PDA

View Full Version : fat cells shrink?

peatr99
09-22-2009, 12:40 PM
I thought I was pretty smart and you'd think I'd know but this one has me stumped.

Someone just told me that their trainer said that fat cells don't decrease in number, they only shrink in size. Googling only came up with several pages supporting this assertion. My initial reaction was that this is a bunch of BS.

Mercuryblade
09-22-2009, 12:49 PM
I thought I was pretty smart and you'd think I'd know but this one has me stumped.

Someone just told me that their trainer said that fat cells don't decrease in number, they only shrink in size. Googling only came up with several pages supporting this assertion. My initial reaction was that this is a bunch of BS.

It's under debate. It seems the general trend is that when we gain or lose weight fat cells shrink and grow accordingly, but there is data that suggests fat cells can increase or decrease in number.

heathj
09-22-2009, 01:13 PM
correct. this is why it is so easy for morbidly obese people to gain weight back after weight loss. this is also why it is important to instill good eating habits in children so they do not increase the number of fat cells, making it easier to gain weight later in life.

SDS
09-22-2009, 03:22 PM
I think I read that they only shrink and expand in one of Lyle McD's books.

RichMcGuire
09-23-2009, 05:49 PM
As it stands now, fat cells only shrink.

Clone
09-23-2009, 09:35 PM
From what I've read fat cells are determined at a young age, and only shrink and grow.

Their #s don't change.

SDS
09-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Does that mean if you get lipo you can never get fat again? Or you just get really fat really fast someplace else?

VikingWarlord
09-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Actually, I remember seeing somewhere that your body can produce new fat cells but it can not remove them. The logic was something along the lines of since you needed them at one point, your body believes you very well might need them again and, since they're already there, just leave them. If they're empty, they take no energy to maintain.

Holto
09-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Fat cells shrink and grow, and can increase in number (hyperplasia). This is form Brad Kings fat wars (not sure if this is out of date now) Someone post a link if new data has come to light?

Physics is still king. Even though you may have extra fat cells, the body can only store energy if it doesn't burn it & vice versa. So having extra cells does not make it easier to gain, or harder to lose. Plus we can shrink our fat cells down to nearly nothing.

sharkall2003
09-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Holto: are you saying that we NEVER lose fat cells. Or do we lose so few of them that it's just considered shrinkage?

Holto
09-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah we never lose fat cells, but that is not a detriment to those that want abs etc. because we can shrink them down to nothing. Look at built, she was quite big at one point and now you can see her Serratus Anterior.

VikingWarlord
09-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Just for accuracy, it might need to be mentioned that liposuction removes fat cells, it does not empty them.

Auburn
09-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Yes, you can increase fat cell number after puberty once you've filled your current fat cells. Otherwise, you'd die quite quickly. The problem with getting really fat and then losing weight is that adipose is a very hormonally active tissue, and when fat cells are emptied leptin signaling goes to hell. That's why it's probably a good idea for morbidly obese people to go with liposuction at some point after their weight loss. That's also why inducing adipose apoptosis without killing the person is the holy grail in the supplement/pharmaceutical world.

Holto
09-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Yes, you can increase fat cell number after puberty once you've filled your current fat cells. Otherwise, you'd die quite quickly. The problem with getting really fat and then losing weight is that adipose is a very hormonally active tissue, and when fat cells are emptied leptin signaling goes to hell. That's why it's probably a good idea for morbidly obese people to go with liposuction at some point after their weight loss. That's also why inducing adipose apoptosis without killing the person is the holy grail in the supplement/pharmaceutical world.

How does a fat cell become full?

My understanding is that chronic and/or rapid weight gain causes the hyperplasia.

Auburn
09-25-2009, 03:43 PM
Full = such a level of adipocyte hypertrophy that the cell can physically hold no more lipid

In those cases, preadipocytes differentiate into normal adipocytes. Or, hyperplasia.

The dogma used to be it only happened in puberty and pregnancy, then we discovered it was possible in cases of obesity, now there is some evidence other environmental factors influencing differentiation as well (viral theories being one).

JSully
09-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Actually, I remember seeing somewhere that your body can produce new fat cells but it can not remove them. The logic was something along the lines of since you needed them at one point, your body believes you very well might need them again and, since they're already there, just leave them. If they're empty, they take no energy to maintain.
I read this as well.. It was in Lyle McDs stubborn fat book..

VikingWarlord
09-25-2009, 06:24 PM
I read this as well.. It was in Lyle McDs stubborn fat book..

It was in there, wasn't it? I was thinking it was somewhere else but that's probably it. I've only read that book about 126 times.