PDA

View Full Version : Question for Travis Bell

vdizenzo
09-27-2009, 08:44 AM
I guess you can all read this also and anwer if you'd like. Am I not a nice guy or what. So Trav, I actually went out and bought a PLUSA. I have to admit the magazine has somewhat improved over the last couple of years since I have looked at it. Anyway, I read Louie's GPP article. My question is, currently I am running an off season 12 week training cycle, now because there is no competition at the end of the cycle, should it be considered a 12 week accumulation phase? Would that be too long to push everything so hard?

Travis Bell
09-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Man I am on my wifes iPhone at the moment but my short answer would be to still cycle through the phases but at the end don't deload. This will still allow your body to cycle in it's intensity levels as well as low you to experiment with how it helps you peak.

I have more thoughts on this later but for now I hate typing on this thing lol

vdizenzo
09-27-2009, 10:52 AM
No rush Trav, thanks for the response. I'd love some more detail on this. I think this thread could be helpful to a lot of competitors, that's why I did not jsut pm you.

Rob Luyando
09-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Vincent I will post just for you! If I recall your symbol is SFW or something to that affect. Just train balls out and go easy when you need to this doesn't have to be rocket science.

vdizenzo
09-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Vincent I will post just for you! If I recall your symbol is SFW or something to that affect. Just train balls out and go easy when you need to this doesn't have to be rocket science.

That's true Rob. What I find interesting, is that my program over the years has kind of manifested itself into a few different stages. I am doing some of the things I have read by just being instinctive. If there is some relationship I can figure out and employ, it can only help. I always go into training with a plan, it's within that plan that I Smash F'ing Weights!

I was very pleased to see the issue had an interview with you in the magazine. It was excellent.

Travis Bell
09-27-2009, 12:37 PM

Good point Rob!

Honestly, this is probably more a description of what people at a high level like yourself already do, than anything else.

I don't think it's something that needs to be spent hours racking someones brain over. Not worth it.

It's also not something that less experienced or newer lifters need to think too hard about.

Travis Bell
09-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Ok, what I was going to say Vin, is somewhat what you already said. You most likely already do this.

What I would do is like I said, run through all the phases. Reason being is your body isn't going to be able to maintain the extreme level of training for 12 weeks.

What you could do though is extend the cycles a little, not a ton, but a little.

Going through the cycles will allow you to experiment a little though, see if this works for you, helping you peak for a meet.

Now the problem that most people will ask about is what if they don't have that much time between meets? Often times guys will do meets on short notice, or a couple meets in a row.

The solution is to improvise and adapt. Change the length of the cycles, or extend the last one a little longer since that's what you'll have ended in. If you have enough time to run through things quickly (enough weeks) that'll probably work best, but it will all depend on the lifter and how they respond to recovery and time off and peaking.

Vin, you do seem to respond really well to a more planned attack, so I could see this working quite well for you.

I do a very similar routine, far out I'm doing a lot of GPP, lots of higher rep stuff on accessory work and a ton of variety on ME work. The closer I get to a meet, I drop the GPP work, lower reps on accessory stuff, lower the volume and intensity and even drop squatting (being a bench only lifter)