PDA

View Full Version : Highland Games' Weight For Distance

JSully
09-15-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm going to enter a strongman/highland games combo on October 17th. There's 4 events:

12" Log press for Max
Open Stone (shotput w/22lb rock)
Tire Flip w/600lb tire (75' for time)
Weight For Distance (sort of like shotput, but with 56lbs.. see picture)

Any ideas on how to make something like this? it needs to be 56lbs.. I was thinking of getting one of those old school round dumbbells, hacking off the handle and welding a chain to it with a handle on the end.. but that might get expensive. Do you think a kettlebell would be comparable to train with?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6e/Celtic_1_bg_081802.jpg

Tom Mutaffis
09-15-2009, 11:35 AM
NAHA event?

Your best bet to easily make one without any kind of welding or anything would be to get a short loading pin and throw (5) 10's on it then attach a short chain at the top (with one of those links with the screw in it) and a regular handle from a gym equipment supply store (make sure it is not revolving). Use a collar on top of the weights to lock them in place.

This should replicate the event pretty well, and you can probably make it relatively inexpensively.

There may also be some throwers nearby and you could simply drive out and train with them a couple of times. It should not take too much training to get a hang of the movement.

JSully
09-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Yeah its a NAHA event..

Great ideas Tom, I'll hit a play-it-again sports this weekend to see what I can brew up..

Also, it says 12" log press for max. Is 12" the distance between your hands or the diameter of the log or what?

Thanks for the help..

Travis Bell
09-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Look for a hammer throw hammer

That's pretty much what weight for distance is, just heavier and a shorter chain

Tom Mutaffis
09-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Yeah its a NAHA event..

Great ideas Tom, I'll hit a play-it-again sports this weekend to see what I can brew up..

Also, it says 12" log press for max. Is 12" the distance between your hands or the diameter of the log or what?

Thanks for the help..

Worst case if you have the plates you can get a short length of 1.75" pipe which has an outer diameter of close to 2" (I believe, might want to measure just to be safe) and then put a chain through it and a bolt on the bottom, then attach the handle to the chain. It would be kind of Macgyver rigged but would probably work for what you need.

The 12" log press is a 12" diameter. I have attached a couple of pictures to show you what it looks like. The best way to train for this is to do dumbell clean and press with two dumbells simultaneously. You clean them into your lap in a neutral positon then pop them up to your shoulders (still in a neutral position) and push press them.

JSully
09-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Worst case if you have the plates you can get a short length of 1.75" pipe which has an outer diameter of close to 2" (I believe, might want to measure just to be safe) and then put a chain through it and a bolt on the bottom, then attach the handle to the chain. It would be kind of Macgyver rigged but would probably work for what you need.

That's pretty genious. I've already got 2 25lb plates. All I would need is a 6" nipple, a thick 2-3" bolt/nut (maybe 2, would have to play with the diameter of the pipe), 1 foot 3/8" chain and the handle.. shouldn't run more than $20..

I wish I was a better DIYer to come up with this stuff.. Thanks!

As for the log press, that's what I was thinking. I'm going to do that db training as an accessory to my 5/3/1 military presses starting tonight. It's a max effort lift from what the event says, so I'll likely have to rep out the heaviest dumbbells we've got (120s) via push press to really help out.

Thanks for the tips bro!

theBarzeen
09-15-2009, 06:20 PM
good call making the apparatus yourself... the gym that my team trains at has a bunch of strongman and highland games competitors as well so I go play with them on Sundays for conditioning...... we do both kettlebell and weight throws and they feel pretty different........ have fun with that tire..... after flipping the 650 for a half hour I could barely make a fist for a solid day afterwards......

LuNa
09-15-2009, 09:35 PM

The 12" log press is a 12" diameter. I have attached a couple of pictures to show you what it looks like. The best way to train for this is to do dumbell clean and press with two dumbells simultaneously. You clean them into your lap in a neutral positon then pop them up to your shoulders (still in a neutral position) and push press them.

What is the weight of that log? We have one at my gym and i tried picking it up a couple of months ago and i couldnt :p.

OP: the event looks like a lot fun. I am pretty sure you will do great.

shawno
09-15-2009, 11:19 PM
I took a 53lb KB & looped a Cable Crossover type handle onto it. Worked pretty well. Whatever you do, keep in mind the length between the top of the KB & bottom of the handle - I used a couple of small mountain climping loops.
Good luck in the comp.

Tom Mutaffis
09-16-2009, 10:53 AM
That's pretty genious. I've already got 2 25lb plates. All I would need is a 6" nipple, a thick 2-3" bolt/nut (maybe 2, would have to play with the diameter of the pipe), 1 foot 3/8" chain and the handle.. shouldn't run more than $20..

I wish I was a better DIYer to come up with this stuff.. Thanks!

As for the log press, that's what I was thinking. I'm going to do that db training as an accessory to my 5/3/1 military presses starting tonight. It's a max effort lift from what the event says, so I'll likely have to rep out the heaviest dumbbells we've got (120s) via push press to really help out.

