PDA

View Full Version : How to gain weight CONSISTENTLY?

Benj
09-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Hello, i'v looked at gaining weight, i'm extremely underweight and wanting to gain more heathly weight. Now i suppose myself gaining fat wouldent' really be a problem as i am skin and bone, but i don't want to gain to much fat and look like and unfit fatty! I'm going to start training shortly too but dont know weather i should just try to gain a couple of stone first maybe? I'm currently around the 10stone(62kg, 136lbs) mark at 5ft9"..I'd say i'm a hardgainer as i'v tried before to gain weight, i can but as soon as i slack on foods the weight just drops of like its nothing and all the work and feeling bloated comes to nothing in the end. It's like im destined to be around this weight, as i can eat loads or nothing and still just hover on the same weight. Ideally i want to be around the 13/14stone mark ((90kg,200lb)

I'm going to buy a weight gain shake aswell as eating more carbs in the sort of porridge and meats etc.

The main question is, how many calories will i need to add onto my current diet to actual start graduely gain weight. Like i say i'v done this before but after a while, i just stop gaining weight so i think there's no point in eating this much as it's having no effect. Does this mean once i STOP gaining, i should just up the calorie intake? If so by how much per day to keep the weight gradually going up. I'm not looking for a massive instant gain, even 2lb a week would be good to start with. I'm obviously going to train aswell to keep me in shape aswell as getting some muscle growth.

My calorie intake varies at the moment. I think its proberly around the 1500 mark, sometimes less.. Would me doubling it start me gaining weight?

Thanks in advance..

radioheadhead
09-20-2009, 12:53 PM
if you're only getting 1500 kcal/ day, there is your problem. The 2000 cal/ day diet that is referred to on US food labels is about the maintenance for a 150lb male with little activity.

you need to figure out your maintenance calories and add about 500-750 per day to it and eat that much EVERY DAY. work out hard, focus on compounds (squat, deadlift, chins, rows, bench) and keep EATING.

*read the stickies at the top of each forum, as well

Benj
09-20-2009, 01:09 PM
if you're only getting 1500 kcal/ day, there is your problem. The 2000 cal/ day diet that is referred to on US food labels is about the maintenance for a 150lb male with little activity.

you need to figure out your maintenance calories and add about 500-750 per day to it and eat that much EVERY DAY. work out hard, focus on compounds (squat, deadlift, chins, rows, bench) and keep EATING.

*read the stickies at the top of each forum, as well

Thanks..just wonder tho. You know once i start gaining the weight, do you gradually up the intake of calories?

IE: If i add like you say 500-750 calories per day extra, will this build up my weight for a short time or over a longer time? I know its all down to how much you burn but as a guideline. If eating the extra 500-750 for example on a daily basis, surely after a while a weight gain will stop? If so then how much do i need to increase if you know what i mean.

PoundingPlates
09-20-2009, 01:44 PM
As your body and physique changes over time you may occasionally need to re-evaluate your caloric needs. Lets say your mantience calories is 2000 a day.
So at 2500 a day you should be gaining roughly one pound a week. After awhile though you may stop gaining weight because of increased lean body mass. So then you would need increase your calories again if you wanted to keep gaining weight. Hope that helped....

Think of your body as a vehicle....when you start $10 worth of gas in the tank might get you around all day but when your vehicle gets bigger and heavier you're gonna have to throw more gas in it.

Benj
09-20-2009, 02:02 PM
ahh, yeah that does help a lot. Thanks buddy.

smalltiny
09-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Benj you're right to talk about nutrition, but to really get a healthy result you need to add workout to the ecuation. I tried the tips I read about on howcelebritiesloseweight.com and it has been a real help. I really recommend it.

Unreal
09-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Figure it takes about 3500 extra calories to add a lb. So if you eat 500 a day over you will gain about 1lb a week. Adjust your diet to meet your goals. If you want to gain 2lbs a week then eat 1000 over. Just know that the quicker you gain the more fat you will add.

Benj
09-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Figure it takes about 3500 extra calories to add a lb. So if you eat 500 a day over you will gain about 1lb a week. Adjust your diet to meet your goals. If you want to gain 2lbs a week then eat 1000 over. Just know that the quicker you gain the more fat you will add.

