PDA

View Full Version : World's Strongest Man 2009 - Malta

Tom Mutaffis
09-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Here is an interview with Derek Poundstone; they are still in the qualifying rounds right now.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20090927/local/strongest-man

JSully
09-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Wow.. I didn't know he was only 28 years old.. that's amazing.

Are they going to show the WSM live on ESPN? I know the actual competition starts next weekend as these are just the qualifiers..

JSully
09-27-2009, 08:40 PM
BTW, poundstone is a beast. I am subscribed to his youtube channel.. his training is amazing. Shouldering 400lb stones, squatting his car, pulling a dump truck.. just amazing.. mad props to the guy

Cmanuel
09-27-2009, 09:52 PM
He's one beast. I actually met him at the food expo portion of the institute of food technologists annual meeting this year. Honestly I didn't realize he was that tall, I always thought he was taller. Cool guy though.

Tom Mutaffis
09-28-2009, 07:02 AM
WSM is a TV show, not a live event. It will be aired around the holidays (late December). They are currently doing the qualifiers and then I believe there is a short break before the finals begin.

This will be one of the best years to date with the true world's strongest men participating. Savickas, Pudz, Poundstone, Shaw, Ortmayer, Murmets, Hollands, Loz, Pfister, etc. - should be an epic battle.

Off Road
09-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Keep us posted. WSM is my favorite strength event.

Lones Green
09-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Tom, I thought Pudz retired?

jmccown
09-28-2009, 07:37 AM
I thought Pudz got into MMA or something.

Bob
09-28-2009, 07:46 AM
Pudz did "retire", but then has come back... but decided he wanted a 6th title. Supposedly he is a bit lighter this year, checking in at under 300 lbs.. whereas Derek is around 330.

Pudz is doing a MMA match later this year.. check out the YouTube vid of the weighin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8718XFS6cuc&NR=1

As Tom said.. this year is going to be a classic!! Especially with the inclusion of Zydrunas Savickas this year - who has been excluded the last 4 yrs for being part of the competitive leaque (IFSA) which shutdown this past year.

The qualifiers are finishing up today... 2 guys from each of 5 groups of 5 strongmen... will make a group of 10 finalists that start the finals on Thursday, finishing on Sat.

Travis Bell
09-28-2009, 07:51 AM
Poundstone is awesome! Hope he wins this year.

=Travis=
09-28-2009, 08:20 AM
What was with the shot in the background where they were walking Nee away from the squats as if he was injured? Anybody heard?

Ben Moore
09-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Nee always about passes out on any squat or dl event. I'm sure that's what it was.

Tom Mutaffis
09-28-2009, 08:56 AM
What was with the shot in the background where they were walking Nee away from the squats as if he was injured? Anybody heard?

I believe that he may have been injured, again. Nothing has been confirmed yet though.

As Ben mentioned he does frequently black out during events so he may have just passed out.

=Travis=
09-28-2009, 08:56 AM
LOL, yeah I've noticed that.

Tom Mutaffis
09-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Pudz did "retire", but then has come back... but decided he wanted a 6th title. Supposedly he is a bit lighter this year, checking in at under 300 lbs.. whereas Derek is around 330.

As Tom said.. this year is going to be a classic!! Especially with the inclusion of Zydrunas Savickas this year - who has been excluded the last 4 yrs for being part of the competitive leaque (IFSA) which shutdown this past year.

The qualifiers are finishing up today... 2 guys from each of 5 groups of 5 strongmen... will make a group of 10 finalists that start the finals on Thursday, finishing on Sat.

There always seems to be some drama with Mariuz. He is a great competitor and I guess that he wanted to give it one last shot, with perhaps the strongest field that he has ever faced.

I am really looking forward to seeing Savickas compete; probably one of my favorite strongmen to watch.

Tom Mutaffis
09-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Right now the guys who look like they are going to make the finals are:
- Poundstone
- Pudz
- Shaw
- Pfister
- Savickas

There are 5 other spots; will keep everyone posted as the qualifying rounds wrap up. Dave Ostlund and Terry Hollands both seem to be doing well. No word on Ortmayer yet.

JSully
09-28-2009, 09:32 AM

Pudz is doing a MMA match later this year.. check out the YouTube vid of the weighin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8718XFS6cuc&NR=1

Pudz has this awesome grin on his face after seeing that guy at the weigh in, lol..

I was unaware derek was 330.. **** that's huge. How tall is he?

If I had the cash, I'd go to Malta and watch in person. I love watching WSM.. that was the highlight of my bouncing career: when they would replay WSM on saturday nights at midnight on ESPN, lol..

