PDA

View Full Version : Conjugate links? Workouts??

blownby
09-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Any links to some good conjugate workouts?

Lones Green
09-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Westside barbell uses the conjugate method

http://www.westside-barbell.com/

http://westside-barbell.com/westside-articles/PDF.Files/04PDF/The%20Conjugate%20Method.pdf

http://westside-barbell.com/westside-articles/PDF.Files/04PDF/More%20On%20The%20Conjugate%20Method.pdf

KarlMarx
09-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Westside Barbell for Skinny Bastards version 3. Search online, you'll find the pdf. Travis also has links to them in the GPP forum. Good luck!

blownby
09-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks, I have read numerous articles, but more looking for stuff that lays out a 9-12 week program.

There was one i used before and am unable to find it. It laid out a 12 week program that had 3 different phases. Listed lifts & percentages....etc.

Travis Bell
09-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Percentages? You weren't using the conjugate system then.

Unless you're thinking about the DE day, but there isn't a set 9-12week program, that's the definition of the conjugate system. Each person can make their own based upon both goals and weaknesses

blownby
09-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Ok...so take the articles, and just design something?

blownby
09-16-2009, 10:57 AM
So can some one "sum" up the conjugate method then.

Travis Bell
09-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Read this first and then go from there - http://westside-barbell.com/westside-articles/PDF.Files/04PDF/The%20Conjugate%20Method.pdf

blownby
09-16-2009, 11:12 AM
I've read it twice, ....just this morning. Now i am a SLOW reader:eek:

Ok, so is this to be done for a particular lift: bench or squat or dead only for a period of time? Or can this be used for all the main lifts?

KarlMarx
09-16-2009, 01:45 PM
It seems like you are thinking of linear or american periodization. The conjugate method is different. I wouldn't make up a program if you don't really know what it is. I have read a couple of books and tons of articles on it and I still follow an 'experts' program. http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/WS4SB.pdf

vdizenzo
09-16-2009, 01:53 PM
I used this article by Dave to create my raw routines. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/periodization_bible__part_2.htm Also, many years ago I read Louie's entire Westside manual. You can't argue with both of these great minds.

Hazerboy
09-16-2009, 05:49 PM
I would also encourage you to look at a lot of the pros journals after reading all of the articles too. Looking through these I was usually pretty surprised at how simple at lot of their workouts where, even though the system seemed really complicated.

I also noticed when I read his articles that sometimes he'll put a lot of emphasis on really specific exercise selection, like choosing really specific assistance exercises or choosing certain ME exercises. Like in a lot of his articles he'll talk about how you HAVE to use glute ham raises or reverse hypers or lots of JM presses and tricep extensions for your assistance stuff or something. While I think these are definitely useful and I suggest you at least try what he says, at the end of the day Louie isn't there to watch you lift and figure out where you're weak. Assistance stuff and exercise selection varies pretty heavily from person to person, so you need to find what works for you--the core of the program is what is important (ME work, speed work, etc). I didn't really realize this till after I looked through the journals of a lot of really strong people on here, and found out that most people kind of made westside training there own, and tailored the routine to their needs.

Thats why I think its such a great program, its really flexible in that way.

For instance, first time I tried conjugate training I did almost all good mornings for my ME work, with some box squats thrown in and kind of got nowhere. Maybe I wasn't doing them right but I've had them in my routine as assistance in some for or another for a long time, so I felt pretty comfortable with them. Next time around I just did squat and deadlift variations and got a lot more out of it.

robchris
09-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Conjugate method RULES... Thanks for posting the links guys! Great read.

NickAus
09-16-2009, 09:33 PM
I would also encourage you to look at a lot of the pros journals after reading all of the articles too. Looking through these I was usually pretty surprised at how simple at lot of their workouts where, even though the system seemed really complicated.

I also noticed when I read his articles that sometimes he'll put a lot of emphasis on really specific exercise selection, like choosing really specific assistance exercises or choosing certain ME exercises. Like in a lot of his articles he'll talk about how you HAVE to use glute ham raises or reverse hypers or lots of JM presses and tricep extensions for your assistance stuff or something. While I think these are definitely useful and I suggest you at least try what he says, at the end of the day Louie isn't there to watch you lift and figure out where you're weak. Assistance stuff and exercise selection varies pretty heavily from person to person, so you need to find what works for you--the core of the program is what is important (ME work, speed work, etc). I didn't really realize this till after I looked through the journals of a lot of really strong people on here, and found out that most people kind of made westside training there own, and tailored the routine to their needs.

Thats why I think its such a great program, its really flexible in that way.

For instance, first time I tried conjugate training I did almost all good mornings for my ME work, with some box squats thrown in and kind of got nowhere. Maybe I wasn't doing them right but I've had them in my routine as assistance in some for or another for a long time, so I felt pretty comfortable with them. Next time around I just did squat and deadlift variations and got a lot more out of it.

This makes alot of sense.

blownby
09-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Awesome...thanks everyone!