PDA

View Full Version : Kroc's log

Polish Hammer
09-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Anyone read Kroc's log today over at Elite? Apparently in his new dvd, he drives a 3'' nail into his arm and pulls it out to demonstrate his ability to withstand pain! Is this for real? I mean,the guys a beast, but...

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=104719&tid=

Tom Mutaffis
09-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Hopefully kids out there don't read that and decide to go and start driving nails into their arms. It has nothing to do with powerlifting.

Andre518
09-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Nuts! I cant wait to check this DVD out.

Butcher
09-25-2009, 01:34 PM
He talked about doing that in an interview a year or two ago. Thats pretty crazy.

Tom Mutaffis
09-25-2009, 01:35 PM
I like Matt Krok and think that he is a great lifter, but this is pushing the limit. It is irresponsible for EFS and MuscleTech to be marketing something like that.

What's next? Light the squat bar on fire and then squat 800 lbs.

Powerlifting is gaining credibility with guys like Krok in the mainstream but stunts like that turn the sport into a circus.

Travis Bell
09-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Kroc is a pretty hardcore guy and has done exceptionally well for himself, but this one doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

To each his own though I guess. So long as nobody comes poking me with a nail I don't really care

Polish Hammer
09-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Hope he at least dips it in peroxide first.

Andre518
09-25-2009, 01:39 PM
I like Matt Krok and think that he is a great lifter, but this is pushing the limit. It is irresponsible for EFS and MuscleTech to be marketing something like that.

What's next? Light the squat bar on fire and then squat 800 lbs.

Powerlifting is gaining credibility with guys like Krok in the mainstream but stunts like that turn the sport into a circus.

I agree with you Tom. Kroc is one of my fav. lifters to check out and I think he has done a lot for the sport but like you said it is pretty irresponsible. All it takes is the wrong person to see it and there goes the image of the PL down the tube.

Schameson
09-25-2009, 01:50 PM
That's surreal. Good marketing though; I want to get the DVD just to see if he actually does it.

Pete22
09-25-2009, 02:05 PM
He talked about doing that in an interview a year or two ago. Thats pretty crazy.

Serious? I thought he was kidding... who knew. :scratch:

Pete22
09-25-2009, 02:06 PM

How are they marketing it? It's not like they're selling sterilized EFS nails and Muscle-Tech hammers. If Kroc wants to do that to himself, that's his business.

Edit: I think it comes down to Matt wanting to market himself this way. It's not like Dave Tate went up to him and said, "Matt, about the DVD, the DB rows are great, the deadlifting too... but we could really use you driving a 3" nail into your arm."

Lones Green
09-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Kroc is a pretty hardcore guy and has done exceptionally well for himself, but this one doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

To each his own though I guess. So long as nobody comes poking me with a nail I don't really care

*Thinks back to whiffle ball bat idea of yours*

joey54
09-25-2009, 03:36 PM
In the follow up he is going to wrestle Mankind in Hell in a Cell.

Travis Bell
09-25-2009, 04:21 PM
*Thinks back to whiffle ball bat idea of yours*

hahaha! I think that may have been one of my best ideas yet

SELK
09-25-2009, 06:50 PM
To build pain tolerance I just got my friend to kick me in the balls everyday for a month.

I hit a 4lbs PR and its waay less messy then nails.

Tom Mutaffis
09-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Krok has nothing on this guy...

Not sure why, but he laps a 300 lbs atlas stone then breaks a baseball bat over his head (trick starts at 4:00):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m1wFRBYpUe8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m1wFRBYpUe8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

johnnyo_99
09-26-2009, 05:25 PM
somehow i don't think it was done on purpose, maybe he got a nail lodged into his arm on accident and managed to get it on tape? kroc is a standup guy, good parent, works hard so i have a hard time thinking he would do this on purpose, or worse as a shock effect to sell the dvd..

Pete22
09-26-2009, 06:39 PM
somehow i don't think it was done on purpose, maybe he got a nail lodged into his arm on accident and managed to get it on tape? kroc is a standup guy, good parent, works hard so i have a hard time thinking he would do this on purpose, or worse as a shock effect to sell the dvd..

Nope. Turns out he's been doing it for a while.

Kroc:

I plan crazy things from time to time to keep myself mentally tough. This includes things like very difficult training sessions that lead to vomiting, and other methods of self-imposed pain to strengthen the mind. Probably the craziest thing I have done (and I donít recommend this) was to take a 3-4Ē long nail and drive it all the way into my arm with just my hands just to make myself withstand the pain. I dislike pain as much as anyone else but I have learned to be able to control it in most situations.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/kroc_files2.htm

widebody
09-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Oh...he's insane.

Cmanuel
09-27-2009, 10:23 PM
I read the title of this thread and thought it was going to be about his big 200 something pound log he carries around, boy was I wrong.
What a crazy dude, didn't realize he was a masochist too.
Isn't he an ex-navy seal or something ?