JSully
09-28-2009, 09:33 AM
There always seems to be some drama with Mariuz. He is a great competitor and I guess that he wanted to give it one last shot, with perhaps the strongest field that he has ever faced.

I am really looking forward to seeing Savickas compete; probably one of my favorite strongmen to watch.

are there any internet stations or websites we can watch to see video of the events sooner than december?

Lones Green
09-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Nee always about passes out on any squat or dl event. I'm sure that's what it was.

Yeah, you're right. He looked like he was limping though

I like Big Z, didn't he do WSM 5 years ago or so back? He's a lot stronger and a lot bigger now

I hope Poundstone wins though, such a humble, strong guy.

vdizenzo
09-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Nee is a either a drama queen, or gets hurt too much. I can't figure it out, but both are annoying. The kid is gifted, he just has to get his crap together.

I am excited to see Big Z on the WSM stage. So many people think you have to be ripped and conditioned to win WSM, Z might show 'em different.

I saw a vid interview of Derek in Malta, wow, our boy sure has a nice bloat to him. I have been around Derek many times and I have never seen a head on him like he's got going on now. It's beautiful. As much as I love big Z, I gotta pull for Derek because I know him. Bring it home Derek!

Tom Mutaffis
09-28-2009, 10:33 AM
There have been a lot of comments around about Derek's size at WSM (bloat). He works hard and I would like to see him do well.

Big Z is my favorite, the guy just has a love for the sport and is immensely powerful. He has already proven that he can beat the top guys by winning the Arnold numerous times in a row and then winning Fortissimus earlier this year.

With regard to Kevin Nee - I don't know if his structure can support his power. He has been injured numerous times and seems to struggle with conditioning at his current size. Kevin is a gifted athlete though and probably the top strongman deadlifter, pulling an easy 905 in the gym with just straps and a belt!

I will continue to post updates as they come through. (Sorry Jake, there is no way to watch the contest before December - but sometimes guys post stuff on Youtube so you may want to keep an eye out on there).

JSully
09-28-2009, 11:07 AM
I've seen Kevin Nee's 905 deadlift, absolutely amazing!

I don't care about bloat, Poundstone is awesome. I wached several youtube vids of him at Americas Strongest Man and he's a monster. I'm rooting for Poundstone. I'll keep an eye out on youtube for WSM vids.. I wish it was more mainstream. :(

Tom Mutaffis
09-28-2009, 11:48 AM
I've seen Kevin Nee's 905 deadlift, absolutely amazing!

I don't care about bloat, Poundstone is awesome. I wached several youtube vids of him at Americas Strongest Man and he's a monster. I'm rooting for Poundstone. I'll keep an eye out on youtube for WSM vids.. I wish it was more mainstream. :(

The discussions elsewhere were more about safety rather than aesthetics.

If I see any videos floating around I will post them here.

vdizenzo
09-28-2009, 12:13 PM
I don't care about bloat

:ninja: them's fightin' words!

=Travis=
09-28-2009, 12:29 PM
I wish it was more mainstream. :(

They'll be televised, it's just not live. It's every year at xmas there will be a marathon including the qualifiers up to the finals. Even though you know the winner, they're still fun to watch.

As far as youtube goes, Poundstone's girlfriend is good about posting lots of videos of the comps so I bet she'll start having some up before too long.

JSully
09-28-2009, 12:44 PM
:ninja: them's fightin' words!

lol, that meant I don't care how bloated he is, he's a MONSTER..

If I had to be that bloated to be that strong, sign me up!! At the same time, he's pretty damn lean.. looks like he carbed it up pretty hardcore on the flight over!

The only reason I'm cutting is because I don't want to go purchase a new wardrobe, lol..

Bob
09-28-2009, 12:46 PM
As far as youtube goes, Poundstone's girlfriend is good about posting lots of videos of the comps so I bet she'll start having some up before too long.
Yeah she is usually great at posting.. however, on another forum she has stated that WSM has requested that she not update the Internet Forums, etc... since she is Derek's GF.. and she is biting her tongue.. so, we may not be lucky this year to see them. We might have to wait until the official TV show at Christmas.. bummer.

It would be great to see Poundstone win - especially since I got to meet him and work with him at our local NH strongman competition.. but then again pretty cool to see Travis win - especially with his amazing stone runs or keg throws.. or to see Big Z cement his legacy by being the only one to win IFSA, the Arnold, Fortimus and WSM... or to see if Pudz can get 6 against the bigger guys and heavier events this year.. but for some reason I like the "youngsters" either Brian Shaw or Dave Ostlund.

