PDA

View Full Version : Input on declining shoulder press

huskybear
09-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Hey folks...

I've been finding through the last few cycles of training that my shoulder strength has been on the decline... I've been using the 5/3/1 method and seems as though it just doesn't want to go up.

My shoulders have always been healthy, but now they seem to just feel tired and weak. This was also been impacting my dips, as my dips have gone backwards, feel weak in the shoulders during the movement, and I've started to feel instability. I also do floor press with a close-grip to finish, and have found my shoulders are fine here.

On my bench day, I do my bench and then an incline db press for accessory and seem to be fine.

Any suggestions that anyone can offer? Should I sub out military press for something else?

On my deload week I did incline barbell press that seemed to really push my chest and tri's and was thinking of switching to this from incline db, should this make any difference.

I've done some search stuff, but I seem to be search-dumb here lately.

any and all help appreciated as always!

Guido
09-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Maybe you've just been doing the same movement too long and are getting burned out on them. Try something different like DB shoulder presses or something similar.

huskybear
09-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Maybe you've just been doing the same movement too long and are getting burned out on them. Try something different like DB shoulder presses or something similar.

Thanks Guido... I been toying with 2 ideas... seated db's... or changing completely to power cleans... good idea

Barbaccio
09-23-2009, 12:25 PM
How many days a week are you training? If you're training 4 days it may be your shoulders can't handle the Military and Bench in the same week all the time. Pull it back to 3 days a week and let the rotation help give you time to recover. If you still want to be in the gym 4 days add in a big cardio day or a very light accessory only day where it's all small movements for 12+ reps.

NickAus
09-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Sounds like your shoulders are overtrained, it's pretty easy to overtrain them as they get lots of work from pressing and pulling.
Squats also wear on your shoulders.

allan3
09-23-2009, 06:00 PM
id say give the shoulders more rest + recovery time.

huskybear
09-24-2009, 08:37 AM
i'm training just 3 times a week... what would be a good movement to switch to then for a good break? are the power cleans a good idea?

vdizenzo
09-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Dumbell hang clean and presess are a fun alternative.

huskybear
09-25-2009, 12:31 AM
thanks very much guys for the help... will give the military press a pass for the next while, and think I'll give the DB hang clean and press a go, or at least the hang clean part... much appreciated as always folks!!!!!!!