PDA

View Full Version : Gaining too much weight while bulking?

Girn26
09-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Hi there, i started weight lifting on july 20th and it is now sept 24th in this time i have gone from 5'10 150lb to 170lb (10lb a month) now ive gained fat of course.. my belly has gotten bigger and so have my love handles.. also a couple of people have noticed my face getting fatter.. even tho i dont notice it in the mirror.. but do you think that is too much weight gain? I was reading this article the other day that said you can only gain 1.5-2lb of muscle in a month and any other weight you gain will be fat.. so that means ive put on roughly 16lb fat, 4lb of muscle.. do you think i should slow down my weight gain to roughly 5-6lb a month? i dont want to become a fat ass.. even tho im not right now.. here is the article i was talking about.. http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_truth_about_bulking

tom183
09-24-2009, 11:43 PM
If you're not liking what you see in the mirror then yes, cut calories and clean up your diet a little if possible.

How many calories above maintenance are you currently eating per day?

Girn26
09-24-2009, 11:51 PM
i honestly have no clue.. i eat roughly 3800 each day.. i eat the same **** everyday for the last 2 months! still havent gotten sick of it.. haha.. but on same days i stay up longer or i work late so i add in another snack if i stay up more then 3 hours then I usually would on a day off.. so i dont know for sure how many calories on those days but i add roughly 300 calories.. im eating clean no junk food, no pop, no candy etc

Polish Hammer
09-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Hi there, i started weight lifting on july 20th and it is now sept 24th in this time i have gone from 5'10 150lb to 170lb (10lb a month) now ive gained fat of course.. my belly has gotten bigger and so have my love handles.. also a couple of people have noticed my face getting fatter.. even tho i dont notice it in the mirror.. but do you think that is too much weight gain? I was reading this article the other day that said you can only gain 1.5-2lb of muscle in a month and any other weight you gain will be fat.. so that means ive put on roughly 16lb fat, 4lb of muscle.. do you think i should slow down my weight gain to roughly 5-6lb a month? i dont want to become a fat ass.. even tho im not right now.. here is the article i was talking about.. http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_truth_about_bulking

Dude, of course your stomach and face are gonna bloat when you bulk. Thats part of the deal. The question is, are you dedicated enough to put on the size that trivial things like that wont bother you? The excess weight allows you to handle more poundages. If your on a true bulk and still using the mirror as a guide, then youve lost the battle. And FYI, if your a male, dont use the term "love handles". Unless someone is actually using them as "handles"..Hear what Im sayin?

Girn26
09-25-2009, 10:54 AM
what im trying to ask is, is 8-10lb a month too much to be gaining? If anyone here has done a bulk what do you try to gain each month?

Alyion
09-25-2009, 11:19 AM
Echoing Polish Hammer here - fat is a sad fact of bulking. You will gain fat when bulking, just realise its temporary and far easier to lose than building muscle - based on your stats and post I assume this is your first bulk - use this time to gain some solid strength and muscle and worry about losing the fat later.

Girn26
09-25-2009, 11:21 AM
alright well ill slow it down a bit, because on that link it says to gain 25 pounds in 6 months.. and ive almost gained that already

Polish Hammer
09-25-2009, 01:25 PM
alright well ill slow it down a bit, because on that link it says to gain 25 pounds in 6 months.. and ive almost gained that already

I dont understand what your asking here. You want someone else to tell you if youve gained too much weight? Or too fast? Its your body bro.If you feel stronger than before and want to stay at your current weight, then maintain. If you want to get bigger still, then eat more and lift heavier. Whether its too much is your decisioin. If you get so sloppy that cutting will be a problem, then back off. I can tell you this, 2lbs of muscle a month is tough if your training without drugs. 5-7 solid lbs a year is a good gain.

Unreal
09-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Anything more then 1lb a week and your going to be packing on a lot of fat IMO. Without drugs I wouldn't go over 1lb a week.

Aslin
09-25-2009, 03:38 PM
I agree with unreal, you want to shoot for 1lb a week, 2lb if you want to go dirty, but i wouldnt do it for long because i've heard eating too much will dull the insulin spike you get Pwo.....

But tbh i've bulked and stayed the same weight, i was eating loads and people were saying i was getting more muscular, i stayed at about 195lbs but gained muscle while the fat melted away. Newbie gains i suppose but i've been lifting real regularly for 5 years now and i can say its possible.

I'm 205lbs now and fatter, but its cool, i know i've got more muscle now than ever, i'm gonna not worry about putting on any more weight and just concentrate on improving my lifts, aslong as i'm getting stronger, i'm gaining muscle.

Hence the way i train is to not worry about weight gain, but improving lifts. Oh and maybe taking a picture of yourself once and a while to compare gains will help too, but pictures can be missleading....

1 more thing - its far easier for people under 25 to gain mass, its also far easier for people under 25 to lose BF.

LuNa
09-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Isnt this topic similar:
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127968

"Too much" depends entirely on you. If you like what you see keep going, if you dont then change.

Also, 2lbs a month is not tough if you are a beginner, which imo the OP is. 1lbs a week is fine to aim for.

snikez
09-26-2009, 05:35 PM
try to go for a pound a week when bulking and losing a pound a week when cutting