Any way it goes should be a lot of fun to watch...

=Travis=
09-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Well that sucks. I remember all the videos last year. Since last year was in the US there was a ton of guys posting videos on youtube. She posted a bunch during Fortissimus this year as well. I guess we'll know who wins, we just may not get previews I guess.

Tom Mutaffis
09-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Derek Poundstone is assured his spot in the final. Current scores in his group are uncertain, but it looks like the 2nd qualifying spot is still up for grabs between LPJ, Ilin, and Marku, with just stones to go.

Savickas and Shaw have a strong lead going into the last two events. Felix could break into the finals with a good performance on the last day, but it's pretty unlikely.

In Group 3, Phil and Mariusz have a strong lead going into the stones. Klyushev might be in striking distance, and Katona would need a last place from Mariusz to move on to the finals.

Loz has a huge lead in Group 4, already qualifying for the finals with 2 events left. Scoring is tight among the other 5 athletes, so the 2nd qualifying spot is going to come to the last event. Ortmayer is definitely a favorite with Keg Toss and Stones left.

Terry Hollands has a good lead, with Ostlund and Murumets battling out for the 2nd qualifying position. Expect this one to come down to the stones.

Tom Mutaffis
09-28-2009, 01:05 PM
DAY THREE HEATS RESULTS AND GROUP PLACINGS
Monday 28th Sep 19:47:35
Today's updates from Malta

Dumbbell Press

Group 1
Derek Poundstone continuing to stay strong winning this event. Louis Philippe Jean and Kostiantyn llin fighting it out for 2nd place in tomorrows Atlas Stones event.
Group 3
A group of draws today in Malta with Phil Pfister and Alexander Klyushev in joint first place. Darren Sadler (UK) in 2nd place and both Mariusz Pudzianowski and Ervin Katona finished this event in joint 4 position. Group 3 continuing to be a battle for first place...
Fingals Fingers

Group 2
Zydrunas Savickas won this event with Brian Shaw placed in 2nd

Group 5
Dave Ostlund won this event

Group Positions after day 3 of the heats

Group 1 - Derek Poundstone (USA) 10 points clear in the lead
Group 2 - Zydrunas Savickas (Lithuania) leads by 2 points over Brian Shaw (USA)
Group 3 - Another move in the leader with Phil Pfister (USA) taking the lead over Mariusz Pudzianowski (Poland)
Group 4 - Remains unchanged with Laurence Shahlaei (UK) leading the group with both the Keg Toss and Atlas Stones in day 4
Group 5 - Terry Hollands (UK) remains leader in this group

Tim K
09-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the updates Tom. Missed seeing Derek compete at Five Points on St. Paddy's day. He couldn't make it down, but we did some other fantastic strongmen doing their thing. Pretty cool stuff... and then my truck got towed. :(

Off Road
09-28-2009, 02:05 PM
I can't help rooting for Pfister.

shortguy
09-28-2009, 02:44 PM
This is from a few posts back, but didnt lbstone win fortissimus, if i remember correctly it was a close finish but he was the only one to load the 512lb stone. Either way zadrunas and poundstone are impressive.

Tom Mutaffis
09-28-2009, 02:56 PM
This is from a few posts back, but didnt lbstone win fortissimus, if i remember correctly it was a close finish but he was the only one to load the 512lb stone. Either way zadrunas and poundstone are impressive.

Savickas took 2nd in 2008 and won this year.

Here are a couple of his other accomplishments:

"Arnold Classic" Strongman winner (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008)
IFSA Strongman World Championship winner (2005, 2006), 3rd in 2007
IFSA European Champion (2005)
World's Strongest Man - 2nd Place - 2002, 2003, 2004

Not to mention countless other smaller strongman contests and powerlifting titles.

=Travis=
09-28-2009, 03:19 PM

That was 2008 where that happened. They re-weighed that stone this year and realized someone screwed up and the stone was actually 530 so they renamed it the Louis Cyr/Derek Poundstone Stone. Poundstone came in second this year I think to the Big Z.

shortguy
09-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Thank you for clearing that up i was wondering if that was the case. Do you guys know where i can find a write up about the event of coverage of some sort. I would like to see how it went.

=Travis=
09-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Ironmind.com has been posting updates and there are some on the World's Strongest Man website but I haven't actually seen a write-up per se, just results.

Tom Mutaffis
09-29-2009, 09:23 AM
World’s Strongest Man: Last Day of the Qualifiers
by Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D. | ©2009 IronMind

With only ten slots available, the world’s top strongmen are down to the last day of the qualifying round at the 2009 World’s Strongest Man contest.

