PDA

View Full Version : flaxseed and estrogen...

xzioptix
04-24-2002, 08:39 PM
Hi everyone,

I just did a search on flaxseed and estrogen and only picked up one thread regarding pregnancy.

I recently purchesed 32oz of flaxseed oil from the Protein Factory and was totally psyched to add this to my supplement regime (i'm cutting right now..) until my father told me that he heard there is a connection between the lignans in flaxseed and estrogen.

Is there any truth to this? I know EFA's are very important, and that many bodybuilders reccomend flax .. is this new info, or is it bs?

thanks!

Budiak
04-24-2002, 09:21 PM
Flax seeds contain over a hundred times more of a phytonutrient, known as lignin, than any of its closest competitors, such as wheat bran, buckwheat, rye, millet, oats, and soybeans. Lignins have received a lot of attention lately because of possible anti-cancer properties, especially in relation to breast and colon cancer. Lignins seem to flush excess estrogen out of the body, thereby reducing the incidence of estrogen-linked cancers, such as breast cancer. Besides anti-tumor properties, lignins also seem to have antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties.

from http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T041700.asp

Flax bread contains both linolenic acid (an omega-3 type polyunsaturated fatty acid) and often contains those cool "lignan" phytochemicals that combat estrogen. I personally eat two to three sandwiches a day with my clothes on.

Thats from an article in T-mag online.

It is apparent that the lignans in flax combat high estrogen levels. I dont exactly know what estrogen does besides make chicks mad at me, but take that info and do what you like.

Just dont touch my stash.

xzioptix
04-25-2002, 04:44 AM
well combating high e levels is definitely better than raising e levels (as my father suggested...) ..

ok, now I'm a bit more psyched about my purchase. =)

thanks bro.

Logo
04-25-2002, 06:22 AM
estrogen is EVIL! It kills women's sex drives, it makes them go crazy, and it will make you FAT!

xzioptix
04-25-2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Logo
estrogen is EVIL! It kills women's sex drives, it makes them go crazy, and it will make you FAT!

well, yeah.. women may get a bit crazy at times..

but I'm not too sure that estrogen is "evil".. I don't want to completely eliminate all of it (not that it is possible without real drugs).. I've heard numerous times that a bit is needed for overall health of a man as well as maximal muscle potential.

I just don't want to have too much... I'm not taking any ph or juice right now, so just keeping my natural levels without raising them should be enough, I hope.

I dunno, maybe lowering them a bit will tighten me up.. I have been trying M from biotest, but with a bf % of 20 or so, I don't think I'd notice a difference in regards to "tightening up"...