PDA

View Full Version : Weightlifting Belt

LuNa
09-23-2009, 06:13 AM
Im looking into buying a weightlifting belt. I feel that it could provide me with a bit more security on my Squat, Deadlift and OH Press. However, i do have a couple of questions:

Do you think i should keep training without a belt seeing as i have only been training for five months. My current numbers are (in pounds), however i am pretty sure they will be higher in a couple weeks:
Squat: 264x5
Deadlift: 365x5
OH Press: 110x5

I was looking at a lever belt. Risk here said that it was easier to get it tighter by yourself. What is your take on this?

Last, i was looking at a Titan Toro lever belt. (http://www.titansupport.com/products/toro-belts/lever-belts/toro-lever-belt.html) Do you think this is a good option to begin with? I noticed it is 4 inches wide which i understood to be the normal width of a belt.

Also, instructions on the use of a belt, tightness etc. would be helpful.

Thanks!

slashkills
09-23-2009, 06:35 AM
Using a belt would be fine. I recommend using when your sets start getting closer to your max. If you use it all of the time your core will get weaker. As for the tightness of the belt, find what you are comfortable with. I like to crank it down all the way and others like to keep it a little loose to push their stomach into it. Nice numbers also considering you have only been training for five months.

Brian Hopper
09-23-2009, 08:08 AM
I don't use a belt until I get close to a max. For all 3 of my geared lifts I use a lever belt and I love it. The only thing I hate is when I have to adjust it. As far as tightness goes, I think it comes down to being comfortable.

Jay1
09-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Like most, I don't put the belt on until the weight gets heavy. I switched to lever belts because they're much easier to get tight, especially with gear on. I also have a Toro bench belt. They are pretty nice belts.

Pete22
09-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Single-prong 10mm Inzer Forever Belt. It'll last you a lifetime. Easy to adjust and fairly comfortable once broken in.

Ambre
09-23-2009, 09:08 AM
I have a single prong Inzer Forever belt also. My weight fluctuates too much to hassle with the lever belts. I can get it cranked pretty tight with my training partners help.

Lones Green
09-23-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm into the single prong buckle as well. I like my belt much tighter when I bench than when I squat or pull, so its a lot easier to adjust in that sense. If I was a bench only guy I'd probably get a lever belt, it'd be a lot easier

KarlMarx
09-23-2009, 10:47 AM
The Inzer Forever belt is great. The one's from APT have been just fine for me too. However, if you are over 200lbs I would recommend the 13mm or 12mm belt. People under 200lbs seem to find them too stiff in my experience while those larger like/need the extra support. That being said, its all a matter of personal preference. And its really hard to tell what belt you'd like quickly because they take a pretty long time to completely break in. A buddy of mine that I lift with 4 days a week just announced, after a year, that he thought his belt was completely broken in...

Morgan McPherson
09-23-2009, 12:02 PM
I go with the Inzer lever belt. Great design and function. I find I really need a bench belt that will hold the shirt in place. Because I don't want to crank it shut like I do when I am squatting. Simply too much pressure to close it when DL or Benching. I have heard that the Titan belts are not that great. Don't know if that is true, but the Inzer are supposed to be better.

Justin R
09-23-2009, 12:30 PM
I recently got an APT 11mm single prong belt. I usually wear it on my last 3 or 4 singles on ME days and I'm loving it so far. The buckle on it is nice, I have no problems getting it as tight as you could ever need.

Andre518
09-23-2009, 01:37 PM
I just got an APT belt a few months ago and love it. I use it when I get around 85% or higher of my max. The belt has helped a lot. I think APT is a great company and will be using them a lot in the future. I just got my singlet from them as well. This is belt I am using:
http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/87153

SEOINAGE
09-23-2009, 01:53 PM
I have an inzer lever belt, its great for squatting, but the tightness I have it for squatting is a little loose for deadlifts, makes it want to move around, I gained a little weight recently so now it is tight enough for deadlifts but soon I will have to make it a little larger. I've been tempted to buy another belt for deadlifting but for now my lever belt works just fine.

KarlMarx
09-23-2009, 01:55 PM
I just got an APT belt a few months ago and love it. I use it when I get around 85% or higher of my max. The belt has helped a lot. I think APT is a great company and will be using them a lot in the future. I just got my singlet from them as well. This is belt I am using:

Nice belt. I got this one because some of the stitching was messed up and I got like 40% off. http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/87172
My wife got this one and loves it: http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/153108. I think in someways she made a smart choice. The ones with white or grey on the inside of the power belt are much less likely to bleed color into your workout shirts (if you care, like she does)! On days when I sweat alot and have the belt on alot some maroon bleeds onto my shirts although it has never stained. It always came out in the wash.

Justin R
09-23-2009, 02:00 PM

That is the same belt I have, great belt. Is yours double or single prong? Mine was pictured as a double but came single, which is what I prefer anyhow.

gotorightway123
09-23-2009, 02:04 PM
like my belt much tighter when I bench than when I squat or pull, so its a lot easier to adjust in that sense.

=Travis=
09-23-2009, 02:53 PM
I use this: http://www.bobsbelts.com/belts.htm
They're custom jobs.

LuNa
09-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks for all the information guys. The only problem i have now is that Inzer does not have a distributor in Australia. This would mean that there is probably a big difference in prize between the Inzer belt and the Titan belt. Do you think this would still be justified by the difference in quality?

Andre518
09-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Nice belt. I got this one because some of the stitching was messed up and I got like 40% off. http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/87172
My wife got this one and loves it: http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/153108. I think in someways she made a smart choice. The ones with white or grey on the inside of the power belt are much less likely to bleed color into your workout shirts (if you care, like she does)! On days when I sweat alot and have the belt on alot some maroon bleeds onto my shirts although it has never stained. It always came out in the wash.

