record a video on my workout to view my form. I will post it for critique but worried I may get mocked because I am using the bowflex and I may look stupid doing it.

busterdouglas
09-22-2009, 07:14 AM
September 21, 2009

I increased by 10lbs. I was able to just do 8 reps. I took only 15- 20 seconds between each set and 1 1/2 minute between each exercise. I completed the routine in 25 minutes.

5 min. of interval training post-workout on the elliptical trainer. I was a bit tired to do cardio as I started my workout late.

Squat 180 lbs
Straight leg deadlift 180 lbs
bent over barbell row 180lbs
Bench press 190 lbs
Triceps extensions 130 lbs (Dropped the weight down)
Chest Flys (didnt do)
30 AB crunches 120 lbs

busterdouglas
09-24-2009, 10:34 AM
September 23, 2009

Squat 190 lbs
Straight leg deadlift 190 lbs
bent over barbell row 190lbs
Bench press 200 lbs
Triceps extensions 140 lbs
Chest Flys 140
30 AB crunches 130 lbs

busterdouglas
09-29-2009, 09:14 AM
September 28, 2009

Squat 200 lbs
Straight leg deadlift 200 lbs
bent over barbell row 200 lbs
Bench press 210 lbs
Chest Flys 140
30 AB crunches 140 lbs

I have maxed out on weights (210 lbs) so I will have to increase my reps to 10-15. Not sure how this will affect my strength gains.

I am looking into my options for free weights or adding 2x100 lbs power rods.

busterdouglas
10-06-2009, 12:03 PM
October 2, 2009

Squat 210 lbs
Straight leg deadlift 210 lbs
bent over barbell row 210 lbs
Bench press 210 lbs
Chest Flys 140
30 AB crunches 140 lbs

Looks like I will need to buy the power rod upgrade from 210 to 310. For my next workout I will do 1 more set and increase reps to 10

busterdouglas
10-06-2009, 12:04 PM
October 5, 2009

didnt do the The tabata protocol in the morning.

Squat 210 lbs
Bench press 210 lbs
Triceps extensions 160 lbs
Chest Flys 160
30 AB crunches 140 lbs

I did 1 more set and increase reps to 10

busterdouglas
10-08-2009, 06:58 AM
October 7, 2009

I didnt do the The tabata protocol in the morning.

I did 4 sets and 10 reps

Squat 210 lbs
Bench press 210 lbs
Chest Flys 160
30 AB crunches 140 lbs

Off Road
10-08-2009, 07:33 AM
You are outgrowing that Bowflex. Start scrounging around the yard sales for used weight equipment :thumbup:

busterdouglas
10-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Yes I am outgrowing this machine. My wife wants to buy the 100lbs power bar extension upgrade for this machine increasing the total resistance to 310 lbs. But I am now looking at a bench w/ squat rack and free weights instead. My wife thinks I am going to injure myself without a spotter doing squats and overhead bench, as I really want to start SS. Anyone know of a good bench/squat rack that has some sort of safety system?

To date I have only dropped 2-3 lbs but there is already a noticable difference in fat loss. I am feeling stronger as well. Is it possible to maintain the same body weight while losing fat and building muscle?

I am thinking of something like this: Powerline Power Rack

With the wide "walk-in" design there is plenty of side-to-side movement for a variety of exercises such as squats, incline, decline, flat and military presses as well as shrugs and calf raises. Complete with 18 positions, two heat tempered lift-offs and two saber style safety rods so you can keep your exercise routine the way it should be simple and effective.
http://www.treadmillfactory.ca/product_images/1179941673-1.jpg

Off Road
10-09-2009, 08:49 AM
I have that same cage (basically). It is a good investment and will allow you to squat and bench safely.

busterdouglas
10-09-2009, 08:53 AM
It appears to only take up about x 44"L x 46"W so it will fit ok in my workout room. The only additional cost is the free weights and bar.

My wife can claim the expense through her work up to $1200 or so as a taxble income, so really it will only cost 60% out of pocket which is why the bowflex was purchased cause of the price we paid.

So this would only cost me about $275.00 taxes in.

The weights and bar will cost about the same at $1.00/ pound which seems to be average price I have found.

Off Road
10-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Just be prepared to break into the lifting s.l.o.w.l.y...there is a HUGE difference between a BowFlex and free weights.

busterdouglas
10-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Exactly, I will have to prety much start from scratch and I realize I cant bench/squat even close to the same weights as I am doing on the bowflex.