Thanks for the tips bro!

If you can perform that exercise with the 120's then you should do quite well with the log press. I haven't done them in a while but when I had about a 280 lbs max log I would do the dumbell log simulation with 95's for a few reps (haven't done these in over a year). As with most dumbell movements you can take the combined dumbell weight and add 35-50 lbs once you are using a fixed object like a barbell or log. Using 120's I would say should put you in the low 300's for a max log.

Some other good accessory movements for the log press are front squats, hang cleans, close grip bench, and push presses. A successful log press has a lot to do with having a powerful clean and be able to utilize leg drive, then from there you just need the triceps to power through the rest of the movement.

Let me know if you are interested and I can post up some videos demonstrating the log press. It will be a bit awkward the first couple of times.

Tom Mutaffis
09-16-2009, 10:56 AM
What is the weight of that log? We have one at my gym and i tried picking it up a couple of months ago and i couldnt :p.

OP: the event looks like a lot fun. I am pretty sure you will do great.

Empty logs can weigh anywhere from 85 lbs (rolled steel) up to 200+ lbs (12" pipe). If you were trying to pick up one of the solid pipe logs they can be deceptively heavy.

JSully
09-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks Tom.

I did a max push press last night and hit a pretty easy 275. I was weearing my belt (which I never do for overhead presses) and it cramped up my abs like nothing else. I believe I've got 300+ in me with a little practice. That was the first time doing push presses in 3-4 years, lol, normally I just do regular millies.

I also tried the clean & press with dumbbels in neutral grip. The initial clean is a bit of pain in the ass but I did pretty well. I worked up to 100s for my last set of 8. Next week I'll try to push the bar a bit more. Makes sense to practice cleans. I think I'll do this on my deadlift day after my deficit deads.

I've also got to work on my conditioning with the tire. I've got an 830lb tire and I flipped it for 4 sets of 5 reps and holy **** every time I got to the 4th & 5th rep it was so hard. Do you have any vids for the tires so I can check my form with on the tire? I tried kicking my knee up to give it more boost before getting under it and pushing it over.. but that only worked until the 4th rep when I was devastated.. then I had to rest it on my leg and get under it. I think the biggest thing is my leg drive. I've got to remember to keep low and use my legs to really pop it up. Once I was getting tired I wasn't dipping down near as much.

Tom Mutaffis
09-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Log is a bit different from barbell push press, but it does sound like you have some good overhead strength.

There is quite a bit of technique involved on the tire. I do have some videos that I will post up from my home computer (can't access Youtube at work). The basic explanation is that you want to drive your body forward into the tire instead of trying to lift it.

Tire Flip:
You want to set your body up in a crouched squatting position with your chest against the tire and arms wide, feet about three feet away from the tire. You drive your body forward and then as you lift it transition with your knee and then from that point hopefully can use your arms and forward momemtum of your body to finish off the lift.

Tips:
- Having a good grip is very important; do not wear under armor or slippery clothing. You can chalk the front delts and you should have marks on your shirt when you flip the tire if you are doing it properly.
- Hand grip is also important. Chalk works well but even better than chalk is a pine tar rack or gorilla grip rag. You can pick one up at any sporting goods store and it will drastically improve your tire flip.
- Do not wait for the tire to fall as you are flipping it, attack the tire and reset quickly - this will save you a lot of time.
- Never flip a tire when your biceps are sore, after deadlifting, or when it is wet outside. Biceps injuries are very common on tire flipping.
- Excessive volume is not necessary for tire. Train for speed or for moderate distances (50 feet).

I have attached a couple of photos and will get the videos posted later.

Tom Mutaffis
09-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Here are some example videos...

The first one is using a technique where I "post" the tire and then use a second movement to complete the flip.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_qtjMGR_zyw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_qtjMGR_zyw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here is another video where you will see me utilizing the knee to push the tire over in one motion (tire is the 2nd event):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L6XpPA5LhNw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L6XpPA5LhNw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

In this video you will see me flipping the tire "one-motion" without using the knee:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sPaLgYMALb4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sPaLgYMALb4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

There are a couple of other events thrown in as well... sorry about that.

Hopefully this helps to demonstrate the form and technique that I described above. I thought that I had posted a tire-only video but couldn't locate it.

JSully
09-17-2009, 10:28 AM
You've go some killer endurance. Thanks for the tips. I was planning on training SM events after my DL session this saturday. Looks like that's going to get pushed back to sunday though. Thanks again!

Do you have calf issue? Is that what the black&white calf sleeves are for?

Tom Mutaffis
09-18-2009, 07:46 AM
You've go some killer endurance. Thanks for the tips. I was planning on training SM events after my DL session this saturday. Looks like that's going to get pushed back to sunday though. Thanks again!

Do you have calf issue? Is that what the black&white calf sleeves are for?

