PDA

View Full Version : what will adding 520 calories per day of just protien do?

brihead301
09-17-2009, 08:19 PM
I've been maintaining my weight for the last few weeks. I've been eating low carbs on the weekdays, and whatever I want on the weekends. It's been working pretty well for me actually. I feel as if I could use some extra calories for recovery, so I was just gonna add in an extra 2 protien + shakes w/water a day.

Now, I'm thinking that this extra 520 calories per day probably isn't going to make me gain weight, although it might, but only for a short while. I also don't think protien gets stored as fat like excess carbs do.

So will this extra 500 help in my recovery? Or will it possibly cause me to gain more muscle while not gaining fat? I dunno. Usually when people add calories to thier diet, it is a mix of macros.

I don't believe that a calorie is just a calorie anymore after doing a lot of reading about keto, which is why I think something different would happen if I were to add an extra 500 calories per day of carbs, or even a mix of p/f/c or any of the two.

dynamo
09-17-2009, 09:14 PM
I would think if you need those calories for recovery then you will use them for recovery. I know when I add in more protein, usually for recovery, I don't gain any fat, but when I do carbs I gain a **** ton. I attribute that to the glycogen. If I have a good workout then cool, I'll eat some carbs to replenish, but as far as I am concerned (with my body) if I am carbing up beyond an insulin spike or a glycogen replenishment I am just eating useless calories.

A lot of the time I will stack carbs with protein and get my insulin spike on and have the protein ready with it. Though I must say usually I spike 2-4 hours after I have already had some significant amount of protein (50+g). If I were you I would just take in the protein as needed to see where you finally hit the point of recovery. I played with my protein intake and I started at 100g/day and worked my way up. I found about 200g/day is optimum for me, sometimes I do more, sometimes I do less (170-250 usually). I weighed in at 270 lbs last week. I would say I am probably about 15% bf now, I have the shadow of a 6 pack.

I haven't gained any weight in about a year and I just maintain and protein intake has never determined my body weight. I would say carbs really determine my body composition, I hold water really well, and carbs get packed on my waist really easily so high protein is the way to go for me. Of course if you look at the make up of these two things its 4 calories/g and I bet you could eat a whole box of cereal with milk and not think twice (probably 2000-3000 cals in a box), but if someone gave you 2000 calories of lean meat to eat, that would be a slow ass meal. So all in all I would say you might add muscle or you might just repair what muscle you need. I wouldn't worry about gaining weight too much, and you can always adjust your diet. Take 500g of carbs out if you're really concerned. hopefully this ramble wasn't too ramble-y.

Daniel Roberts
09-18-2009, 01:30 AM
I've been maintaining my weight for the last few weeks. I've been eating low carbs on the weekdays, and whatever I want on the weekends. It's been working pretty well for me actually. I feel as if I could use some extra calories for recovery, so I was just gonna add in an extra 2 protien + shakes w/water a day.

Now, I'm thinking that this extra 520 calories per day probably isn't going to make me gain weight, although it might, but only for a short while. I also don't think protien gets stored as fat like excess carbs do.

So will this extra 500 help in my recovery? Or will it possibly cause me to gain more muscle while not gaining fat? I dunno. Usually when people add calories to thier diet, it is a mix of macros.

I don't believe that a calorie is just a calorie anymore after doing a lot of reading about keto, which is why I think something different would happen if I were to add an extra 500 calories per day of carbs, or even a mix of p/f/c or any of the two.

I don't know where you are currently with your training, or do I know whether despite your weight remaining the same your body composition is changing, but to answer your question simply, if your body is maintaining weight, then any additional calories will create a surplus, unless your activity increases commensurately.

You mention 520kcal additional per day which I'm going to have to assume is roughly between 10 and 15% of your current maintenance, which to most is a 'bulk' phase.

If your training remains the same, then 520kcal of fat/carbs would as near as dammit all be stored as fat - approx 90%+ efficiency between ingested energy intake and energy derived after digestion.

Given that this same value for protein is approximately 70%, then approx 350kcal would be derived from the protein intake and stored as fat.

There's more to it than that, and of course there's more to the energy balance equation than simply calories in vs calories out, but given the complexity of the variations on both sides of the equation, for the most part you may as well just cancel them out and keep it simple.

Unreal
09-18-2009, 09:02 AM
Will it help recovery? Probably. Will it cause you to gain weight? Well if your at maintence now and add 520 calories a day then yes, you should gain about 1lb a week. Will it all be muscle? No.

Holto
09-18-2009, 11:08 AM
You didn't post your diet, so I assume you're not tracking it. If that's the case, my guess is that you'll simply eat 520 calories less somewhere else and there will be no impact.

brihead301
09-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the explanations guys.

My typical diet (on weekdays) is this:

7:30 am

2 cups whole milk
2 scoops ON whey

540 calories, 19 g fat, 32 g carbs, 64 g protien

12:00 pm

Either grilled chicken and brocolli
or
brocolli and cheese omelette
or
turkey and cheese wrap

estimated ~ 400 calories

5:00 - preworkout
4 eggs w/ cheese

about 400 calories

8:00 post-workout

2 scoops whey w/ water

240 calories, 3 g fat, 8 g carbs, 48 g protien

about 1600 calories per day - very high protien and low in fat and carbs. I'd like to increase my fat intake though, but that's another topic.

Now, this was what allowed me to cut down to where I'm at now. I think I'm eating WAYYY too little though, and I still think that if I added 500 extra calories, I'd still maintain my weight. I may even just add one extra shake w/2 scoops of peanut butter too...

Holto
09-18-2009, 01:16 PM
I think I'm eating WAYYY too little though

This is a reason why it's important to track your intake. My guess is you're really nailing your diet in terms of eating really filling stuff and it's allowed you to run your metabolism down too much.

Start tracking it really carefully and micro-increment until you're eating a healthier daily total.

brihead301
09-18-2009, 01:32 PM
This is a reason why it's important to track your intake. My guess is you're really nailing your diet in terms of eating really filling stuff and it's allowed you to run your metabolism down too much.

Start tracking it really carefully and micro-increment until you're eating a healthier daily total.

Nope, I'm hungry all the time. But I was cutting too, so I expected that. Now, I'd like to maintain my weight, and keep the metabolism fast. I was thinking an extra 500 calories a day would do just that!

Holto
09-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Yeah bro. Eat at maintenance or above until your metabolism is back.