I wont be able to squat 3 days a week wither.

Do you think starting SS will be too much even with lower weights?

busterdouglas
10-14-2009, 09:40 AM
October 9, 2009

I didnt do the The tabata protocol in the morning.

I did 4 sets and 10 reps

Bench press 210 lbs
Chest Flys 160
Pull downs 210 lbs
Seated rows 210 lbs

Doing squats has become obsolete on the bowflex, so I have decided to start working my upper body strength for when I get the power rack. My legs are very strong, so I have no concerns with them not being strong enough to do the lifts when I switch to free weights.

busterdouglas
10-14-2009, 09:41 AM
October 12, 2009

I didnt have time to do post-workout on the elliptical trainer.

I did 4 sets and 10 reps

Bench press 210 lbs
Chest Flys 160
Pull downs 210 lbs
Seated rows 210 lbs

Coke
10-16-2009, 08:04 AM
Good luck with the training man, stay consistent and you can't go wrong.

busterdouglas
10-20-2009, 07:15 AM
October 19, 2009

Well on the weekend I got a power rack, 300lbs olympic weights with 7' olympic bar and a incline/decline bench.
I started the SS last night and was amazed at the difference between the bowflex and free weights.

I could have done alot more weight but I set my starting weights very low so I could work on form as I want to take it slowly. I have not squated or deadlifted before so that is why those numbers are lower than my bench press, but as I progress and add weight I am sure this will balance out.

I did 30 post-workout on the elliptical trainer

Squat- 85
Bench press- 105
deadlift- 95

I am a bit nervous about doing power cleans and overhead presses as I do not have anyone to spot me or coach me, so reading SS and watching videos is all I have to learn from.

Off Road
10-20-2009, 07:32 AM
Woohoo...welcome to the real world of lifting. Cograts.

Remember it's not about the ammount of weight you start with, but it's about the weights you build up to.

For overhead pressing, there are tons of videos out there to watch. If you are truely worried about dumping the bar, you can always do them seated in the rack with the pins set to catch the bar if you fail. But you should be able to press standing up outside the rack pretty easily. It's not that hard to hold the bar in the rack position while you set it back on the saddles.

Clifford Gillmore
10-20-2009, 07:43 AM
Well on the weekend I got a power rack, 300lbs olympic weights with 7' olympic bar and a incline/decline bench.
I started the SS last night and was amazed at the difference between the bowflex and free weights.

I could have done alot more weight but I set my starting weights very low so I could work on form as I want to take it slowly. I have not squated or deadlifted before so that is why those numbers are lower than my bench press, but as I progress and add weight I am sure this will balance out.

Squat- 85
Bench press- 105
deadlift- 95

I am a bit nervous about doing power cleans and overhead presses as I do not have anyone to spot me or coach me, so reading SS and watching videos is all I have to learn from.

I started in a similar situation to you aswell, I believe the numbers were quite similar as well! I had the Chuck Norris Total Gym, and slowly moved into a half rack and cheap bar/plates. Don't sweat not having anyone to coach you through the lifts, but I did hear that Mark Ripptoe has a SS DVD for quite cheap you could look into!

busterdouglas
10-23-2009, 08:46 AM
October 21, 2009

I did 30 post-workout on the elliptical trainer.

Squat- 90
Overhead press- 65 - starting weight
Powerclean- 85 - starting weight

Not sure my form was correct for the press and powerclean, but they didnt seem to be that difficult to do, so I decided to start off at a lower weight.

busterdouglas
10-26-2009, 08:11 AM
October 23, 2009

I did 30 post-workout on the elliptical trainer

Squat- 95
Bench press- 110
deadlift- 105
I dont have 1.25lbs so it is difficult to increase microloading wieghts, so I will continue adding 2x 2.5lbs.

Off Road
10-26-2009, 08:49 AM
15 lb. jump on deadlift?
No increase on squats?

busterdouglas
10-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Sorry I edited the post, I had the wrong numbers in.

Off Road
10-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Cool. Nice work.

busterdouglas
10-28-2009, 07:35 PM
October 26, 2009

I did 25 post-workout on the elliptical trainer.