With hot weather, great action and a field seen as the best ever, action at the 2009 World’s Strongest Man contest has been tremendous by all accounts.

Brian Shaw going head to head with Zydrunas Savickas continues to be much talked about and their blazing performances in the Fingal’s Fingers was dramatic to say the least.

Andrus Murumets, tipped as an early favorite for the podiumn, “started really strong, but a surprising let down in his deadlift could well allow Dave Ostlund and Terry Hollands to go through from that group,” IronMind was told. “They have kegs and stones today and it’s going to be difficult for Andrus to hang on to second position.” Terry Hollands lead that group.

Phil Pfister and Mariusz Pudzianowski, both World’s Strongest Man winners, are said to be going through from their group, but this is unofficial. Pfister has won four events, IronMind heard, and Pudzianowski “is yet to win an event in their heat.” Darren Sadler produced a big performance in the deadlift.

Speaking of the deadlift, the Brits have done tremendously in the deadlift as well as the squat.

Between being sick and having a blown squat suit, Travis Ortmayer has had some bad luck, but it’s not over until it’s over.

JSully
09-29-2009, 09:25 AM
they can wear squat suits?

=Travis=
09-29-2009, 09:40 AM
they can wear squat suits?

Yeah, I read the Ironmind update this morning and wondered the same thing.

UHCougar05
09-29-2009, 09:59 AM
they can wear squat suits?The can wear whatever the promoter says is legal, but usually it's only really tight Z-suits or Inzer Hardcores and they're under their clothes. I've seen videos of guys using Metal briefs in an IFSA contest IIRC.

KarstenDD
09-29-2009, 10:21 AM
I hope Poundstone wins though, such a humble, strong guy.

lolwut

Tom Mutaffis
09-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Squats suits are OK at WSM. They have been allowed previously as well, but in most cases the competitors have to wear shorts and a t-shirt to cover the suit.

Tom Mutaffis
09-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Here are the ten athletes going to the finals:

From group 1
Derek Poundstone
Louie Phillipe Jean

Group 2
Brian Shaw
Zydrunas Savickas

Group 3
Mariusz Pudzianowski
Phil Pfister

Group 4
Laurence Shahlaei
Travis Ortmayer

Group 5
Dave Ostlund
Terry Hollands

=Travis=
09-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Nice to see that Ortmayer pulled it off and got into the finals. Hopefully his reported sickness gets better by this weekend. It's cool to see 5 Americans going to the finals.

Tom Mutaffis
09-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Nice to see that Ortmayer pulled it off and got into the finals. Hopefully his reported sickness gets better by this weekend. It's cool to see 5 Americans going to the finals.

Yes, one American from each qualifying group - all of whom appear to have a shot at the podium if things go their way.

Travis Bell
09-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks for posting the updates Tom!

=Travis=
09-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Oh, I'd go out on a limb and say atleast one of them will be on the Podium. I think all could take first if they do good. I think Big Z and Pudz also have a great chance to be on the podium. My early prediction is Poundstone, Zydruna and Pudz on the podium but I'm not sure of the order.

But reports were that Shaw was whooping some ass so he may go top 3 as well, and he did pretty darn good at Fortissimus.

Niko_El_Piko
09-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the info. Will they broadcast the finals? Some ESPN or whatever?

Regards!

Travis Bell
09-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the info. Will they broadcast the finals? Some ESPN or whatever?

Regards!

WSM is a TV show, not a live event. It will be aired around the holidays (late December). They are currently doing the qualifiers and then I believe there is a short break before the finals begin.

This will be one of the best years to date with the true world's strongest men participating. Savickas, Pudz, Poundstone, Shaw, Ortmayer, Murmets, Hollands, Loz, Pfister, etc. - should be an epic battle.

Bout the 4th post lol

=Travis=
09-29-2009, 07:15 PM
They'll be televised, it's just not live. It's every year at xmas there will be a marathon including the qualifiers up to the finals. Even though you know the winner, they're still fun to watch.

And at post 25

Ben Moore
09-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Wow, that's going to be one hell of a final. There are some beasts in that group.

fpr
09-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Pudz has this awesome grin on his face after seeing that guy at the weigh in, lol..

I was unaware derek was 330.. **** that's huge. How tall is he?

If I had the cash, I'd go to Malta and watch in person. I love watching WSM.. that was the highlight of my bouncing career: when they would replay WSM on saturday nights at midnight on ESPN, lol..