Lones Green
09-28-2009, 03:19 AM
I read the title of this thread and thought it was going to be about his big 200 something pound log he carries around, boy was I wrong.
What a crazy dude, didn't realize he was a masochist too.
Isn't he an ex-navy seal or something ?

I think he was a marine and did presidental security.

Judas
09-28-2009, 03:50 AM
Good marketing though; I want to get the DVD just to see if he actually does it.

Haha, bingo!

formerbencher
09-29-2009, 04:46 AM
i ve trained at matts house and have been to meets hes put on and have competed against him. mental toughness is what this is about for him. not speaking for him but i imagine his thought is if he can handle this type of pain there is no reason why he cant squat a given number or hold on to a deadlift. if it helps him mentally be able to lift more than so be it. and if others think it will work for them, let them try it, im sure it wont help others. to each his own, whats the difference between 22 gauge pin and a nail???

Travis Bell
09-29-2009, 07:50 AM
if it helps him mentally be able to lift more than so be it. and if others think it will work for them, let them try it, im sure it wont help others.

I see your point, but what if a 15 year old saw Kroc's dvd and decided to jab himself with a nail to try it?

whats the difference between 22 gauge pin and a nail???

LOL I can't speak from personal experience, but I would assume a LOT. One of the biggest being the risk of infection (needles are sanitized, nails, not so much)

If Kroc wants to do it, be my guest LOL, but putting it in a DVD might not be a good idea

given'er
09-29-2009, 09:06 AM
Krok has nothing on this guy...

Not sure why, but he laps a 300 lbs atlas stone then breaks a baseball bat over his head (trick starts at 4:00):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m1wFRBYpUe8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m1wFRBYpUe8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

WTF!!?? I'm no powerlifter but what was the point of this?

DGabe24
09-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Im wondering where you can drive a 3-4'' nail in your arm without doing any kind of tendon , cartilage, ligament, or muscular damage?? lol

Detard
09-29-2009, 09:57 AM
My guess is that this DVD isnt going to be strictly about powerlifting. If I remember correctly, he has talked in the past about his youth and some of the obstacles he has overcome. Seems like he will be doing this just to further his ideas about overcoming different things?

I dont really know, but i'm pretty excited to watch this either way.

Tom Mutaffis
09-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Kroc does have a good story.

His antics with the self mutulation are not something that I agree with promoting, but he is a very strong lifter and am sure that his video will include some impressive feats of strength.

Hopefully it actually provides some value in terms of training information and practices as well. I have noticed that from watching some of the bodybuilding videos online in many cases they are more like advertisements rather than something that you can actually gain any knowledge from.

Detard
09-29-2009, 04:02 PM
Kroc does have a good story.

His antics with the self mutulation are not something that I agree with promoting, but he is a very strong lifter and am sure that his video will include some impressive feats of strength.

Hopefully it actually provides some value in terms of training information and practices as well. I have noticed that from watching some of the bodybuilding videos online in many cases they are more like advertisements rather than something that you can actually gain any knowledge from.

I agree, I hope I will be able to learn something from watching it. I'm sure it will be entertaining either way

themavinator
10-01-2009, 09:16 AM
he used to be a marine and i've seen marines drive pins into different parts of their body as a training practice. Maybe they don't do it anymore but at least they used to.

Butcher
10-01-2009, 11:26 AM
What you saw was probably the result of hazing, drunken stupidity, or just bored stupidity. Self multilation is not any part of any military doctrine.

Dingus
10-01-2009, 07:52 PM
i ve trained at matts house and have been to meets hes put on and have competed against him. mental toughness is what this is about for him. not speaking for him but i imagine his thought is if he can handle this type of pain there is no reason why he cant squat a given number or hold on to a deadlift. if it helps him mentally be able to lift more than so be it. and if others think it will work for them, let them try it, im sure it wont help others. to each his own, whats the difference between 22 gauge pin and a nail???

What are you talking about, Kroc is a lifetime drug free lifter!

formerbencher
10-02-2009, 02:04 PM
What are you talking about, Kroc is a lifetime drug free lifter!

that was not directed towards matt, it was intended for others to self reflect upon their own actions, before they pass judgement on others

Dingus
10-02-2009, 04:23 PM
that was not directed towards matt, it was intended for others to self reflect upon their own actions, before they pass judgement on others

I was also joking.

SELK
10-02-2009, 10:10 PM
In honesty, someone driving a nail into their arm would turn me off from buying the video.

if I wanted to see **** like that, id watch the pain olympics.

robchris
10-03-2009, 10:38 PM
In honesty, someone driving a nail into their arm would turn me off from buying the video.

if I wanted to see **** like that, id watch the pain olympics.

Agreed... Or watch scared on MTV!

Done for the shock value i'm sure... Not very responsible on his part.