Squat- 100
Overhead press- 70
Powerclean- 90

busterdouglas
10-28-2009, 07:37 PM
October 28, 2009

I decided to do 10 min. Tabata HIIT post-workout on the elliptical trainer as the 30 min, were to draining.

Squat- 105
Bench press- 115
deadlift- 115

Off Road
10-29-2009, 06:46 AM
You're making progress. How are the lifts feeling? Are you finding the groove?

busterdouglas
10-29-2009, 07:15 AM
I am so excited about this routine, it is short and sweet.

It takes me about 35 min. to do including the warm-up sets. I am not taking long rests between sets (1 min. max). the only problem I have experienced is with the bench press. I am getting a sharp pain in the flexor pollicis brevis = near center of palm. I am trying to keep the bar directly under my wrists vertical with my forearms. I am not using chalk, but unsure if this will help. for my last set, I moved my hands outward on the bar (The bar i have has two 'grooves' a bit more than shoulder distance apart, i placed my hands so my little finger is on the grooves) and this seemed to really help but I realize I am reducing ROM.

I am feeling much stronger and I am losing fat but I am still 197-200 lbs, so I am not sure if my diet is correct. I am eating very clean but I really dont know if I am eating above or below my maintenance level because my summer consisted of drinking a lot of beer on the weekends and garbage foods such as hamburgers, hotdogs, sausages etc.. which I have totally cut out of my life now.

Who would of thought the hardest part is the diet. I have read in the diet section that it is good to drink 1 gallon of milk a day, but fat gain is unavoidable and I want to lose fat.
I am concerned that I may be losing fat but also muscle that am developing.

The last thing I want to do is stall early because I am not getting stronger or I am not consuming enough calories.

Most people on WBB are very physically fit (7-15%) body fat and someone such as myself who is 25% doesn’t know if I should bulk or cut first.

Any advice?

Off Road
10-29-2009, 08:11 AM
I get that same pain in my palms some times. Mostly with overhead press.

I wish I could help you with diet, but I only have a very basic understanding of it myself.

busterdouglas
11-02-2009, 09:41 AM
October 30, 2009
I did not do a post-workout on the elliptical trainer. I knew I had alot of work to do this weekend and didnt want to drain myself.

Squat- 110
Overhead press- 75
Powerclean- 95

I am finding the overhead press starting to become a bit difficult to keep proper form on my last few reps. The weight isnt too much, just the explosivness lagging a bit. I am still only resting less than 1 min between sets, so I will need to take a bit longer rest or maybe not increase 5lbs each work-out for benchs and look at micro loading 2.5lbs so I dont substitue weight with bad form.

I also went and baught some calk on the weekend to see if that helps with my previous issue regarding pain in my palm when benching.

skinny99
11-02-2009, 10:22 AM
I get the same feeling as you on my OHP as I get tired I can't fire the weight by my face and have to "grind" the lift out,it is much harder to keep my form going slower. Coach Rip suggests takin a little more time to recover in between sets! 2-3 minutes is no big deal! Keep doing the work and keep progressing on the weight!

busterdouglas
11-05-2009, 09:21 AM
November 2, 2009

Squat- 115
Bench press- 120
deadlift- 125

Felt good with this workout. I didnt experience the pain I mentioned in my wrists and had no trouble completing my sets.

busterdouglas
11-05-2009, 09:24 AM
November 4, 2009

Squat- 120
Overhead press- 80
Powerclean- 100

I got the Mark Rippetoe DVD to work on my form. I noticed that I was doing a few things wrong with my overhead press and powerclean. Trying to get form perfected as the weights increase and become harder to do.

Off Road
11-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Good progress...be proud.

Barr91
11-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Awesome start. Just began the SS routine too. I use to get that pain on my palm as well and down my wrist but grew out of it after my body became a little stronger.

dave1234
11-08-2009, 06:45 AM
Hey checked out your journal. I can't believe the difference in numbers between the bowflex and real weights. I have never used the bowflex, but after reading this, I think I'm better off. I hope to progress as well as you.

One thing for you to consider, you may check out the Body for Life diet, it's what I use.

http://bodyforlife.com/nutrition/index.asp

Many people have had success with it.
Good luck,
Dave

busterdouglas
11-09-2009, 07:04 AM
November 6, 2009

Squat- 125
Bench press- 125
deadlift- 135

I finally got to use the 45lb plates for the deadlift, so this helped raise the bar off the floor. It is actually difficult to do the warmups even with an empty bar as I have to reach so far down that my form is not proper.