I read on wiki that he's 6'1. 330 seems damn huge since most of the other competitors are much taller.... gives me hope, maybe I can break the 300lb barrier being only 5'11 :evillaugh:... not as a pillsbury doughboy though

Joe Black
09-30-2009, 01:58 AM
Damn, which I had of known about this. I've always wanted to go to one of these events and Malta is only a couple of hours flight from England...

Still tempting to just book something and go out there lol.... hmm...

J.C.
09-30-2009, 07:12 AM
Its funny how Strongman competitors are usually very tall compared to powerlifters who are quite compact. WSM competitors really are the largest, strongest guys on the planet. I think Terry Hollands is the tallest this year at 6'6, but I may be wrong.

Tom Mutaffis
09-30-2009, 07:16 AM
Its funny how Strongman competitors are usually very tall compared to powerlifters who are quite compact. WSM competitors really are the largest, strongest guys on the planet. I think Terry Hollands is the tallest this year at 6'6, but I may be wrong.

Brian Shaw and Phil Pfister are both in the 6'6+ range. Travis Ortmayer is 6'4-6'5 and Zydrunas is also around 6'4.

All of the competitors are quite large.

Tom Mutaffis
09-30-2009, 07:29 AM
World’s Strongest Man: The Finalists
by Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D. | ©2009 IronMind

2006 World’s Strongest Man Phil Pfister reportedly posted the fastest time on the Atlas Stones, and is on his way to the finals.

So are 5-time World’s Strongest Man winner Mariusz Pudzianowski, not to mention Zydrunas Savickas, Brian Shaw, Laurence Shahlaei, Travis Ortmayer, Derek Poundstone, Louis-Philippe Jean, Terry Hollands and Dave Ostlund.

Much has been said of Brian Shaw’s very strong showing and the relentless power of Zydrunas Savickas, but today added more exclamation points as Pfister capped off his qualifiers with yet another win (netting victories in five of the six events) in the group where Mariusz Pudzianowski was shut out. Derek Poundstone came in as a big favorite for top honors, but he wasn’t able to load the final stone today - adding another dimension to pre-contest bets. And Travis Ortmayer, all but written off as dead and buried, well, his obituary was a little premature.

It’s onward and upward now, so stay tuned for the finals of the 2009 World’s Strongest Man contest

Tom Mutaffis
09-30-2009, 07:36 AM
Directly from Travis Ortmayer:

"Thanks to all you guys for having faith in me! I felt like absolute Hell the first few days but I kept fighting and it payed off!! To tell the truth, I didn't even want to go to the final after the first two days... this is how bad I felt.

On a side note, all I can say is "I told you so" to all those who thought big Z wasn't suited for WSM. Too fat and slow, no endurance... blaa blaa blaa. I have never seen a 400 lb. man move the way he does!

Thanks again everyone! I will do everything I can to bring MY fire to the finals. With another day of rest I think it is possible.

-Travis

One more thing, for anyone who thought group 4 was a bunch of B-leaguers... Go **** yourself. And of course I mean this in the nicest way possible"

Guido
09-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Brian Shaw and Phil Pfister are both in the 6'6+ range. Travis Ortmayer is 6'4-6'5 and Zydrunas is also around 6'4.

All of the competitors are quite large.Yeah, I'd say Pfister is in the 6'6 range easily.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/ryan1171/Arnold%20Classic%2009/100_0771.jpg

Tom Mutaffis
09-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Yeah, I'd say Pfister is in the 6'6 range easily.

In the IFSA 2006 World Championship DVD the announcer says "Pfister's hands are huge... looks like he has a bunch of bananas hanging off his wrist"

Off Road
09-30-2009, 08:29 AM
2006 World’s Strongest Man Phil Pfister reportedly posted the fastest time on the Atlas Stones, and is on his way to the finals.

Go Phil :thumbup:

=Travis=
09-30-2009, 09:39 AM
In the IFSA 2006 World Championship DVD the announcer says "Pfister's hands are huge... looks like he has a bunch of bananas hanging off his wrist"

LOL

I got a cousin-in-law who met Pfister at some comp and had him trace his hand on a t-shirt alonf with an autograph and the hand is HUGE.

EatMyWay2TheTop
09-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Hope Savickas takes it, that guy is mind blowing

Travis Bell
09-30-2009, 11:35 AM

It's true.

I was backstage helping at the Arnold a couple of years ago and all the strongmen were back there warming up. I shook Phil's hand and I don't think my fingers even touched his pinkie.

I felt like a little girl.