Is that a guess? Or is that known fact? I'v always wondered how many calories = a pound of weight. I'm looking at gaining 2/3lbs per week, or is that classed as unhealthy? I'd like to gain more but not so sure if its good for me! Like i say im not to bothered about gaining fat as i proberly need fat on me!

What's the most weight can you gain? I know it's down each individual, but a rough idea would be great.

Unreal
09-21-2009, 12:47 PM
A pound of fat contains 3500 calories. The exact number needed for your body is going to vary from person to person but it is a fact that 1lb of fat contains ~3500 calories. You just need to track your diet and calories and adjust as needed. 2/3lbs a week is perfectly fine. Most people shoot for 1lb a week.

Most weight you can gain? What are you asking? You could do 3-4lbs a week if you wanted and add 200lbs if you wanted. What are you asking?

skinny99
09-21-2009, 02:09 PM
One thing I have since I started being serious about my diet and training is to accuratly track your nutrition! It is very easy to over/under estimate your food intake. There is a great website called fit day that is very efficent!

http://www.fitday.com/

drew
09-21-2009, 05:59 PM
You're 5' 9" and 136 lbs. You should be eating everything in sight. When you hit 200 lbs you can start worrying about body fat. As long as you train heavy and eat big, you won't have too much to worry about with fat gain.

And by eat big, I mean you should be eating until you feel full, then eat more until you are uncomfortable. Then drink a protein shake. Don't worry about calories, just eat a lot.

platypus
09-23-2009, 12:03 AM
eat CONSISTENTLY-->gain weight CONSISTENTLY.

if your maintenance is 1500, then yes, doubling it would induce weight gain. eating anything above your maintenance will induce weight gain. i'd suggest hopping on GOMAD.

Benj
09-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks for all the response guys. Most grateful! Does it depend on your own metabolism to what a 'maintenace weight' is kept. IE: If my maintenace is 1500calories for my weight, if i doubled it to 3000 calories then id put on weight right? But once i stop gaining the weight and keep to 3000 calories per day, what weight would that be for me? As a rough guide? Or is all majorly different for different people?

Thanks in advance, Ben

Sean S
09-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks for all the response guys. Most grateful! Does it depend on your own metabolism to what a 'maintenace weight' is kept. IE: If my maintenace is 1500calories for my weight, if i doubled it to 3000 calories then id put on weight right? But once i stop gaining the weight and keep to 3000 calories per day, what weight would that be for me? As a rough guide? Or is all majorly different for different people?

Thanks in advance, Ben

There's no way to predict this. Keep things as simple as possible. Get on a good training program. Eat more until you are gaining weight regularly. When the weight gain stops, start eating even more. Repeat until you've reached your desired weight.

earthbuddy1
09-24-2009, 09:09 AM
If maintanance is 1500, I dont think id double it right away. Your metabolism could be out of whack. May need to increment over period of several months. Start lifting and adding more calories. Might start a beginner full body using one to two 10 to 15 rep sets after lighter weight warm up sets. (say 3 warm up sets and 1 to 2 work sets). If you have not lifted in a while, you need to start easy or else the muscle soreness will be tough. Do a "getting used to lifting" workout for first 2 weeks .

Start tracking your foods on fitday.com to see where you are. learn about good foods and meals. All meals should be a lean protein(low in sat fat) fiborus carb (veggies) and a starchy carb (potato, rice and such). Add 200 cal per day the first week. then 200 more the second week. If you stay the same, or gain weight, Hold there for a third week and see how the weight adds up. If you are loseing, add 200 more. Once your weight moves up, you will find a new maintance. You weight increase may stop. Then you need to add 200 more calories for a week, then maybe even 200 more. Its a progressive thing.

Check your PM.

SEOINAGE
09-24-2009, 01:25 PM
I'd find maintenance like people said, then add about 750 calories to it. And shoot for maximum 2 lbs a week, most likely that will put a lb of fat and a lb of muscle on you, and I think anymore would just be fast or else you wouldn't even digest it and crap it out.