Off Road
11-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Stepping up to the BIG plates :thumbup:

busterdouglas
11-10-2009, 07:13 AM
November 9, 2009

Squat- 130
Overhead press- 85
Powerclean- 105

Even with the weight increasing I am finding the routine seems to be getting easier and I am feeling stronger. I can start to see some definition in my legs, shoulders, triceps and a bit in my biceps and forearms. I am losing fat from my stomach and chest, but I still have not moved on the scale. My weight is still 197-200.

How is this possible?

skinny99
11-10-2009, 08:12 AM
Keep going Buster I am on the same kinda program,and am making some gains that the scale doesn't really reflect also. The only way to lose more fat is to eat less! I have lost about 4 inches of waist size yet only about 10lbs on the scale. My legs,back and shoulders are bigger for sure though! As far as height for the bar on PC's and Deads I build a little pyramid of plates that gets the bar off the floor when warming up,really helps a lot!

busterdouglas
11-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Keep going Buster I am on the same kinda program,and am making some gains that the scale doesn't really reflect also. The only way to lose more fat is to eat less! I have lost about 4 inches of waist size yet only about 10lbs on the scale. My legs,back and shoulders are bigger for sure though! As far as height for the bar on PC's and Deads I build a little pyramid of plates that gets the bar off the floor when warming up,really helps a lot!

Thanks Skinny, great idea, I will use the pyramid idea.

busterdouglas
11-12-2009, 07:20 AM
November 11, 2009

Squat- 135
Bench press- 130
deadlift- 145

Still think I am rushing my sets on bench press. I am only taking about 1 minute between sets as I am eager to get under the bar and do another set. I have not stalled yet but once again the last 2 reps took a lot of effort.

BULK_BOY
11-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Buster - don't worry about the scale. Enjoy your progress and body improvements. Keep at it. Be persistent. Stick at it and watch your body improve.

Cheers.:)

busterdouglas
11-13-2009, 07:12 AM
Thanks Bulk boy. I will put away the scale so I dont get discouraged. I will go by the mirrior, the fat caliper, my measurements and my overall feeling of being stronger.

busterdouglas
11-16-2009, 11:27 AM
November 13, 2009

Squat- 140
Overhead press- 90
Powerclean- 110

Off Road
11-16-2009, 11:55 AM
nice.

busterdouglas
11-17-2009, 07:15 AM
November 16, 2009

Squat- 145
Bench press- 135
deadlift- 155

Off Road
11-17-2009, 07:38 AM
Give us your thoughts comparing the bowflex and real weights. Compare your results. I'd be interested in what you have to say about it.

busterdouglas
11-17-2009, 10:44 AM
To start, I had limited to no knowledge about weight training. My wife bought the bowflex for us to start “weight training”.
When we both started using the bowflex, we both thought it was a great machine.

The exercises such as the seated bench press did not use a bar, it was individual handles that forced you to push the weight. It appeared at the start that this was working secondary muscles as you had to stabilize the motion under resistance. I felt I was outgrowing the machine when I started benching all the resistance rods (210lbs) for 4-5 sets at 10 reps.
It became quite clear that this machine was not accurate at all when compared to free weights. I am currently doing SS and on my flat bench, doing 140lbs on my 3rd set is difficult to do the last 1-2 reps but I have yet to stall.

I also couldn’t effectively do squats with the bowlfex as I had to try and get under the bar while under resistance, as the machine does not come with stands.

The bowlfex is a marketing machine designed to induce the thought that doing something is better than nothing to the uneducated consumer. You will get some gains but you are limited to progression on it. You cannot microload and do any proper linear progression as the smallest resistance bars are 5lbs per side, so increasing weight every exercise would be 10lbs.

However my wife does still use the machine for leg extensions, rows, abs (I also use it for abs) but now that she has seen some results already in my glutes, quads, back and shoulders (after 1 month), that she has now altered her routine to include squats and deadlifts using the power rack and free weights.

Why someone is not doing an info commercial with a power rack and free weights blows my mind. I feel very safe without a spotter using the cage and only wish I got this set-up sooner than wasting so much time and $$$ on the bowflex.