Sensei
09-30-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm pretty sure it was the GQ article about Phil that described his hands as having "penis fingers".

=Travis=
09-30-2009, 11:52 AM
LMAO

Besides, looking at Pfister's hands, I'd really love to see an American win this year but I am a big fan of Zydrunas

Guido
09-30-2009, 02:07 PM
It's true.

I was backstage helping at the Arnold a couple of years ago and all the strongmen were back there warming up. I shook Phil's hand and I don't think my fingers even touched his pinkie.

I felt like a little girl.I know the feeling. I shook his hand, too, and I think my whole hand would fit inside his palm. Same with Brad Gillingham.

KarstenDD
09-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Yes, Poundstone is very fat. He's the local boy and all, but I would marry Brian Shaw in 6 states.

Tom Mutaffis
10-01-2009, 08:07 AM
Yes, Poundstone is very fat. He's the local boy and all, but I would marry Brian Shaw in 6 states.

I wouldn't say that Poundstone is fat at all. People were commenting more about how bloated he is (water retention).

Travis Bell
10-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Have to agree, Poundstone doesn't look real fat to me either.

Regardless though, the guy is an absolute stud

Tom Mutaffis
10-01-2009, 08:42 AM
Fingal Fingers

1. Z. Savickas -28,59 - World Record
2. Dave Ostlund - 32,00
3. Brian Shaw - 32,50
4. Travis Ortmayer - 34,40
5. Derek Poundstone - 35,50
6. Mariusz Pudzianowski - 36,50
7. Phil Pfister - 37,oo
8. Terry Hollands
9. Laurence Shahlaei
10.Louis Phillip Jean

Tom Mutaffis
10-01-2009, 08:42 AM
Farmers walk

1. Pudzian - 25,05
2. Poundstone - 32,...
3. Shahlaei - 33,...
4. Savickas - about 40 sec.

Tom Mutaffis
10-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Top 3 after two events:

1. Big Z - 17
2. Derek - 15 / Mariusz - 15 (tied)

g2103320
10-01-2009, 09:14 AM

All of the competitors are quite large.

Brian Shaw is 6'8" and what's even scarier is size 17 feet

Jonah
10-01-2009, 09:31 AM

You'd make a great wife:evillaugh:

As far as Derek, I'll quote a wise man:

"You can blindfold him with dental floss!"

Ben Moore
10-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Fingal Fingers

1. Z. Savickas -28,59 - World Record
2. Dave Ostlund - 32,00
3. Brian Shaw - 32,50
4. Travis Ortmayer - 34,40
5. Derek Poundstone - 35,50
6. Mariusz Pudzianowski - 36,50
7. Phil Pfister - 37,oo
8. Terry Hollands
9. Laurence Shahlaei
10.Louis Phillip Jean

That's freakin amazing.

Tom Mutaffis
10-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Here is some video of the plane pull...

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20091001/local/plane-challenge

Tom Mutaffis
10-01-2009, 11:04 AM
WSM - top three after first day: 1 Zydrunas Savickas, 2) Mariusz Pudzianowski, 3) Derek Poundstone
Terry Hollands just won the Plane Pull at WSM. Zydrunas was second; and Shaw and Ortmayer tied for third.

That also means Mariusz beat Derek in the plane pull.
Also, I think this solidifies Terry's position as the best truck puller in strongman.

Another interesting fact:
In the qualifiers, Phil beat Mariusz, Shaw beat Savickas, and Loz beat Travis in the truck pull. The results are reversed in the plane pull in the finals.

Tom Mutaffis
10-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Here are the actual points:

Plane Pull
1. Hollands
2. Savickas
3. Shaw
4. Ortmayer
5. Pudzianowski
6. Poundstone

After 3 events
1. Big Z 26
2. Pudzian 21
3. Derek 20

Jason198
10-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Wow this is the best wsm ever thanks for the updates.

=Travis=
10-01-2009, 11:43 AM
So far, that's the top 3 I was predicting to make the podium. Overhead is tomorrow and Z is sick with his overhead strength.

Jason198
10-01-2009, 11:45 AM
What are all the events? Thanks in advance.