Benj
09-24-2009, 02:51 PM
ok, thanks guys, most helpful and grateful for your replies! :)

Weaves
09-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Try 2500 cal/day and move up to 3000 if that you're not gaining at least a pound per week. Weight gainers are great for adding size since they pack 800-1000 calories per serving and make sure to drink a shake after working out. Eating smaller and more frequent meals (6-8 per day) helps prevent the body from going into a catabolic state (breaking down muscle tissue for protein). Stick to whole foods such as meat, oatmeal, fruits and vegetables, milk, eggs, etc.

Developing a weight lifting routine for weight gain plays a huge role in your success. 30-45 minute workouts 3-4 days/week would be a good start (over training will completely halt any progress you make). Base your training sessions around multi-joint compound free weight exercises and use cables and machines in moderation. Make sure the following lifts are included: squats, deadlifts, bench presses, pull-ups, bent-over barbell rows, vertical barbell or dumbbell presses.

Hope this helps.

snikez
09-26-2009, 05:41 PM
well what I try to do is just experiment until you find a certain number of calories that you'll gain a pound with in a week. In my case after I gain the pound, I'll go up 50 calories for the next week. Almost always I gain a pound and nothing more. Btw I find it's a lot more accurate to just track your own caloric intake for a while and see how much weight you lose/gain, rather than following formula equations. good luck!

Benj
09-27-2009, 07:08 AM
well what I try to do is just experiment until you find a certain number of calories that you'll gain a pound with in a week. In my case after I gain the pound, I'll go up 50 calories for the next week. Almost always I gain a pound and nothing more. Btw I find it's a lot more accurate to just track your own caloric intake for a while and see how much weight you lose/gain, rather than following formula equations. good luck!

I take it you mean 50 calories extra per day totalling 350 extra calories per week? Are you an easy gainer because when i'v tried this before, i lose weight even if activity is quite low. It seems i'v got to do a massive increase in calories to gain weight, it drives me mad and always feel bloated so the degree all i can do is cabage on the sofa till its digested! I must do something wrong..

Benj
09-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Oh and by the way i'm on a milkshake by the name of "atlas 1500" As title suggests, its 1500 calories per serving, but very heavy on the stomach. I just about manage to down one before i collapse.

galileo
09-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Those shakes are typically just a TON of sugar. Real food is the way to go, by a long shot. You can find 100 ways to get 1500 calories in one sitting without choking down that ****.

vdizenzo
09-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Those shakes are typically just a TON of sugar. Real food is the way to go, by a long shot. You can find 100 ways to get 1500 calories in one sitting without choking down that ****.

Not all products are alike. There's only 6 grams of sugar in a serving of ALN's Maximus http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=18 . I have used the product with great success. It's full of great ingredients and it tastes great. It also happens to be on sale right now.

Nicky
09-27-2009, 06:55 PM
You could try eating your normal 1500 cals a day PLUS a gallon of whole milk on top of it. That would give you an easy 3900 cals a day. Do it every day for a few months and you will pack it on. Just telling what worked for this skinny guy.

P.S. I LOVE being 200 plus!

Benj
09-28-2009, 06:41 AM
You could try eating your normal 1500 cals a day PLUS a gallon of whole milk on top of it. That would give you an easy 3900 cals a day. Do it every day for a few months and you will pack it on. Just telling what worked for this skinny guy.

P.S. I LOVE being 200 plus!

I'm looking at gaining massive weight quickly, as even 2 stone of extra fat on me would make me look somewhat of a normal weight. Fingers crossed i'v gained weight in the last week from the 1500 calorie servings from the milkshake. Did you take any milkshakes or just had milk to make your massive gains in weight? Id love to get to the 200lb mark, make me feel so much more confortable with myself. Iv always said id rather be slightly overweight or look slightly tubby rather than the looking skinny. It makes me look ill if anything with teenagers looking to have a bulkier build than myself.

ps: is there 8pints to a gallon? If so, would all this digest properly ? As in is it to much? (Iknow it worked for you, just seems a lot!)

Nicky
09-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Yes 8 pints in 1 gallon. I did and do take whey protein shakes right after my workout and before bed. That much milk spread out through the day should not be a problem. For a while there I was drinking a gallon and a half a day. One gallon during my 10 hour work day and another half or so in the evenings at home. Heres the kicker: I was lactose intolerant for years before this! I am far from an expert but anything I can help with let me know.