The funny thing is that the cost for a good power rack cage and 300lbs and Olympic bar cost $650.00 and the bowflex cost $1300.00, so you are paying twice as much for less than ½ the results.

If anyone has had a positive experience with a bowflex, please share.

I will also post this in the Bodybuilding & Weight Lifting forum as I would like to get some addional feedback.

Off Road
11-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks for sharing. I'm glad the free weights are going better.

BULK_BOY
11-18-2009, 07:42 PM
BAM! "You too get a body like THIS! Using The Ultimate Rack 2000" spoken by new infomercial King - Buster Douglas

:)

Glad you found the way to The Bright Side. ;)

busterdouglas
11-19-2009, 07:26 AM
November 18, 2009

Squat- 150
Overhead press- 95
Powerclean- 115

Definitely getting up to hard working sets with SS now. Loving it!

busterdouglas
11-23-2009, 07:11 AM
November 20, 2009

Squat- 155
Bench press- 140
deadlift- 165

I stalled on my bench doing the last 2 reps. I had to go out, so I didnt eat before my workout and I may have rushed the sets once again only waiting a max of 2 min between sets.

I was so disappointed as progress has been great so far. If I stall again I will have to microload and find 2.5lbs increments because I really do not want to drop 20lbs and work up again as it feels like I just started this routine. This was workout #15.

Off Road
11-23-2009, 07:24 AM
Good consistant efforts.

Don't stress over the bench. I had the same problem last week. Make sure you eat right and rest enough next week and see if it improves.

If nothing else, you can be part of the Bench Press Haters club :)

busterdouglas
11-24-2009, 07:41 AM
November 23, 2009

Squat- 160
Overhead press- 100
Powerclean- 120

This workout felt great, The overhead press seemed easier than it did on Nov. 18th., so I assume I must be getting stronger.
Wondering when I should start adding pull ups and push ups.

My biceps are not growing with the rest of my upper body (triceps, shoulders, delts etc..) Maybe add curls 1 day a week using straight bar?

Should I just stick with what I am doing until it is time to switch it up?

Off Road
11-24-2009, 08:40 AM
I'd just "stay the course" and not do anything that will derail your progress. You are making great progress and adding things to your routine may have a stalling effect. Things like biceps can be brought up quickly at a later date when you have finished milking the routine.

busterdouglas
11-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks Off Road

busterdouglas
11-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Well I'm off to Jamaica next week (wed. Dec 2-9) and I am not sure if I should take the week off or try to continue my SS routine at the resort. They do have a gym and it appears they have a half rack and free weights. my only concern is not having a spotter or cage doing squats.

I am currently on workout 17 tonight and will be leaving on workout 20. I have only stalled on my bench once so far and tonight is bench night, so I will be very happy to see all reps go up.

Any advice if it is too soon to take a week off or if I should try to do any alternate excercises if it is not safe to do squats?

Off Road
11-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Jamaica...wow...have a great time.

busterdouglas
11-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Will I be ok taking a week off this early into my routine?

Off Road
11-25-2009, 02:05 PM
It isn't the end of the world. Go and have fun. We lift to enjoy life more fully, here's your chance.

busterdouglas
11-26-2009, 07:46 AM
November 25, 2009

Squat- 165
Bench press- 140
deadlift- 175

Got the bench press up although I really had to push the last rep up. wondering if I should try 145lb. on my next bench (Monday Nov. 30th) or find something to do increases of 2.5lb and microload

Off Road
11-26-2009, 09:16 AM
I say, "Go for it."
Chances are you'll only struggle with the last rep again. Things usually don't go from hard to impossible. They usually go from hard, to harder, to impossible. If you do fail at 145, you can always drop back down to 140 and start microloading.

busterdouglas
11-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks, I will give 145 a try on Monday.

busterdouglas
11-30-2009, 07:49 AM
November 27, 2009

Squat- 170
Overhead press- 105
Powerclean- 125

Starting to really feel the weight with squats, but not worried about stalling. OH press becoming challenging as well.

What is the max. rest time between sets? 4 or 5 minutes?

Tonight is bench night and I will attempt 145lbs. I am hoping they go up.

When I return from my vacation, should I deload or try to continue where I left off?

Thank-you for all the support everyone.

Off Road
11-30-2009, 08:07 AM
Good job being consistant and progressive.

The standard rest period for strenth training is between 3 and 5 minutes.