=Travis=
10-01-2009, 12:47 PM
All that is left are Overhead Lift - Apollo's Axle, Boat Pull tomorrow and on Saturday is Car Deadlift Hold and Atlas Stones

Tom Mutaffis
10-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Here is the full lineup of events:

THURSDAY

Giant Farmers Walk
50m
This is a timed event.
The athletes walk 25m, put the farmers down, turn around and pick it up to walk another 25m.
75 seconds
160kg/353lbs (per hand)

Fingal Fingers
75 seconds
200/225/250/275/320 kg
440/495/550/605/705 lb

Plane Pull
25m
75 seconds
44 tones

FRIDAY

Apollo's Axle
for reps, from the ground
75 seconds
155kg/342lbs

Boat Pull/ Arm over arm
20m
75 seconds
300kg/660lbs

Car Deadlift for reps
75 seconds
350kg/770lbs

SATURDAY

Atlas Stones
75 seconds
100/110/120/140/160 kg
220/245/265/310/360 lbs

**I am not sure if it is 3 events tomorrow and one on Saturday or two and two.

=Travis=
10-01-2009, 01:58 PM
WSM site says the deadlift is on saturday

Bob
10-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Here are the actual points:

Plane Pull
1. Hollands
2. Savickas
3. Shaw
4. Ortmayer
5. Pudzianowski
6. Poundstone

After 3 events
1. Big Z 26
2. Pudzian 21
3. Derek 20
Here are the points for all finalists after day 1:
Zydrunas Savickas 26
Mariusz Pudzianowski 21
Derek Poundstone 20
Brian Shaw 19.5
Terry Hollands18
Travis Phil Pfister 15.5
Phil Pfister 15
Dave Ostlund 14
Laurence Shahlaei 12
Louie Phillipe Jean 5

Guido
10-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Savickas is just a beast. Not surprised about his showing. I think it's going about as expected so far. The americans Poundstone and Shaw are all battling for 2nd-3rd place right now.

Tom Mutaffis
10-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Axle

1. Savickas - 9 reps
2. Pudzian - 8
2. Poundston - 8
4. Otmayer - 7
5. Shaw -6
6. Pfister - 5
7. L.P. Jean - 4
8.Ostlund - 4
9. Hollands - 2
10. Shahlaei - ?

Tom Mutaffis
10-02-2009, 07:49 AM
Overall Points Standing (After Axle Press)

1 - Zydrunas 36 pts
2 - Mariusz 29.5
3 - Poundstone 28.5
4 - Brian 25.5
5 - Travis 22.5
6 - Terry 20
7 - Phil 19
8 - Dave 17,5
9 - Loz 12
10 - Jean 8.5

Tom Mutaffis
10-02-2009, 07:52 AM
Just from the Ironmind twitter page

"Malta - Brian Shaw just won the Boat Pull at WSM; Marius Pudzianowski was second and Travis Ortmayer was third."

"Big Z holds his lead after Day 2 at World's Strongest Man. Mariusz Pudzianowski remains second and Brian Shaw has moved into third."

Tom Mutaffis
10-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Boat Pull

1. Shaw - 32
2. Pudzian - 39
3.Ortmayer 45,8
4.Hollands - 47
5. Shahleai - 51,5
6. Pfister - 55,09
7. Poundstone - 1,02,09
8. Savickas 1,02,09

Tom Mutaffis
10-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Here are the overall standings with two events remaining, deadlift and stones.

Current Overall Standings
1. Savickas - 39 pkt
2. Pudzianowski - 38,5
3. Shaw - 35,5
4. Poundstone - 32,5
5. Ortmayer- 30,5
6. Hollands - 27
7. Pfister - 24
Ostlund - 18,5 or 19.5
Shahleai - 19
10. L.P. Jean - 9,5 or 10.5

Pete22
10-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Wow, this is going to make for an exciting finish. Let's go Pudzian!

Polish Hammer
10-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Polish Power! Although I would like to see Poundstone take it one day.

Tom Mutaffis
10-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Poundstone would need a miracle, but anything could happen. The deadlift favors guys like Savickas, Terry, and Poundstone - but you can't count out Pudzian. Stones are a speed event and will come down to who has good footwork and doesn't make mistakes; many of the guys in this group should fly through the series.

I am eagerly looking forward to the outcome.

=Travis=
10-02-2009, 08:32 AM
I'm pulling for Big Z to take it. I think he'll do good in the deadlift and he's quicker at stones than some people think.

Lones Green
10-02-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm pulling for Big Z to take it. I think he'll do good in the deadlift and he's quicker at stones than some people think.

Me too. I'd like to see an American dominate soon though!

Big Z is just so freaking strong

rinse
10-02-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm lovin it that Pudz is shutting up all the doubters on marunde-muscle. I hope he wins it so they can bitch and moan about for another year.

Polish Hammer
10-02-2009, 08:41 AM
If Savickas pulls this out,its a true testament that perseverance prevails. He's been very close before .I believe he came in 2nd three years in a row.