The maroon one is the one I was gonna get but it was out of stock when I ordered. APT is a brand and really fits my budget.

That is the same belt I have, great belt. Is yours double or single prong? Mine was pictured as a double but came single, which is what I prefer anyhow.

I had the same thing happen. The pic was double but I got a single. I contacted APT and they said that it was an old picture and I could send it back for a different double prong belt if I wanted too. But I opted to keep the single and I love it.

Judas
09-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Wow... i'm starting to think i'm on the wrong forum. I cant agree with anyone on anything here....

For what its worth, i'd put off trying the belt as long as you can. It is a (oh i'll get **** for this...) a crutch. Yes, it has its uses, and yes, a LOT ov very good lifters use one, but you dont NEED it (using it as part ov a geared lift is a different animal however, i'm talking raw), especially now. I always figured i'd try the belt when i hit 3 plates in my squat, or 4 in the dead. That day came and i didn't see the need. So i figured, when i'm working with four plates, i'll try it. Still didn't see the need. Okay... when i hit five plates, i'll try a belt. Well, i've passed that in both lower body lifts, and no need for a belt in sight. I dont think i'll even bother. I'll tell you one thing, you build one hell ov a core working heavy without a belt.

There are world champion olympic lifters who still dont wear a belt, and that is as demanding on the core as a bad car accident. So if they dont need one, neither do i, nor do you. BUT... having said this, the absolute KEY to making this work is to never ever try one out. Once you get used to that support, its near impossible to do without it and still do the same work. So far i've never known ov an experienced lifter who uses a belt ever being able to lift what they could with one, without it.

theBarzeen
09-26-2009, 08:36 PM
I loved my lever belt until I started getting in to heavier squat gear.... now I can't use the same size belt raw as I do geared..... if you compete raw then a lever is nice...... but if yu compete geared or if your weight fluctuates the pronged belts are easier.....

either way

I just got in my wife and my belts from bobs belts..... I almost cried when I opened the box...... they're so... beautiful.... *sniff*

Meat_Head
09-27-2009, 06:32 AM
Wow... i'm starting to think i'm on the wrong forum. I cant agree with anyone on anything here....

BUT... having said this, the absolute KEY to making this work is to never ever try one out. Once you get used to that support, its near impossible to do without it and still do the same work. So far i've never known ov an experienced lifter who uses a belt ever being able to lift what they could with one, without it.

This is utter nonsense.

Tom Mutaffis
09-27-2009, 08:02 AM

I have this same belt in single prong except mine says "Strongman" on the back. They have ones that say powerlifter as well. Previously I did have one of the double prong APT's but I find that the single is much more convenient to get on/off.

So far I have had the belt for over a year and I love it. Another great thing is that it comes 'one size fits all' so it will always fit no matter what type of clothing/equipment you are wearing (or if you put on some size).

Judas
09-27-2009, 08:42 AM
This is utter nonsense.

How so?

Clifford Gillmore
09-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Hey Luna; Try Titan-australia.com.au for a belt, Ming is really fast with his shipping (2 day turn-around, often less). I think he only has the lever and a standard single prong, but they are both nice.

theBarzeen
09-27-2009, 09:23 PM
How so?

it's like saying that a squat suit is worthless because nobody can squat the same without one as they do with......

and really, even the 1,000,000% RAW!!!! guys use a belt........

Judas
09-28-2009, 04:43 AM
it's like saying that a squat suit is worthless because nobody can squat the same without one as they do with......

and really, even the 1,000,000% RAW!!!! guys use a belt........

What i was saying was you dont necessarily NEED a belt to lift big raw. Do they do something for those who are used to that support? obviously.

I dont take anything away from guys who use belts, never have. Its perfectly 'raw' to use a belt. And that post in question wasn't about that anyways. Taken in context, i meant IF you want to go beltless and stay beltless (read: become one ov those raw beasts that squat and pull over 5-600lbs without a belt) then it is counter-productive to put one on at any time.

Put another way, lifters that started with a belt, then down the road decided for whatever reason they didn't want to use one and started training without, never seem to be able to hit the same numbers they did with one. At the same time, i can put the best Inzer belt on, sized and worn perfectly and not gain a single pound on any lift from using it. I've seen others like this too... provided they never got used to wearing one.

Its pretty simple. Everyone else here is trying to sell this guy a belt, i dont care either way, but he needs to know there IS an option.

Meat_Head
09-28-2009, 04:10 PM
IF you want to go beltless and stay beltless (read: become one ov those raw beasts that squat and pull over 5-600lbs without a belt) then it is counter-productive to put one on at any time.

Again, this just isn't true. A belt can be a great tool in helping you achieve those goals.

Put another way, lifters that started with a belt, then down the road decided for whatever reason they didn't want to use one and started training without, never seem to be able to hit the same numbers they did with one.

A properly used belt allows you to move more weight in heavy pulls and squats. You're supposed to move more in a belt than you do without it.

At the same time, i can put the best Inzer belt on, sized and worn perfectly and not gain a single pound on any lift from using it.

This is because you do not know how to use a weight belt.

Judas
09-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Again, this just isn't true. A belt can be a great tool in helping you achieve those goals.

A properly used belt allows you to move more weight in heavy pulls and squats. You're supposed to move more in a belt than you do without it.

This is because you do not know how to use a weight belt.

Yes, it CAN be a good tool, but it doesn't HAVE TO.

There are lifters out there who'd rather not use any outside support. Believe it. And there are lfters out there with strong enough cores that it just doesn't help. Seems to be hard for a guy who trains with a belt to see that, but its real, trust me.

I dont know how to use a belt? Read my post.