PDA

View Full Version : 10 lbs in 2 weeks - gaining strength?

Wayward
09-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi all, sorry for the long post in advance.

I know most folks shoot to lose a few pounds a week on a cut program. I've been back into training & dieting for about the past 2.5 months now, and in the last two weeks I've really noticed the scale moving downward. I'm encouraged by that, but also a bit concerned. I will try to give as much detail as possible:

My job requires me to sit at a desk for 9 hours per day, and that's when I come home and train for about an hour-ish days a week:

4 days weight split
3 days of cardio for 45m (1 of these days is a two-a-day + weights)

That's 6 days total of training. Saturdays are my off day. I do nothing except perhaps a light activity; picking apples this week. ;)

I'm always 40+% protein in my macro count, and I carb higher on weight days, fat higher on cardio days. All carbs are fruit/oats, no bread, and the majority of my fats come from flax & nuts. I take a multi, whey 2x a day, and NO supp pre-workout.

Currently 5'10, 220 pounds @ Age 27 - and I'm taking in about 1600 calories per day. Seems a little low, but I honestly don't do ANYTHING but sit around for about 90% of my day so I kicked it down a bunch. I have not lowered my sodium intake at all in the past 2 months. I generally eat low sodium, as it is.

As the title suggests, I've dropped 10 pounds in the past two weeks - and this is after being 2 months in. My lifts are improving almost every session, so that seems good, but I'm wondering just how long 'beginner's luck' lasts before I should be concerned about gnawing away at muscle tissue. Primary goal IS fat loss, I just don't want to obliterate myself long term.

Should I be worrying about my caloric intake yet, despite my results? I don't feel tired/hungry/weak, but 10 pounds sure seems like more than usual.

tom183
09-20-2009, 11:23 PM
If you're gaining strength and losing weight then I dont see any cause for concern despite the drastic drop. I must ask though, has there been consistency in the weighing process?

LuNa
09-21-2009, 12:04 AM
Increase in strength doesnt always mean you have the same amount of muscle mass. The increase could also be from CNS adaptations. Unless the increases are significant and you feel "skinnier" instead of leaner you might want to decrease the amount of cardio you do.

Wayward
09-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks guys. I am a bit worried, since I'd guess some of it is in fact lean mass, although I am certainly watching the fat peel off my abdomen and it's really hard for me to gauge whether or not that's true, or I'm just a turbofatty (or both). Is there a certain timeframe that I should start seeing CNS adaptations taper off? Sorry if it's an easy to find answer...

I suppose I'm a bit puzzled since I didn't really change my diet / training schedule and all the sudden the weight loss just doubled on me.

I definitely want to maximize my results, but I don't want to cut my calories so low that I eat away at my muscle tissue. I'd like to keep the cardio since it's going to help me not need an oxygen mask going into Spring - would it just be better to bump my calories up a bit then if I manage to lose over 2-3 lbs again, you think?

Tom - I weigh myself once a week first thing in the morning. I haven't been tracking per day or anything. Like I mentioned, it had been the expected 2 pounds or so, then wham... double.

LuNa
09-21-2009, 06:35 PM
To be honest, i wish i had the 10lbs loss. I would give it another week and see what happens. I really doubt you will keep losing this much.

Wayward
09-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Fair enough.

I'll sit back and see how the next week or so turns out without any adjustments. I think had it been one week I would have just shrugged it off; two in a row forced me into worrying a little bit, especially since the ones before that had been consistently less. :)

I feel good when I train, and very lively throughout the day... so if I need to make some upward calorie adjustments or some routine modifications I think that can be done pretty easily without causing me too much grief. 10 pounds, while "good" I suppose, freaked me out pretty good since it was out of nowhere.