PDA

View Full Version : Viking Press and other grappler related non-sense

Clifford Gillmore
09-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Not a common exercise AT ALL, but something I was thinking about today as I removed a 50lbs loin from the biggest chopper pig you have ever seen in your life.

We have a new Torsonator/Grappler at the gym, its basically a fixed base that you can attached 2 olympic barbells too - the base is fixed and the cradle allows the bars to pivot from a fixed position. NOW;

All the guys at the gym have used it for is plate choppers/twists, and they REALLY struggled with it - a new guy just about killed himself with one handle (I've used two fat bars comfortably). So I got to thinking about it, I could use it for a Viking Press, renegade rows, piston presses, side laterals, scare-crows (to a degree). But anyway; what kind of exercises could I do with this interesting little tool? Should I use it for the day I actually deload? Could I even find a ME movement to do with it?

_Yvko69jnug

Its going to ****ing suck for anyone that asks me for personal training.

vdizenzo
09-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Never really liked the grappler. Actually, I don't like two different moving parts of apparatus, that's why I hardly ever use dumbells. However, I do love viking presses. Your post reminded me of a lift I did years ago http://www.ironscene.com/videos/49_vincent_dizenzo_590lb_viking_press

Tom Mutaffis
09-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Vincent - was that video in the "strength feat compilation" on Youtube?

It looks familiar... that is an amazing amount of weight for a viking press.

vdizenzo
09-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Vincent - was that video in the "strength feat compilation" on Youtube?

It looks familiar... that is an amazing amount of weight for a viking press.

Yeah, I did it a while ago. It made its rounds. I used to train with some strongmen a few years ago. There were some unsanctioned strongman competitions here in New England. The guy paid good cash prizes too. I came in second two years in a row. Once to Schoonveld and the other to Bryant. It's too bad the guy stopped holding them. I kept making good improvements.

Tom Mutaffis
09-21-2009, 08:09 PM
I could see the rotational stuff and the rows being beneficial. Just make sure to have someone stand on the base of it if you are going to go heavy on the rows - we tried simulating a car deadlift with the grappler and loaded it up then the base buckled over when one of the guys stood up with the weight (probably should have had it bolted down or something).

Clifford Gillmore
09-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Vincent, it was actually your video of the Viking Press that got me thinking about it. I saw the same video that Tom mentioned when I first started strength training, very motivational.

Tom; Our base will be bolted down at some point, but good observation!