PDA

View Full Version : Squat Critique Vid

Brian C
09-15-2009, 08:29 AM
A generic Vid since Im having comp troubles. Please dont kill me on depth. I was using steppers to gauge it and guess it was a little higher than I thought. The first is 515 and the second is 530 for a 5lb PR. Overall, Ive been working hard on form. Be gentle ;)
*Sorry for the delay between lifts. Couldnt edit*

_DcucDc8Rrk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DcucDc8Rrk

drew
09-15-2009, 11:35 AM
First off, you're using a ton of energy walking that squat out. I counted 6 steps on the 530. You should not need to take more than 3 steps out of the rack, 2 would be better.

Get a tighter arch. Fill your belly with air and push it out against your belt.

Push your hips back to start. Don't start by bending your knees.

Read up on box squatting (check elitefts)and try it for a while.

barbell01
09-15-2009, 11:59 AM
i wont "kill you on depth" but those were really high, with that being said, i would try to sit back more and lead with your hips, stay on your heels, try to keep your elbows forward and chest up. the second one seemed like you just started falling forward. keep up the hard work.:ninja:

Lones Green
09-15-2009, 01:48 PM
First off, you're using a ton of energy walking that squat out. I counted 6 steps on the 530. You should not need to take more than 3 steps out of the rack, 2 would be better.

Get a tighter arch. Fill your belly with air and push it out against your belt.

Push your hips back to start. Don't start by bending your knees.

Read up on box squatting (check elitefts)and try it for a while.

This is all great info. I was going to say something about the walkout before I even read this.

brihead301
09-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Personally, I'd definately lower the weight and work on hitting depth. As for form critiques, well the above comments pretty much cover it all, especially the walk-out and leading with the hips rather then the knees.

Brian C
09-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks guys. Its funny, I try to concentrate on breaking at the hips first. Ill have to try harder. And thats about all the air I have pushing on the belt. Im as full as im gonna get there. Its a bad vid as far as depth I know. Im definately at parallel usually. I tried to use those reebok steppers to help gauge depth and guess it was misleading. I knew I was a little high when doing them, but now I see the vid and was a little suprised how high they were. Next vid will be deeper for sure ;)

SELK
09-15-2009, 04:02 PM
I squat with a pretty similar form to you. I would suggest just getting some work on a box 2-3 inches below parallel. Once you get used to that box you won't have any depth problems.

Most people say break with the hips, not knees, I could never get that to work for me though.

Brian C
09-15-2009, 04:16 PM
I squat with a pretty similar form to you. I would suggest just getting some work on a box 2-3 inches below parallel. Once you get used to that box you won't have any depth problems.

Most people say break with the hips, not knees, I could never get that to work for me though.

Thanks Selk Ill definately give it a try

Hazerboy
09-15-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm pretty much just another set of eyes as i'm not a geared lifter, but honestly there's not much to critique here. For what its worth, I'd say you're on the right track. Sit back more. Work on depth. thats it.

Keep chuggin along bro! I hope to see some huge PRs in the near future.

theBarzeen
09-15-2009, 05:11 PM
:indian:form looked solid enough...... if you have a buddy you trust you could always have them call your depth too....... a lot of the form stuff like sitting back and using a box work well enough with gear but might be a little rough raw....... the only thing you can't see from this angle is what your knees are doing.... that can tell a lot more about what our body is doing than a lower side view........ stuff like knees coming way forward or bowing in are way more of a problem than anything in this video........

joey54
09-15-2009, 05:25 PM
As already mentioned a lot of wasted effort on the walkouts and depth was high. Positive is you are moving some heavy weight there and with some improvements to your form as suggested by the others above, you will smash this weight in no time.

Brian C
09-15-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm pretty much just another set of eyes as i'm not a geared lifter, but honestly there's not much to critique here. For what its worth, I'd say you're on the right track. Sit back more. Work on depth. thats it.

Keep chuggin along bro! I hope to see some huge PRs in the near future.
Thanks Hazer.

:indian:form looked solid enough...... if you have a buddy you trust you could always have them call your depth too....... a lot of the form stuff like sitting back and using a box work well enough with gear but might be a little rough raw....... the only thing you can't see from this angle is what your knees are doing.... that can tell a lot more about what our body is doing than a lower side view........ stuff like knees coming way forward or bowing in are way more of a problem than anything in this video........
Yeah the angle sucks. Someone was working next to me and behind me so I couldnt get a further shot. Next time ill make sure to get a better angle.

As already mentioned a lot of wasted effort on the walkouts and depth was high. Positive is you are moving some heavy weight there and with some improvements to your form as suggested by the others above, you will smash this weight in no time.

Thanks joey for the vote of confidence

vdizenzo
09-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Lower the weight. Push your ass back to start your squat. When you take the weight out of the rack, arch it out, don't squat it out. You could also try wearing your belt a little higher. That's a preference thing. I wear my belt pretty high to squat. It's over my bellybutton. I find I don't have to pull it as tightly, but I can push a lot harder against it.