After returning from vacation, use the weight you used for the last workout. Don't lower it and don't raise it, keep it the same.

busterdouglas
11-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks Off Road. You are really the only one following my progress and it greatly appreciated as it ensures I post every workout in my journal.

Off Road
11-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Just consider me you internet training partner :)

busterdouglas
12-01-2009, 07:13 AM
November 30, 2009

Squat- 175
Bench press- 145
deadlift- 185

I Got the 145lb bench press up although on the last rep I got it up 1/2 way and I was going to fail, so I racked it. I assume this doesnt count as a rep, but I tell you, it feels like I put so much more into that last rep than I do for the reps in my first 1 and 2 sets that is has to count for something. I will try 145lb again when I return from Jamaica and if I cant do it, I will do increases of 2.5lb microloads.

I was thinking of making 1.25lb weights out of wood.

Off Road
12-01-2009, 07:26 AM
So close...the failed rep came at the perfect time though since you now have a week off to recover. Great effort.

busterdouglas
12-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Well Jamaica was amazing.... however I gained 3 pounds from eating/drinking so much, but I did get alot of exercise..lol.

So it is back to the strict diet and SS routine. I am wondering if it is a good idea to strat Friday and take 2 days off and back to my normal routine of Mon. Wed. Fri. or start on Monday as it wouldnt be beneficial to workout on Friday and take 2 days off as I really need to maintain the same schedule of Mon. Wed. Fri.

Any advice?

Off Road
12-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Start when you're ready. Vacations can be stressful, waiting 'til Monday isn't going to hurt anything.

busterdouglas
12-15-2009, 07:43 AM
December 14, 2009

Squat- 180
Overhead press- 110
Powerclean- 130

I have already lost the 3 lbs I gained from my binge eating and drinking in Jamaica. So I am weighting in at 200 lbs again.

I am not sure how I can lose it in 1 week and not be able to lose weight when I am eating a lot less and working out... Something doesnt seem right here...

I am feeling a very slight ache in my Biceps femoris (back of legs) from the squats. I maybe should have done some stretching after taking such a long break (almost 2 weeks), but it felt great to get back to the routine. The overhead press presented a bit of a challenge on the last rep of the last set, but I pushed it up, So I am thankful I didn’t stall on anything. The powercleans are really taking my breath away though and I find it to be the most exhausting exercise out of the entire routine (other than the bench Press which I have failed on in the past)

I do have one concern and that is to do with my traps that are becoming very noticeable. When I flex, my left trap bulges and is a lot bigger than the right side. Is this normal? Is there anything I should be doing to try and correct this?

Off Road
12-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Welcome back. I wouldn't worry about the traps. From what I've read, it's normal and will even out as you progress.

busterdouglas
12-21-2009, 10:56 AM
I am so disappointed in myself... Since coming back from Jamaica, I have only worked out once on Dec.14th. I have been busy with work holiday party on Dec. 18th which was my workout day and Dec. 16th was my wife’s holiday party and with Christmas coming up and going away for Christmas, such a hard time to commit to anything.

My New years resolution will definitely be not to miss any more workouts for at least 4 months straight, as I know I can do it and was on a pretty dedicated and strict schedule without missing 1 workout up to my vacation to Jamaica.

Off Road
12-21-2009, 12:02 PM
I am so disappointed in myself...
I'm going through the same thing right now. My diet has been too loose because of the holidays. How about you get back to the gym, and I get back to eating correctly, and we'll march into the new year with our heads held high :evillaugh:

busterdouglas
12-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Sounds like a plan, but it looks like my diet needs to be in order as well due to all these parties, alcohol etc..
So, no more excuses...

busterdouglas
01-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Well I'm back after a disappointing month off. I knew Jamaica was going to ruin my progress and track record of not missing any workouts and with Christmas holidays and all the food etc...

Well no more excuses... I decided to drop the weight a few pounds to make sure I could still progress without failing right away.

January 4, 2010

Squat- 165
Bench press- 140
deadlift- 175

Got the bench press up although I really had to push the last rep up. I have DOMS all over but hope it is only for this week.

Off Road
01-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Welcome back.

busterdouglas
01-07-2010, 08:51 AM
January 6, 2010

Squat- 170
Overhead press- 105
Powerclean- 125

I was still feeling sore from the squats on Monday but didn’t hold back.. Actually felt good after this workout and not too much soreness today so DOMS are going away. My back is feeling so much stronger. I read an article about middle aged people squatting 3 times a week and wondering is 36 is getting close to middle aged...lol.

