PDA

View Full Version : 531 excel calculator

brihead301
09-16-2009, 01:05 PM
I made up a cool little calculator that figures out all the percentages for the 5/3/1 program. All you have to do is enter your "maxes" for each lift, and it figures out the rest for you.

I used the "MROUND" function so it rounds up or down to the nearest multiple of 5 (225 * 0.95 = 213.75 >>>> 215, or 225 * 0.85 = 191.25 >>>> 190).

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dg9sgn

It's pretty cool.

vdizenzo
09-16-2009, 01:44 PM
I think Rhodes sent me an excel sheet for 5/3/1. It sure makes it easier. Nice job Bri.

deeder
09-16-2009, 01:52 PM
When I change the numbers for my maxes I get #NAME? in all the poundage boxes...

brihead301
09-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks Vin.

Deeder, I don't know why it's doing that for you. It works fine for me.

I do remember that sometimes, my excel gives me one of those #name things wherever a formula was applied to a cell. All I did was restart the computer and everything worked again.

deeder
09-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks Vin.

Deeder, I don't know why it's doing that for you. It works fine for me.

I do remember that sometimes, my excel gives me one of those #name things wherever a formula was applied to a cell. All I did was restart the computer and everything worked again.

Apparently I don't have that function installed in my Excel. I'm on my work computer and we don't have a complete install so that's probably the issue... I will check it out when I get home...

I guess this spreadsheet doesn't do much good if you haven't read the book since it's not the whole program...

martin
09-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Nice.

Never tried the 5/3/1 but may have a go after the worlds over winter.

I may use my raw bench + dl but use briefs for squat, I don't like squatting totally raw.

brihead301
09-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Apparently I don't have that function installed in my Excel. I'm on my work computer and we don't have a complete install so that's probably the issue... I will check it out when I get home...

I guess this spreadsheet doesn't do much good if you haven't read the book since it's not the whole program...

It would be stupid to start any new program like this without reading about it first. But basically yes, this is the whole program, just minus the assistance exercises, which are entirely up to the individual to choose which ones to do, and how many sets/reps to do. The 5/3/1 part of it is set in stone though.

evashiker
04-26-2011, 02:58 AM
I made up a cool little calculator that figures out all the percentages for the 5/3/1 program. All you have to do is enter your "maxes" for each lift, and it figures out the rest for you.

I used the "MROUND" function so it rounds up or down to the nearest multiple of 5 (225 * 0.95 = 213.75 >>>> 215, or 225 * 0.85 = 191.25 >>>> 190).

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dg9sgn

It's pretty cool.

I know this probably took quite a bit of time. It's a very nice calculator. The only thing is in the 531 program you're supposed to train at least 10% less than your perceived max. Jim said you'd get even get steady solid gains going to 80% of your perceived max to use as your training max. I simply added a column next to the max that says Percieved max then for the calculations
I put training max(B5) =sum("perceived max ie" C5*.85) that way all the calculations still work.

Thanks for putting the work in and creating this calculator!
I've enjoyed this program but the calculations have always been painful and the charts in the back of my book are all worn out.

Mark!
04-26-2011, 06:45 AM
I got my calculator a while back when I was working 5/3/1, the one Jim used himself. There a godsend for sure. Awesome work Bri.

shocker4221
04-26-2011, 09:24 AM
When I change the numbers for my maxes I get #NAME? in all the poundage boxes...

If you haven't already fixed it, you have to go into tools at the top on the tool bar and go to add ins, and click the top option then save the change. this will fix it