Thank you. Training strongman after deadlifts sounds tough! It will be good though because if you can perform the events well when you are tired then they will be even better when you are fresh.

The knee sleeves that I had on my calves were more for protection than anything else. I have strained my calves on tire flip and yoke walk in the past, so I keep the sleeves on for warmth and protection. They do seem to help a bit and give more confidence if nothing else. Some of my training partners say that they are my Dr. Suess sleeves... :)

JSully
09-18-2009, 06:04 PM
LOL @ Dr Seuss sleeves..

I was wondering if you had previously injured or not.. that's good you stay protected. I wear knee sleeves to help keep my knees warmed up, otherwise they get incredibly stiff and painful.

JSully
09-22-2009, 10:07 AM
So.. I made my apparatus and it came out well. Even had my first training session with it last night. The total weight of the apparatus came out to about 52lbs, so it's about 5lbs shy. I'll go down to the local play it again sports and grab a nickel later this week to add to it. My best throw was just shy of 30 feet. Not bad for my first time throwing but I've got some practice to do.

Hey Tom, do you happen to know what some good WFD #'s are for HWs?

Here is the apparatus I built:

http://www.beyondlowcarb.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=17202.0;id=7152
http://www.beyondlowcarb.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=17202.0;id=7153

and here is the vid of my first throws. I threw about 15 times or so last night and have 2 nice blisters to show for it. I'm going to need to get some gardening gloves or something. I definately need to work on form. It improved drastically from my very first throw but I feel I'm not getting the most out of the throw. I definately need to push off with my feet more just before that last 1/4 turn. It's hard trying to remember everything that needs done, lol.. just pratice I suppose.

HQp0us2f3ao

bass slayer
09-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Dang Tom, you are a beast!!!! How long did it take for you to get where you are?

Tom Mutaffis
09-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Bass - Thank you. That is a simple but pretty tough question... here is an idea of my progression:

13 yrs old -> Started weight training, 5'8 150 lbs with OK body comp. Could easily squat 275 lbs and benched 190 lbs the first time that I tried maxing out.
13-15 -> Gained 25 lbs and improved body comp, strength levels drastically increased and hit first 300 lbs bench. Also posted good squat numbers.
15-17 -> Gained an additional 20+ lbs and started to hit some very good strength numbers. 385x3 bench, 565 deadlift, 405 squat for reps, 315 power clean, 150 lbs dumbells for reps on incline, etc.
18-19 -> Continued bulking, peaked at 220 lbs and then started dieting for bodybuilding. Got down to 195 lbs in mid single digit bodyfat (striated and vascular). Maintained strength levels. Stopped training.
19-21 -> Didn't train, focused on making a living and establishing myself in the professional world. Lost 20 lbs and body composition was not as good. Stayed around 175-180 lbs bodyweight.
21 -> Started training again, 6 months in did my first strongman contest at 193 lbs bodyweight. Most of my strength had come back.
22-23 -> Stayed between 210-215 lbs, won numerous strongman contests including a national championship and broke all of my previous PR's and then some.
23-Now-> Still competing in strongman and walk around anywhere from 215-230 lbs, have broken numerous all time PR's and am one of the top ranked strongmen in the country.

Most of this time that I was training I did not have any goals, just liked working out and pushing myself (wasnt working specifically for hypertrophy, strength, or any sport).

So.. I made my apparatus and it came out well. Even had my first training session with it last night. The total weight of the apparatus came out to about 52lbs, so it's about 5lbs shy. I'll go down to the local play it again sports and grab a nickel later this week to add to it. My best throw was just shy of 30 feet. Not bad for my first time throwing but I've got some practice to do.

Hey Tom, do you happen to know what some good WFD #'s are for HWs?

and here is the vid of my first throws. I threw about 15 times or so last night and have 2 nice blisters to show for it. I'm going to need to get some gardening gloves or something. I definately need to work on form. It improved drastically from my very first throw but I feel I'm not getting the most out of the throw. I definately need to push off with my feet more just before that last 1/4 turn. It's hard trying to remember everything that needs done, lol.. just pratice I suppose.

Jake - I can't watch the videos at work but will check it out when I get home. Glad to hear that the implement came together for you without too much trouble.

Just tried looking on the NAHA site and could not find any specific results so I am not sure what a good throw would be. As long as you keep improving each time that you practice that is all that really matters.

You may want to get some stickum spray or a gorilla grip rag / pine tar for your glove to give it a better grip. This way you have the protection of a glove but don't lose distance on your throws.

Guido
09-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Tom - clearly you are genetically gifted. I reak of jealousy (coming from a person of below average to average strength genetics).

Tom Mutaffis
09-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Here are some examples that I found online of throwing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSIHxqnp-jQ

And this is one of Craig Smith hitting a big 56 for distance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63p_qmszEm0

I would say that you just need to work on swinging the weight as far from your body as possible (using your arm as a lever) and building speed on your spins then translating that to the implement.

Good throws for your first time out! A couple of practice sessions and you should be doing very well.