Guess if I can make it through a few months of squatting 3X a week like I did back in Oct and Nov. then I should not be concerned about squatting too much.

Off Road
01-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Nice...almost up to where you were.

busterdouglas
01-12-2010, 08:50 AM
January 8, 2010

Squat- 175
Bench press- 145
deadlift- 180

I was in a rush and had to squeeze this workout in as I was going out (Friday night) which I dont get out that often being married with young kids. IHMO I did NOT rest long enough between sets and well, I failed on the bench press again. I know I try to have good form ( arched back, shoulders tucked in, feet flat on floor, hands shoulder width apart, eyes on outside of bar etc.) but I dont know if I have the rack pins set to high/low. I will try to video tape if I can.

I dropped the weight back down to 140 and finished the sets.

DOMS are gone now and legs feel great!

busterdouglas
01-12-2010, 08:55 AM
January 11, 2010

I didnt do any pre-work-out on the elliptical trainer.

Squat- 180
Overhead press- 110
Powerclean- 130

Getting excited that I am almost squating and deadlifting 200!
Overhead press got really hard this workout and I almost failed. I found myself pushing with my back to get it up over my head and I assume this is not good at all, but the weight is starting to add up.

Not sure if this is because I took a month off or if I am reaching my max and need to deload.

Any advice is greatly welcomed.

busterdouglas
01-19-2010, 10:48 AM
January 13, 2010

Squat- 185
Bench press- 145
deadlift- 190

Got up my bench press, I was very excited.

busterdouglas
01-19-2010, 10:52 AM
January 18, 2010

I didnt do any pre-work-out on the elliptical trainer.

Squat- 190
Overhead press- 115
Powerclean- 135

Well I had a very bad week with (2) deaths in the family, so I missed Fridays workout as I was away with family.
I did Fridays workout yesterday (Monday). Well, stress caught up to me. I failed on my OH press on set (2) rep 5 and set (3) reps 4,5.

I will continue with my workout tomorrow night but it is bench press night, my nemesis.

Off Road
01-19-2010, 01:02 PM
I wondered what happened to you? Sounds like a rough week. Hopefully things will get better for you.

busterdouglas
01-20-2010, 03:41 PM
January 20, 2010

Squat- 195
Bench press- 150
deadlift- 205

Got up my bench press without any hesitation, very strange and I was very excited. Hit over 200 lbs on deadlift and will hit over 200lbs on squats Friday, so very excited about that as well.

Things seem to feel heavy but rewarding after completing all my sets.

Couldnt and wouldnt be doing any of this if I didnt stumble upon WBB and got all the advice to ditch the bowflex and get free weights and start SS, so thank-you everyone, even you Zenmonkey for your straight forwardness.

busterdouglas
01-27-2010, 12:01 PM
January 25, 2010

Well January is not looking to be a good month for me at all. One personal issue after another with family, so I missed yet another workout on Friday. I am wondering if I should try to make up the missed routines( which seem to be Fridays) on the weekend or just continue where I left off and do that Fridays routine on the Monday.

Squat- 200
Overhead press- 115
Powerclean- 140

I had no problems with this workout, I didnt stall on anything. I was also very excited to squat over 200 :clap:.
I have experienced one problem when doing OHP's and that was that the cage was not big enough for me to fully stretch my arms at the top of the lift, so I have had to use my bench and sit, so I can safely do the excercise inside the cage. Does anyone see a problem with doing that?

busterdouglas
01-28-2010, 03:43 PM
January 27, 2010

I did 50 jumping jacks and some quick stretching to warm up.

Squat- 205
Bench press- 155
deadlift- 215

This was a great workout. I didnt stall on bench and i am learning how to really focus and tighten my core when lifting as I mentioned before, pushing with my feet on the floor during bench really helps.

busterdouglas
02-01-2010, 06:59 AM
January 29, 2010

Squat- 210
Seated Overhead press- 120
Powerclean- 145

well.. once again the overhead press got difficult. I did complete all sets and reps but did need to take 2-3 min. rest between sets.

