PDA

View Full Version : Protein Shake on 0 carb days?

d0rkyd00d
09-18-2009, 02:54 PM
I noticed my protein shake has about 26g of carbs...I'm carb cycling, I'm wondering if I should still drink a shake on 0 carb days?

bass slayer
09-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Just curious, why do you have days with no carbs? Is there a nutritional bennefit from it?

Unreal
09-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Get a different shake for low carb days.

radioheadhead
09-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Nitrean

Kuz
09-18-2009, 05:21 PM
I have never heard of a diet where of days with completely zero carbs and I cannot believe a protein shake with a scant 3g of carbs would mess up one of those days anyway. At a certain point, I would believe you would get diminishing marginal returns for dropping carbs. Even some of the stricter low carbs diets have something like 20-30g on their low days.

So I say knock back the shake with the 3g and don't sweat over the small stuff. Getting this focused on the minutiae is not going to help you in your goals.

Y2A
09-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Plenty of protein powders, including nitrean, have close to zero carbs.

VikingWarlord
09-18-2009, 07:21 PM
I have never heard of a diet where of days with completely zero carbs

My guess is that would probably mean you've never heard of a carb cycle.

LuNa
09-18-2009, 07:49 PM
I noticed my protein shake has about 26g of carbs...I'm carb cycling, I'm wondering if I should still drink a shake on 0 carb days?

Drop the protein shake. On my no carb days i allow myself to have about 26g. My protein powder has 3g of carbs per serving. Look into stuff from AtLarge.

cphafner
09-18-2009, 08:33 PM
I wouldn't worry about it.

Kuz
09-19-2009, 01:39 PM

No, I am actually cycling carbs now myself, but the notion that you simply need to get to absolute zero carbs strikes me as goofy... especially when you obsess to the point of something having 3 grams of carbs in it. Yeesh.

jreed110
09-19-2009, 02:51 PM
No, I am actually cycling carbs now myself, but the notion that you simply need to get to absolute zero carbs strikes me as goofy... especially when you obsess to the point of something having 3 grams of carbs in it. Yeesh.

Try taking a read of his initial post, it's slightly more than 3g carbs he's worrying about.

cphafner
09-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Try taking a read of his initial post, it's slightly more than 3g carbs he's worrying about.

I misread that too then. I was thinking it was a typical protein shake with a few grams of protein per shake. This sounds like a meal replacement shake.

Kuz
09-19-2009, 09:43 PM
I misread that too then. I was thinking it was a typical protein shake with a few grams of protein per shake. This sounds like a meal replacement shake.

OK, did he go back and edit his post then? Because I would not have quoted 3g if it was truly 26g.

In that case, switch your protein shake because that truly must be a MRP.

cphafner
09-19-2009, 09:50 PM
OK, did he go back and edit his post then? Because I would not have quoted 3g if it was truly 26g.

In that case, switch your protein shake because that truly must be a MRP.

no edit done

d0rkyd00d
09-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the response guys. I will probably bite the bullet and get nitrean with my next paycheck, I know it's the best out there and looks like it has really low carbs.

When I say 0 carbs, I'm not talking about the minimal amount of carbs found in green stringy vegetables, milk, cottage cheese, etc. I'm guessing a 0 carb day literally would look like water only.....

And don't worry about it Kuz, nobody's perfect.

cphafner
09-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the response guys. I will probably bite the bullet and get nitrean with my next paycheck, I know it's the best out there and looks like it has really low carbs.

When I say 0 carbs, I'm not talking about the minimal amount of carbs found in green stringy vegetables, milk, cottage cheese, etc. I'm guessing a 0 carb day literally would look like water only.....

And don't worry about it Kuz, nobody's perfect.

The greens I wouldn't count towards carbs, but I wouldn't be consuming milk and cottage cheese on zero carb days. Ton of sugar in milk.

Kuz
09-20-2009, 10:57 AM
no edit done

Yeesh - then my reading comprehension was sucking hard that day. lol

malkore
09-25-2009, 10:33 AM

I have, but not a ZERO carb day.

must be a hell of an extreme diet...even fAtkins lets you have a handful of carbs.

45g of carbs with 25g coming from fiber is as low as I've gone when cycling. Lower than that and you'd have to hide all the guns from me. no carbs = crazed malkore.