PDA

View Full Version : I have Olive oil and Whey protein together...

Aslin
09-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Ok for my morning shake it looks like this:

10egg whites with 30g whey
oats

but when i get in after work i have 15g olive oil mixed in with my protein shake? Is that a good idea?

Thx guys.

Wayward
09-25-2009, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't mix olive oil and a protein shake pre or post workout, but any other time I can't think of a reason it would matter.

JSully
09-25-2009, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't mix olive oil and a protein shake pre or post workout, but any other time I can't think of a reason it would matter.

+1

so long as it isn't pre or post workout you're good..

I do this quite often for breakfast. I normally down 10g fish oil as well..

vector18
09-25-2009, 08:40 PM
The olive oil has healthy fat in it and is good to take
in the morning. Like others have said, I wouldn't take it pre or post WO. I put a teaspoon in my morning protein
shake everyday. Than in the afternoon, I take my
fish oil. Flax is another good fat if you want to change things up.

tryinghard101
09-27-2009, 11:22 AM
i do this in the morring and my last shake be fore bed
i allso take fish oil and flaxseed through the day

vector18
09-27-2009, 07:09 PM
i do this in the morring and my last shake be fore bed
i allso take fish oil and flaxseed through the day

You should avoid digesting fat just before bed. Casein over
whey is your best choice. It digests slowly so it lasts
throughout the night.

Clifford Gillmore
09-28-2009, 01:10 AM

.Okay, unless you know what you are talking about - DO NOT post advice. PRE workout fat is FINE, a whole meal is perfectly acceptable. The POST workout window where your attempting to spike your insulin with CHO is when you attempt to avoid fat because of it being an inhibitor - but still, you have to down alot for it to have a drastic effect.

You should avoid digesting fat just before bed. Casein over
whey is your best choice. It digests slowly so it lasts
throughout the night.

YOU SHOULD NOT AVOID FAT BEFORE SLEEPING. A blend of proteins is your best choice, but don't overthink it too much.

Look, I'm all for sharing what you know - but you guys should really spend some time reading the articles here on WBB from Daniel Roberts, as well as picking up a couple of books of the subject matter. Mis-information is a huge downfall of the internet, don't perpetuate it.

LuNa
09-28-2009, 01:28 AM
Look, I'm all for sharing what you know - but you guys should really spend some time reading the articles here on WBB from Daniel Roberts, as well as picking up a couple of books of the subject matter. Mis-information is a huge downfall of the internet, don't perpetuate it.

Agreed.

Aslin
09-28-2009, 06:11 AM
.Okay, unless you know what you are talking about - DO NOT post advice. PRE workout fat is FINE, a whole meal is perfectly acceptable. The POST workout window where your attempting to spike your insulin with CHO is when you attempt to avoid fat because of it being an inhibitor - but still, you have to down alot for it to have a drastic effect.

YOU SHOULD NOT AVOID FAT BEFORE SLEEPING. A blend of proteins is your best choice, but don't overthink it too much.

I've heard a different oppinion, I dont take fat 2 hours before or after Working out because it dulls your glut4 receptors,

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1911044#post1911044

It was what built told me years ago, but she seems to be right with everything to do with nutrition, so i've taken her word for it.

Clifford Gillmore
09-28-2009, 11:41 AM
I've heard a different oppinion, I dont take fat 2 hours before or after Working out because it dulls your glut4 receptors,

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1911044#post1911044

It was what built told me years ago, but she seems to be right with everything to do with nutrition, so i've taken her word for it.

Mari-Ann did not refer to the workout window to be pre or post, but the post window is where most of the spiking is wanted. Since your eating every few hours your body stays in a positive nitrogen balance, so your glycogen stores will get fill either way - don't overthink it, 20ml of olive oil pre WO isn't going to inhibit what you take post WO. So you have a 4 hour window where you take in NO fat around your WO period? Thats excessive.

twm
09-28-2009, 11:50 AM
risk, I disagree as per below.

this is a very good thread about the workout window
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61836&highlight=pre+post+workout

I'm all about the pre-workout carbs.

Most of the GLUT-4 receptors (the magical "post-workout" window that everyone seems all excited about) have already receded back into the cell by the time your post-workout nutrition gets into your blood stream which makes this far less important (although still huge for other reasons) than everybody crows.

PRE-workout nutrition is of the utmost importance because that's what's primed to actually take advantage of this phenomenon.

If your pre-workout nutrition is in order, your post-workout nutrition is less important. If your pre-workout nutrition sucks, then hopefully your post-workout intake is great so that it's better than nothing.

*gets off soapbox*

this is all assuming that Borris knew what he was talking about.. which I think he did, since I havent examined any science whatsoever behind his claim. but hes a smart guy so I feel confident in mentioning it.

Wayward
09-28-2009, 12:29 PM

I didn't say it wasn't "fine". That wasn't the question.

I don't agree that it's ideal.

Can you recommend some "books" that will suggest fats and/or whole meals are ideal over light protein/carbohydrates in a pre-workout (30-60m) window? Thanks.