I have not lost any weight, but have not gained it either. I am getting stronger and muscles are developing. weighting at 205 and 25% B.F. I want to start a cut and lose this fat for summer. I just dont know when to start it and how to do it other than reducing calories by 500 to start and maintaining high protien, low fat/carb diet.

Anyone with advice, please share. I will search and re-read daniels sticky on bulk vs cut, but I dont mind any advice that has worked for others.

Off Road
02-01-2010, 07:12 AM
Figure out when you want to start your "cut". Until then, keep getting stronger, you'll need it. When "cut" time rolls around, decrease you caloric intake (mostly in the form of carbs), increase your conditioning workouts slightly, and try to keep the weights in your lifting workout the same throughout. Really try to hold onto that strength, that is what will preserve the muscle as you loose fat. For a good "cutting" diet, consult the Nutrition forum.

busterdouglas
02-02-2010, 09:30 AM
increase your conditioning workouts slightly, and try to keep the weights in your lifting workout the same throughout.

Not sure how I do this Off Road. I am following the SS routine strictly. I understood conditioning work as higher reps, lower weight or do I just add alot of cardio on my days off? Please correct me if I am wrong or recommend a good conditioning workout.

February 1, 2010

I did 2 Min low intensity pre-work-out on the elliptical trainer. I think I was burning too much energy before doing 5 min. 2 min. gets my heart rate up to 125+ b.p.m.

Squat- 215
Bench press- 160
deadlift- 225

The failed on my last rep of my last set on bench. I got it 1/2 way up but my foot slipped and I lost concentration. I will continue to progress and try 165 next workout. I feel a deload coming soon as I have not deloaded yet I am failing on my bench and OHP once and awhile.

Off Road
02-02-2010, 12:24 PM
When it's time to cut, stay with your routine but slow down the progression. If you stall, then try your hardest to freeze the weight right there. It's important to maintain strength while cutting in order to maintain muscle. Add in a couple of days of conditioning, like sled pulling, HIT conditioning, complexes. or some kind of GPP or strongman type stuff. Stay away from the one hour boring marathon cardio sessions. Remember to only drop your calories enough to see slight changes, don't try to drop the weight all at once.

So your routine would be:

Mon - weights
Tues - conditioning
Wed - weights
Thur - conditioning
Fri - weights
Sat and Sun - rest

At least that's the way I would do it :)

busterdouglas
02-03-2010, 08:38 AM
How much GPP should I be doing on Tues. and Thurs.? it is easiest for me to hit the elliptical trainer to do HIT such as a tabatha protocal (20 seconds full out run, 10 second walking,) for 5-10 min.? Or do I need to get atleast 30 min. in? or do I go by amount of calories burned?

Thank-you for all your help.

Off Road
02-03-2010, 08:52 AM
I like the eliptical for HIT conditioning. I do it a little different. I do 30 sec jog pace, 30 sec sprint pace, and alternate them for 3 minutes. Then I take 1 minute rest, that's one round. I'm up to 4 rounds now and I will just increase the rounds as I am able. I wouldn't go over 30 minutes total work time though.

There are other good things you can do too. Read some of the articles on "complexes" and go to the GPP section and read some of the threads there. A good one is titled "Fat Guy GPP," It will give you more ideas of ways to increase your metabolism. Supposedly, raising your metabolism is more important than the calories burned during exercise. But you can read about that in the articles since I'm far from an expert on the subject.

busterdouglas
03-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Wow has it really been a month since I last posted on here?

I have decided to freeze my lifts to the following:

Squats 235
Bench 160
Deadlifts 235

I could probably still increase the weights slowly, but I fear risk of injury while I am cutting, which I started on Mar. 1st.

My diet is almost all protien:

2 or 3 eggs for breakfast 8:00am
1 protien shake for morning snack 10:00am
1/2 can tuna no mayo for lunch 12:00pm
1/2 can tuna for afternoon snack no mayo 2:00pm
1 cup of cottage cheese with some grapes for late afternoon snack 4:00pm

Have whatever is for dinner usually rice and pork/chicken/beef

busterdouglas
03-09-2010, 10:52 AM
March 8, 2010

I did 5 Min Tabata Protocol pre-work-out on the elliptical trainer. My heart rate was up to 145+ b.p.m.

Squat- 235
Bench press- 160
deadlift- 235

Still wondering if I should try and continue increasing weight slowly while I cut or freeze at these weights.