PDA

View Full Version : T Bar rows, who else loves these?

NickAus
09-15-2009, 05:42 PM
I saw Chris M doing these with 9 plates a few weeks back, I had never done them and it looked like a really good heavy basic back builder.
I am now up to 6 plates (not much yet) and I feel more solid when benching and squating.

How many other people love this exersice?

What weights do you guys use?

Thank you everyone!

Irish Pilot
09-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Me! (slowly backs out of the Powerlifting forum)

CosmicForce
09-15-2009, 06:06 PM
I like T-Bar rows. I tried them for a few weeks because I got bored doing BB/DB Rows. I don't recall the amt. of weight I used.

I did them with my BB without a handle because I don't have a handle. I felt them hit the outer part of my lats.

Brian Hopper
09-15-2009, 06:20 PM
I use to do them all the time before I got back into powerlifting. It is my favorite back exercise next to deadlifts and pull-ups.

SEOINAGE
09-15-2009, 07:04 PM
I like the old school long bar standing T-bar rows. Still my favorite just haven't done them in years.

CosmicForce
09-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Not to get off topic but it sounds like Irish and Tank are saying T-bar rows are not useful for strength training, no?

Clifford Gillmore
09-15-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm not a huge fan. I think I've done 7 plates, possibly 8. Its not that its a great exercise, its just too easy to cheat with for me - so I get carried away. Straight BB rows to the belly/upper ab are becoming my favourite!

vdizenzo
09-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Regular barbell rows put too much strain on my lower back. T-bar rows are the staple exercise of my heavy back training. I find if I complete the motion strictly I don't have to load on too many plate. Guys, don't get caught up with doing your assistance crazy heavy. Kill your ME stuff and just work everything else hard.

Clifford Gillmore
09-15-2009, 07:24 PM
I figured you'd be more of a fan of the Dizenzo rows.

NickAus
09-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Regular barbell rows put too much strain on my lower back. T-bar rows are the staple exercise of my heavy back training. I find if I complete the motion strictly I don't have to load on too many plate. Guys, don't get caught up with doing your assistance crazy heavy. Kill your ME stuff and just work everything else hard.

Same with me for the lower back.

How many reps do you shoot for?

Brian Hopper
09-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Not to get off topic but it sounds like Irish and Tank are saying T-bar rows are not useful for strength training, no?

Thats not what im saying at all, I just got away from doing them thats all. When I was reading the OP, before I posted, I decided that after my meet im gonna add them to my assistance work.

allan3
09-16-2009, 04:42 PM
i like tbar rows. i also prefer the standing version of them as well.

MarcusWild
09-16-2009, 05:59 PM
We use them in our rotation of lat exercises.

CosmicForce
09-16-2009, 11:19 PM
Thats not what im saying at all, I just got away from doing them thats all. When I was reading the OP, before I posted, I decided that after my meet im gonna add them to my assistance work.I misinterpreted your first post. My bad.

sandcracker21
09-18-2009, 04:01 AM
i also do t bars, but no back lift is as satisfying as deadlifts

CosmicForce
09-18-2009, 04:14 PM
i also do t bars, but no back lift is as satisfying as deadliftsOff topic: There is something primal and masculine about pulling (DL) or watching a world class PLifter DL massive weight. Watching Andy Bolton pull 1008lbs was magnificent.

BigCorey75
09-18-2009, 04:17 PM
I like T-bar rows, i feel good pulling in my lower lats and mid back, helps build strength and stability for my bench and thickness around my spine and thoracic extensors to help with my deadlifting as well

vdizenzo
09-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Same with me for the lower back.

How many reps do you shoot for?

6-10 reps for 3-5 sets.

NickAus
09-19-2009, 06:42 AM
6-10 reps for 3-5 sets.

Thanks Vinnie.

mastermonster
09-20-2009, 09:13 PM

Pretty much this for me too. Wouldn't say T-bar rows are 'the' staple of my back work, but I've mixed them in and out of my routines for years and really like them. Completely agree with assistance stuff. I try to keep the weights where I can get 10 good reps in for the most part.

GorillaPit
09-21-2009, 10:57 AM
I love rowing in general. I have been using a chest supported row to take the strain off my lower back and I have noticed a huge increase in thickness

poopoo333
09-21-2009, 11:10 AM
I like them way better then Bent Over Rows.

tnathletics2b
09-21-2009, 12:07 PM
I assume you guys use the T-Bar setup that most gyms have? If we don't have a setup at my gym, would I be getting the same workout by laying a bar on the floor, straddling it like I am riding a broom-horse up close to one end with 45's on it and doing the same movement?

Like the guy in this link:Here (http://media.photobucket.com/image/T%20Bar%20rows/BodyForum/Back%20Exercises/middle-back-exercises-t-bar-rows.gif)

Sounds like an awesome movement so I am seeing if this would have the same effect!

Thanks!

CosmicForce
09-21-2009, 03:48 PM
I assume you guys use the T-Bar setup that most gyms have? If we don't have a setup at my gym, would I be getting the same workout by laying a bar on the floor, straddling it like I am riding a broom-horse up close to one end with 45's on it and doing the same movement?

Like the guy in this link:Here (http://media.photobucket.com/image/T%20Bar%20rows/BodyForum/Back%20Exercises/middle-back-exercises-t-bar-rows.gif)
Sounds like an awesome movement so I am seeing if this would have the same effect!

Thanks!I'd say yes. A bodybuilder turned strongman I know on another forum does them the way the guy in the image you posted does.

I rest the other end against the corner where the floor and wall connect and I put a DB over that end so it doesn't raise off of the floor.

BigBatz
09-21-2009, 03:53 PM
I love them so much I fabricated my own handle. I can can get a little carried away with them too. So I use them in rotation with other forms of rows.

tnathletics2b
09-22-2009, 04:51 AM
I'd say yes. A bodybuilder turned strongman I know on another forum does them the way the guy in the image you posted does.

I rest the other end against the corner where the floor and wall connect and I put a DB over that end so it doesn't raise off of the floor.

Sounds good, thanks!