Clifford Gillmore
09-28-2009, 12:41 PM
risk, I disagree as per below.

this is a very good thread about the workout window
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61836&highlight=pre+post+workout

this is all assuming that Borris knew what he was talking about.. which I think he did, since I havent examined any science whatsoever behind his claim. but hes a smart guy so I feel confident in mentioning it.

Yes Borris is correct about PRE WO nutrition, that is why I mentioned the body being in a positive nitrogen balance. POST WO nutrition is still re-filling the glycogen stores. So you're agreeing with me then. :D :P

Clifford Gillmore
09-28-2009, 12:52 PM
I didn't say it wasn't "fine". That wasn't the question.

I don't agree that it's ideal.

Can you recommend some "books" that will suggest fats and/or whole meals are ideal over light protein/carbohydrates in a pre-workout (30-60m) window? Thanks.

Yes I can recommend a book of the top of my head, its actually sitting next to my toilet LOL! 'Food for Sports Preformance' Dr Louise Burke. All of Dan Roberts and Chris Masons articles are worth reading as well, Nutrient Timing is also a great book.

Fat is fine PRE WO, I mean in a whole meal. You can do the 2.1 Carb Pro shake thing, eating a chicken salad s/w with advacado isn't going to inhibit your receptors until you start OVER doing the fat with the macro's. Having a Mcdonalds triple quater pounder or whatever is not a good choice.

So whatever, stick to your holy grail of dextrose and protein 2.1 Ratio PRE and Post - It doesn't worry me. I'm off to cut 50k worth of Prime Yearling beef :)

Clifford Gillmore
09-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Though you should limit fats (not more than about 15 grams) in your pre workout muscle building foods since they significantly slow digestion (an effect we do not want in our pre workout muscle building nutrition), you do need some fats in your pre workout meal, particularly essential fatty acids. This is primarily because EFA's help to elevate and maintain your testosterone levels. Testosterone, as we know, is a key muscle building hormone. You can get omega-3 EFA's from sources such as tuna and salmon (also good sources of protein) as well as seeds and nuts, and omega-6 EFA's from eggs and poultry (protein), nuts and whole grain breads (low GI complex carbohydrates). As you can see, you can get the EFA's you need from your lean protein sources.

This is from an article I have on the computer too, where I was generally thinking about the fat PRE WO from.

twm
09-28-2009, 05:19 PM
meh, i should have been more specific. i dont like consuming fats preWO. it sits too heavy... some of that might come down to preference also. you can take fish oil anytime after your workout... or better yet eat real fish as a solid meal after your workout. you dont grow in the gym anyway.

Wayward
09-28-2009, 07:49 PM
So whatever, stick to your holy grail of dextrose and protein 2.1 Ratio PRE and Post - It doesn't worry me. I'm off to cut 50k worth of Prime Yearling beef :)

I don't have a holy grail of anything... I'm just asking questions.

There seems to be a lot of variance of opinion amongst different texts, so I'm genuinely interested in seeing the formulated facts behind this as opposed to simply having someone jump at me and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about while suggesting I should go read a book. Heh. Thanks, I have...

I'll check out your toilet reading suggestion if I can grab it at the library or catch a copy online. I'm pretty receptive to hearing either side and examining the 'facts & findings' of each.

Clifford Gillmore
09-28-2009, 08:20 PM
I don't have a holy grail of anything... I'm just asking questions.

There seems to be a lot of variance of opinion amongst different texts, so I'm genuinely interested in seeing the formulated facts behind this as opposed to simply having someone jump at me and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about while suggesting I should go read a book. Heh. Thanks, I have...

I'll check out your toilet reading suggestion if I can grab it at the library or catch a copy online. I'm pretty receptive to hearing either side and examining the 'facts & findings' of each.

I do apologise for being forward, I often get a little too excited and go off on tangents - please ignore it. Look, honestly, if you look for any side to to any arguement/discussion you will find information to back it up. Nutrition is a VARY varied field, I mean look at the freakin' food pyramid - what a great idea THAT pile of junk was.

Try and look for some advanced texts while in the library too, abbreviated research papers and such. If you find anything, post it up!

marrykonta
10-06-2009, 01:36 AM
Hi Aslin,

Hey dude, Olive oil was incorporated into whey protein through emulsification to produce films. Whey protein films were prepared by dispersing 10% protein in distilled water; and plasticized with different levels of glycerol (glycerol : protein [Gly : pro ] = 0.5 and 0.6). Olive oil was added at different levels (oil : pro = 0.0, 0.2, 0.3 and 0.4). The emulsion films were evaluated for mechanical properties, water vapour permeability (WVP) and opacity. Increasing the levels of Gly or olive oil in the films led to decreases in modulus and tensile strength. Increasing Gly content of films at oil/pro ratios of 0.2, 0.4 led to slight increases in elongation (EL). Increasing the oil : pro ratio further resulted in a decrease in EL for all films. No significant difference in WVP and opacity was observed between films made from mixtures of various proportions of whey protein concentrate–Gly with increasing olive oil (addition) at all levels of the plasticizer.

Thanks