PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a gym in NW ohio...

OGROK
09-21-2009, 03:05 PM
I'd like to get into PL equipment like bench shirts, etc... but I don't have anyone around me that really knows the gear. There are a couple powerlifters here but they have weird schedules and I don't see them very often. I don't really trust the bros at the local commercial "hardcore" gym (which recently sold their monolift) not to drop the weight on my face. Plus the equipment is pretty limited. I'm looking for any kind of powerlifting gym in northwest Ohio. Sort of like the Toledo area. It's weird being in the powerlifting capital of the USA and not being able to find a decent gym. I go to school at Bowling Green. If anybody knows anything let me know. Thanks.

Travis Bell
09-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Look up Detroit Barbell, the shouldn't be more than an hour or so from you

I'm in Wayne County, but that's like 2+hrs from you LOL

The only gym that I'm vaguely aware of in Toledo itself is Spurlings Iron Basement

His email is aspurling@paycor.com

I'm not sure if the gym is still around or not, but it's worth a try.

geoffsherman
09-21-2009, 04:31 PM
There are a few great places nearby:
One is at the corner of Reynolds and Central. It used to be a strange tennis facility, but they have more than you will ever need.

OGROK
09-21-2009, 05:29 PM
One is at the corner of Reynolds and Central. It used to be a strange tennis facility, but they have more than you will ever need.

Cool. You know the name of the place?

The only gym that I'm vaguely aware of in Toledo itself is Spurlings Iron Basement

His email is aspurling@paycor.com

I'm not sure if the gym is still around or not, but it's worth a try.

Yeah his number is disconnected or some ****, seems like the place is gone.

Bob
09-21-2009, 06:21 PM
I don't know cities in Ohio that well.. but have you been thru this list of PL gyms on PLWatch? http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4420

ADC ValleyView OH
Blackstone's Gym West Lafayette OH
Canal Street Barbell Nelsonville OH
Circleville Barbell Circleville OH
Eaton Barbell Club Eaton OH
Estep's Gym Wellston OH
Gorilla Pit Mentor OH
Gritter's barn OH
Headhunter Barbell Akron OH
Iron Chamber Gym Canton OH
Iron House Gym Zanesville OH
Kings Gym Bedford Heights OH
Lexen Extreme grove city OH
Martins Ferry Recreation Center Martins Ferry OH
Old School Gym Etna OH
Powerhouse Gym Toledo OH
Powerhouse Gym Toledo OH
Powerstation Gym Middletown OH
Samson Gym Hamilton OH
Slaughterhouse Gym Louisville OH
Spurling's Iron Basement Toledo OH
Steel Valley 24-Hour Fitness Struthers OH
Synergy Sports and Fitness Toledo OH
The Bodybuilder's Gym Akron OH
Wayne's Fitness One Hamilton OH
Westside Barbell Club Columbus OH
Zephyrs Barbell Gym Smithville OH

OGROK
09-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Yeah man the only one within like 2 hours of here on that list is Spurlings, but it doesn't exist... Checked Detroit Barbell, that's an hour away. I'll have to check out this Toledo gym on Reynolds, dunno the name or anything but I'll go into the city and poke around for it I guess.

douglasoh5
09-21-2009, 07:46 PM
how far are you from muncie indiana?

jthomas
09-21-2009, 08:05 PM
I own and operate Detroit Barbell. If you have any questions shoot me a PM and I can give you my cell. We're about 1 hour from Bowling Green, but we have people come up 2-3 times a week from Toledo and further in the Detroit area to our gym. It will be worth it I guarentee it

JJ Thomas

HICK
09-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Come lift with us on Sundays at MUSCLE HEADS GYM in Celina , Ohio we train maximum effort bench every Sunday morning at 9am and Mike Wolfe is our coach.

OGROK
09-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Alright JThomas I sent you a PM... Seems like that's the closest powerlifting gym. I checked the Celina one and somehow that's an extra 30 minutes of driving even though it seems like it would be closer. I couldn't find the address for Muscle Heads so I'm not totally sure but it seems that way. HICK do you have the address for the place, man? I might want to stop by.

blownby
09-22-2009, 07:30 AM
I know of 2-3 in the Toledo, Bowling green area. I lift at 2 of them off & on as well. The BG one will be right up your alley as it is like 5 mins from campus.

I train with some of the top benchers in the USAPL as well.

Plus i know a few up in MI as well. Not very often we trek up there but when we do it is well worth that too.

blownby
09-22-2009, 07:31 AM

That was Synergy....no longer there but was more geared to High school athletics & olympic style lifting. It has moved to one of the old Powerhouses i believe.

blownby
09-22-2009, 07:33 AM
Btw....i'll be in BG today 3:30-5 if you want to stop by. PM me

bencher8
09-22-2009, 07:36 AM
My advice is to go to Detroit Barbell. I have had to travel an hour or more for almost every gym I have trained at. traveling to DBB will be well worth the time involved. A LOT of knowledge floating around in there.

geoffsherman
09-22-2009, 02:01 PM
That was Synergy....no longer there but was more geared to High school athletics & olympic style lifting. It has moved to one of the old Powerhouses i believe.

That was the name. I used it when I was home in March and it had more than everything you would need. It even had Sorinex things like the Back ATtack which is always impressive.

HICK
09-22-2009, 06:57 PM
MUSCLEHEADS GYM is located on 564 Touvelle Street Celina , Ohio 45822 . Usually first timers r free then its only $5 after that . Come check us out .

KarstenDD
09-22-2009, 08:55 PM
If you think 1 hour is too far away to train, you should reconsider what you're doing.

Lewy23
09-23-2009, 12:53 PM
You're more than welcome at Headhunter Barbell. I train there an we love new blood.

gotorightway123
09-23-2009, 01:02 PM

OGROK
09-23-2009, 01:04 PM
You're more than welcome at Headhunter Barbell. I train there an we love new blood.

Yeah I'm actually from Akron so next time I'm up that way I'll def think about paying you guys a visit.

And everyone else, thanks for the help. I think I might head up to Detroit Barbell on the weekends, the drive is definitely worth it.

jthomas
09-24-2009, 04:39 AM
OGROK, you have a PM

JJ Thomas

OGROK
09-24-2009, 05:02 AM
Yeah man, sent you one back... Should I buy the shirt first or stop by this weekend anyways?

jthomas
09-24-2009, 06:54 PM
come on by this weekend, but I think we may be benching on sunday. Give me a call sometime tomorrow afternoon and we can talk.

JJ Thomas
734-642-7877