PDA

View Full Version : my first olympic lifting meet recap

gopostal42
09-19-2009, 05:03 PM
olympic lifting meet at ETSU

first ever olympic lifting meet attended and/or lifting in so this was interesting. weighed in at 90.4kgs just barely making the 94's by 8 or so pounds haha. only real goal was to total 215kgs to qualify for collegiate nationals which would probably require 4 attempts made. also made a bit of a culture clash with the others as i was a fish out of water wearing an inzer shirt, house of pain singlet and bright red chuck taylors :P anywho, onto the important stuff.

snatch
warm ups everything is in kilos
20 2x complexes
40 2x3 felt horrible
60 1x2
70x1
80x1
85x1

1st attempt
88kg - easy openers ended up in a power snatch because it came up so fast
2nd
95kg - easy again same deal
3rd
100kg - just as easy, felt like i left 10k on the platform here 250 snatch isn't too far away

clean and jerk

figured this would be very interesting since i haven't done a jerk over 50% in many months that recollect anyway. had no idea if i was gonna split jerk power jerk or squat jerk haha

warm ups
20 2x complexes
40x3
60x2 ended up going with a modified power jerk that i'll just call a sumo power jerk *a wilcox original*
70x1
85x1
100x1
110x1

1st
115kg - easy opener and gave me my qualifying total for collegiate nationals.
2nd
125kg/130kg - solid clean and solid jerk but felt heavy and for good reason, was told after by the table that it was a misload and was actually 130kg instead of the 125k i called for haha
3rd
X137kgX - had an awesome clean on this and the bar hit me right in the throat and stayed there. cut off too much blood to my head so on the recovery the ceiling was moving in circles while i'm trying to regroup for the jerk, it never did. tried to jerk it anyway got it to lockout but lost my balance. should have had it but thats just the way of it.

5 for 6 in my first meet without really training for it at all. honestly i should give all the credit to naomi aka "nomey the wonder coach". she planned all my warm ups and attempts perfectly and basically held my hand and walked me through the whole meet. didn't have to think about anything aside from the one time i did math which was 100k+115k=215k. had a lot of fun even though it almost as boring as usapl meets with no one saying a word in the crowd but it was a very different experience and i just cracked jokes with friends the whole time and made fun of a few people (mostly myself). i don't know if i'll do collegiate nationals or not but i know one thing, i enjoyed getting the weird looks and comments of "that powerlifting guy in the chucks is probably slow" among other things and outlifting several of them and ruffling feathers of the others :D.

dynamo
09-19-2009, 05:18 PM
sweet good job! were the oly lifters all soft? I hear bumper plates made the oly lifter soft since they no longer had to lower the weight, thus eliminating half the work.

Sean S
09-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Good job. Just goes to show you what a good strength base will do with some basic technique. What's strange is that you are actually in one of the upper weight classes in olympic lifting.

Judas
09-19-2009, 05:25 PM
sweet good job! were the oly lifters all soft? I hear bumper plates made the oly lifter soft since they no longer had to lower the weight, thus eliminating half the work.

Whatthe****...???

Anyways, solid job man. Thats a killer total for a 'non-weightlifter'. I always thought you were a little guy though... 200lbs...???

Hazerboy
09-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Nice job man! What did your routine look like leading up to this? Did you teach yourself form or did you have a coach? From your sig it looks like you've got a pretty heavy powerlifting background XD

Tom Mutaffis
09-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Nice job out there, where was the meet?

lil' power
09-19-2009, 07:20 PM
good job Derek, we're not going to lose you from PL'ing now, are we....lol

ZenMonkey
09-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Awesome work!! :thumbup:

Hazerboy
09-19-2009, 08:14 PM

I think he's asking if Oly lifters have less muscle/definition, because bumper plates eliminated the eccentric motion of the lift (the part that engages the most hypertrophy).

I'm sure they looked about the same though man lol.

slashkills
09-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Nice job dude!

gopostal42
09-19-2009, 11:50 PM

:scratch: thanks, and no they weren't soft. their upper bodies were smaller than powerlifters of course but they were real bottom heavy. i actually had one of the bigger upper bodies which is a complete 180 from normal.

Good job. Just goes to show you what a good strength base will do with some basic technique. What's strange is that you are actually in one of the upper weight classes in olympic lifting.

yeah i was fatty mcgee for once, thanks man

Whatthe****...???

Anyways, solid job man. Thats a killer total for a 'non-weightlifter'. I always thought you were a little guy though... 200lbs...???

i've been 195-200for the last year even though i just moved up from 181 in pl. thanky

Nice job man! What did your routine look like leading up to this? Did you teach yourself form or did you have a coach? From your sig it looks like you've got a pretty heavy powerlifting background XD

i didn't train for this aside from 1 snatch workout and 1 session for cleans. i have had the extreme luck to have a former female national champion coach me on tech in the past. thats the nomey the wonder coach i spoke of.

Nice job out there, where was the meet?

ETSU

good job Derek, we're not going to lose you from PL'ing now, are we....lol

haha no way