PDA

View Full Version : Few quick general questions/help

Dcnotte
09-21-2009, 02:18 PM
So I've been doing the p90x program for a while now, and I enjoy it see improvements and whatnot, but I feel that my nutrition is lacking. Generally my goal is to obviously just put on muscle. I'm not obsessed with reaching a certain number (i'm 160lbs at 5'8 currently) but I would just like to cut the fat and increase muscle.

Very quickly, my routine follows the pattern of day 1 lift, day 2 cardio, day 3 lift and so on. (I switch up muscle groups and whatnot) The suppliments I am taking are Whey Protein (Generic), Cassene Protein (Muscle Milk) and a pre-workout drink (Fast Twitch). Also i take a multi-vitamin every day.

When it comes to eating, I mostly eat twice a day and try to eat balanced meals. (veggies, proteins, and carbs.) When it comes to snacking I try to keep it small but usualy they are like 100 calorie packs or whatever is in the fridge. No junk food though.

So my questions are:

1. What should I be eating in terms of snacks or just generally throughout the day. I've always heard about small constant meals instead of 2 or 3 large ones. Any tips?

2. Regarding calories. I was under the impression that in order to cut fat, I would have to cut calories, but this seems detrimental to muscle building. Are calories less important than what you are actually eating. For instance could I eat unlimited amounts of plain grilled chicken throughout the day (instead of a 100 calorie pack of pretzels for example) because the chicken is more beneficial even though it might be more calorie wise than the diet snack?

3. Lastly regarding the 3 drinks/supplements currently I only take all 3 on the days that I actually lift with weights. On the cardio/rest/stretch days I don't take anything. Should I take them every day regardless of what I am doing workout wise in order to keep my body used to them or would i just be wasting the servings?

Sorry for the amateur questions.

Thanks in advance.

geordie1986
09-21-2009, 02:36 PM
how tall are you? 160 lbs seems quite lean for someone wanting to cut but each to their own i suppose.

Dcnotte
09-21-2009, 02:47 PM
how tall are you? 160 lbs seems quite lean for someone wanting to cut but each to their own i suppose.

I'm only 5'8. It's not that I have a lot of fat on me. It's just that there is a thin layer over my stomach that prevents my abs from showing as much as I would like. Other than that though there isn't much fat which is why I want to bulk up. I just didn't want to add that layer anymore which is why I wasn't sure about the questions above.

Unreal
09-21-2009, 03:54 PM
1. What should I be eating in terms of snacks or just generally throughout the day. I've always heard about small constant meals instead of 2 or 3 large ones. Any tips?

What you need is a diet plan. 2 meals or 10 doesn't matter much. It is whatever fits your calories and macros (grams of fat/carbs/protein). Eating larger meals or smaller meals is for convience and doing what works for you. The only important meals are pre and post workout.

2. Regarding calories. I was under the impression that in order to cut fat, I would have to cut calories, but this seems detrimental to muscle building. Are calories less important than what you are actually eating. For instance could I eat unlimited amounts of plain grilled chicken throughout the day (instead of a 100 calorie pack of pretzels for example) because the chicken is more beneficial even though it might be more calorie wise than the diet snack?

Yes to cut fat you have to cut calories and focus on eating less then you burn. Yes if you are in a caloric defecit it is hard to build muscle and in fact you may lose muscle while focusing on fat loss. You can't build a house without wood and you can't build muscle out of air. You can't burn through a lot of body fat and lose weight while eating more then your body needs. There are exceptions but in general you focus on one or the other. You can try to do a recomp where you do both at once but that is typically very slow and you would get to your end result faster by doing one then the other. Pick a goal and stick to it. If you want to drop the fat then focus on dropping far for 8-10 weeks, see what you look like and reevaluate.

3. Lastly regarding the 3 drinks/supplements currently I only take all 3 on the days that I actually lift with weights. On the cardio/rest/stretch days I don't take anything. Should I take them every day regardless of what I am doing workout wise in order to keep my body used to them or would i just be wasting the servings?

Supplements are to supplement a diet/nutrition plan. If you need the protein to hit your daily caloric/macro goals then take them on your off days. If your diet plan doesn't require them then no. Typically people on here recommend ~1g of protein/lb of LBM or bodyweight. So if you weigh 160lbs and your diet calls for 160g of protein, and you get plenty without the supplements then there is no need to take them. If you are not getting enough protein then take them. Remember, you heal while you rest, not while in the gym.