PDA

View Full Version : Calorie Help for Cutting.

T3hNick
09-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Im 18 years old 5'8'' 168lbs roughly 14-16% BF. I was 191lbs almost 30%BF back in April. After losing the weight i am now stuck cause my calorie maintenance levels and exercise regime is different. How many calories should i take in per day? Im looking to get to 157-160lbs 10% BF. I lift pretty hard 4-6x a week and do about 20 mins HIIT 3-4x a week burning about 200-300 calories. Thanks for all the help.

Also would you recommend i stay low carbs? Im getting now about 75g per day, protein is almost 200g and fat is moderate around 35-50g.

sharkall2003
09-22-2009, 12:17 PM
There is a set of processes that you need to go through:

1. Determine your maintenance calorie needs at they weight you are currently.

2. Determine how you want to diet to meet those needs. Do you want low carbs and high fats, or high carbs low fats. Generally, on the board there are two things we recommend. 1 gram of protein/lb body weight and .5 grams fat per lb body weight. If you don't want to do that then you should look at 30% of your calories coming from fat, ~30% from protein, 40% from carbohydrates.

3. If you are trying to lose weight subtract 500 calories from your maintenance calories while keeping the above ratios for your diet. Or you can do it by grams. Your choice.

4. Continue on this path until you reach your desired weight.

T3hNick
09-22-2009, 12:30 PM
There is a set of processes that you need to go through:

1. Determine your maintenance calorie needs at they weight you are currently.

2. Determine how you want to diet to meet those needs. Do you want low carbs and high fats, or high carbs low fats. Generally, on the board there are two things we recommend. 1 gram of protein/lb body weight and .5 grams fat per lb body weight. If you don't want to do that then you should look at 30% of your calories coming from fat, ~30% from protein, 40% from carbohydrates.

3. If you are trying to lose weight subtract 500 calories from your maintenance calories while keeping the above ratios for your diet. Or you can do it by grams. Your choice.

4. Continue on this path until you reach your desired weight.

How do i go about finding my maintenance calories right now? If i can find that out i get the rest of your post. Thanks

sharkall2003
09-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Based on the information you gave, and assuming your no longer losing weight it would be calculated as:

75 carbs x 4grams/carb= 300 cals
200 protein x 4 grams/protein= 800 cals
50 fat x 9grams/fat= 450 cals

That only equals 1550 calories. If you're looking to lose weight I would suggest not starving your body. Try going up an additional 500 calories per day. The extra calories might speed up your metabolism.

Unreal
09-22-2009, 02:13 PM
You measure how many calories you take and your weight and see what happens. If your eating 1500 a day and not losing then that is your maintence. That being said if that is your maintence then you need to take a break for ~2 weeks or so and let your metabolism reset because it is messed up.

T3hNick
09-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Based on the information you gave, and assuming your no longer losing weight it would be calculated as:

75 carbs x 4grams/carb= 300 cals
200 protein x 4 grams/protein= 800 cals
50 fat x 9grams/fat= 450 cals

That only equals 1550 calories. If you're looking to lose weight I would suggest not starving your body. Try going up an additional 500 calories per day. The extra calories might speed up your metabolism.

I might bump to 1800-2000 and just work my ass off.

You measure how many calories you take and your weight and see what happens. If your eating 1500 a day and not losing then that is your maintence. That being said if that is your maintence then you need to take a break for ~2 weeks or so and let your metabolism reset because it is messed up.

I agree 1500 seems real low.

greemah
09-22-2009, 10:28 PM
so if youve been cutting and got down to that level of calories, you can continue to loose weight by upping the calories??