PDA

View Full Version : Bench setup

BigTallOx
09-18-2009, 10:57 AM
I've been playing around with my bench setup ( or more like struggling with, lol ). My tight hips prevent me from going wide with my feet, so instead I've been trying to bring my feet back under/behind my knees. My quads are also pretty tight too, so I can't bring my feet really far back yet, but with just this small difference in foot placement, my hips are in a better position for me to arch, and I've shorted my stroke by 2" compared to how I was setting up ( I've measured it ). I'm really excited about this, I can't wait for ME benching tomorrow morning to see how it feels with weight.

Here's a video of what I'm talking about, first is what I was doing, second is with my new foot placement. This is a short bench too, the regulation bench is about an inch higher.
u6404NKNalM

I'm hoping this is a small step in the right direction. I think eventually ( after some quad stretching ) I'll be able to bring my feet back even more, which will tilt my hips even more, which will allow me to arch even more.

NickAus
09-19-2009, 06:50 AM
You are right, once you get your feet under you more you will be able to get a better arch.
Try to get your shoulders as close as possible to your ass too.
Not sure if you were trying or not but you can also get way way tighter.
Cutting 2" off your stroke is a lot so you should see your bench take off once you work on it more!

Good luck.

BigTallOx
09-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Given I have a full meet next week, I didn't try to come near my max benching today, but WOW, I felt strong with my new setup, really strong. This is good and I consider it kind of a break through, probably should have done this before, but then again I don't think my strength level was really enough to do it. Very cool, though.

gregory.rox
09-19-2009, 08:10 PM
You are right, once you get your feet under you more you will be able to get a better arch.
Try to get your shoulders as close as possible to your ass too.

Good luck.

Really? My coach at school for a class that we lift weights in (and he is also one of my football coaches) tells us not to have a big arch and to have our feet flat on the floor. But this next week I think I will try to do the same form BigTallOx was showing in the video....when we get done maxing out.

BigTallOx
09-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Really? My coach at school for a class that we lift weights in (and he is also one of my football coaches) tells us not to have a big arch and to have our feet flat on the floor. But this next week I think I will try to do the same form BigTallOx was showing in the video....when we get done maxing out.

Arching takes stress off the shoulders. I don't know that I'm a good example of what to do though. I'm really tall and have issues that are unique to me. Good luck though.

Barbaccio
09-19-2009, 08:50 PM
You definitely need some work on loosening up your hips. You have no movement in them and it's killing your arch. Loosening them up some will help alot. You want to be able to push your belly button up to the ceiling. Another hint would be to set your feet first. You seem to arch and then get your feet into position. Set your feet first, then swing though. It'll be uncomfortable as hell and you'll probably cramp up alot but eventually it'll help. I'll help you out however I can Ox. I'm your size and I know the difficulties you're going to run into. Get those hips loosened up! That's your #1 issue right now!

BigTallOx
09-19-2009, 09:40 PM
You definitely need some work on loosening up your hips. You have no movement in them and it's killing your arch. Loosening them up some will help alot. You want to be able to push your belly button up to the ceiling. Another hint would be to set your feet first. You seem to arch and then get your feet into position. Set your feet first, then swing though. It'll be uncomfortable as hell and you'll probably cramp up alot but eventually it'll help. I'll help you out however I can Ox. I'm your size and I know the difficulties you're going to run into. Get those hips loosened up! That's your #1 issue right now!

Thanks man, I agree completely and I'm working on it. 20+ years of sitting behind a computer all day has really hurt my hip flexibility, but I'm working on it, and will continue until I'm where I need to be. If you have any advice on how to gain some hip flexibility I'd appreciate it.

What's awesome though is that even with the small change I've made to my foot placement, this morning I felt so much stronger, and although I didn't test my max today because of the meet next week, I bet my raw max is 20 pounds more if not more. It's a small step, but I think over time small steps like this will add up to my bench being respectable. But that really doesn't matter, I can honestly say I really love benching, the ME workout with the group saturday morning is the best couple hours of my week.

Niko_El_Piko
09-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks man, I agree completely and I'm working on it. 20+ years of sitting behind a computer all day has really hurt my hip flexibility, but I'm working on it, and will continue until I'm where I need to be. If you have any advice on how to gain some hip flexibility I'd appreciate it.

What's awesome though is that even with the small change I've made to my foot placement, this morning I felt so much stronger, and although I didn't test my max today because of the meet next week, I bet my raw max is 20 pounds more if not more. It's a small step, but I think over time small steps like this will add up to my bench being respectable. But that really doesn't matter, I can honestly say I really love benching, the ME workout with the group saturday morning is the best couple hours of my week.

Check this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKnpmQNhc3w

Although is actually for "squat" mobility, it should probably help you.

regards!

Judas
09-23-2009, 04:58 AM
I remember when i finally 'got' the WSB set-up my old trainer was always pushing on us. I dont know if its really the way they do it at Westside, but thats what he called it, and he was a devout WSB follower.

I started benching by just lying flat and using a full ROM and got pretty strong that way, and then when i nailed the set-up my max went up 20lbs that night. It just basically turns a bench into a decline bench, thats all you're trying to do, within the regulation limits ov whichever fed you're lifting in obviously. There can be a pretty big difference between a good multi-ply bench set-up and a good IPF one.

What i do, in a nutshell, is lay down, grab the bar, put my feet up on the bench and arch WAAAAY up, plant the traps into the bench (cranks the **** outta my neck), pinching the shoulders in one at a time, then drop the legs down one by one, then lock it in. My legs aren't too far back, and i dont think that is necessarily imperative... everyone is different. My ass just hovers above the bench and covers only what i would need it to for the IPF rules. I dont think there is a single muscle i haven't cramped at one time or another benching like this, but thats how you know it works. Heh heh... its NOT supposed to be comfortable.

allan3
09-23-2009, 06:04 PM
someone once told me to put a pvc pipe under my lower back- and as time goes on to use a bigger(diameter) pipe- they claim this will "teach" a good arch. i dont know- i havent tried it yet ;-)

mattdunkin
09-24-2009, 02:06 AM
someone once told me to put a pvc pipe under my lower back- and as time goes on to use a bigger(diameter) pipe- they claim this will "teach" a good arch. i dont know- i havent tried it yet ;-)

I remember Buddy McKee(mastermonster) on another forum some time ago talking about how he used a football to build his arch and now has a pretty f'ing sick ROM.Then again there is another bencher out there who will remain nameless (cough*Roger*cough*Ryan*!!!)who has used beer pretty impressively to reduce his bench press ROM.

Ryano
09-24-2009, 05:44 AM
I remember Buddy McKee(mastermonster) on another forum some time ago talking about how he used a football to build his arch and now has a pretty f'ing sick ROM.Then again there is another bencher out there who will remain nameless (cough*Roger*cough*Ryan*!!!)who has used beer pretty impressively to reduce his bench press ROM.

Hey, hey,hey, the beer works! I also arch over a 4"pvc pipe. It does work. My ROM is ALOT more than Buddy's but so is my bench. hahhahhaaaa