=Travis=
10-02-2009, 10:24 AM
I thought Savickas has never actually been to WSM before because of the whole IFSA thing.

Edit. He aint been there in a long time due to IFSA. He's been dominating The Arnold though since.

Polish Hammer
10-02-2009, 10:27 AM
2002,2003,2004-Runner up.

Lones Green
10-02-2009, 11:43 AM
I thought Savickas has never actually been to WSM before because of the whole IFSA thing.

Edit. He aint been there in a long time due to IFSA. He's been dominating The Arnold though since.

Yeah, he was on it a few years back. Do a google image search for his name and you'll see some pics of him, a lot smaller than he is now, with a WSM shirt on squatting on one of the implements and such.

There was a marathon on last Christmas and the seasons went back FOREVER ago, I got to see some of his qualifying group. Could probably find some video on the internet.

Tom Mutaffis
10-03-2009, 06:53 AM
Dead lift
1. Savickas - 11 reps
2. Pudzianowski - 9
2. Poundstone - 9
4. Shaw - 8
4. Hollands - 8
6. Ortmayer - 7
7. Shahleai - 6
8. Ostlund - 5
9. L.F. Jean - 3
10. Pfister - 0

Tom Mutaffis
10-03-2009, 06:55 AM
"WSM - Brian Shaw and Derek Poundstone just finished the stones - Brian won and is no worse than third overall.

WSM - Big Z and Mariusz next on the stones - this is for the World's Strongest Man title...

Zydrunas Savickas just won the World's Strongest Man contest!"

Tom Mutaffis
10-03-2009, 06:55 AM
Savickas wins WSM 2009!

1. Zydrunas Savickas
2. Mariusz Pudzianowski
3. Brian Shaw

rinse
10-03-2009, 06:56 AM
Savickas won! Huge congrats. And Pudz second with Brian Shaw third.

dynamo
10-03-2009, 07:05 AM
Dead lift
1. Savickas - 11 reps
2. Pudzianowski - 9
2. Poundstone - 9
4. Shaw - 8
4. Hollands - 8
6. Ortmayer - 7
7. Shahleai - 6
8. Ostlund - 5
9. L.F. Jean - 3
10. Pfister - 0

whats up with Pfister not getting any reps? too heavy? was he broken?

Off Road
10-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Wow, great battle for the top spots. I can't wait to watch it.

Lones Green
10-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Awesome, glad to see big Z won it. Brian Shaw at 3rd is great to see as well.

Polish Hammer
10-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Congrats to big Z!

Tom Mutaffis
10-03-2009, 02:11 PM
whats up with Pfister not getting any reps? too heavy? was he broken?

Not sure, he is not a great deadlifter but should have at least been able to pull a few reps. He was out of contention at that point so maybe just decided to play it safe and sit out on the deadlift.

Tom Mutaffis
10-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Awesome, glad to see big Z won it. Brian Shaw at 3rd is great to see as well.

Yes, I really like watching Z compete and in my opinion this solidifies his spot as the greatest strength athlete ever - winning WSM, Fortissimus, and The Arnold (5X in a row)... along with IFSA Worlds. I saw video of his axle press from WSM and his combination of brute strength and conditioning is incredible.

It was also great to see Pudz come back and battle it out. He is a great competitor and is definitely the WSM man of the decade with 5 wins and a couple of additional 2nd place finishes.

Poundstone is probably disappointed being beat out by Shaw, especially since Shaw was not at America's Strongest Man a couple of months ago when Poundstone reclaimed that title. He generally posts a write-up as does Travis so I will keep an eye out for those and relay the information here. You have to think that the intense training and heavy contests that he has done have perhaps taken a toll on his body. He was doing some outrageous things in the gym leading up to WSM and may have burnt himself out.

Brad08
10-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Yes, I really like watching Z compete and in my opinion this solidifies his spot as the greatest strength athlete ever - winning WSM, Fortissimus, and The Arnold (5X in a row)... along with IFSA Worlds. I saw video of his axle press from WSM and his combination of brute strength and conditioning is incredible.

:thumbup:

Jason198
10-03-2009, 06:50 PM
What is the pay out for the? WSM

What about the Arnold, and Olympia?

I seen the Olympia Body building contest was 200 k, Thats what I read on Marundee Muscle Forum.

not much in the way of payouts for Powerlifting, even the body builders made more off that last wk end, not bitching because they are very strong guys and I think that was good for powerlifting. Maybe Powerlifting has 2 many weight classes.

Tom Mutaffis
10-03-2009, 07:04 PM
What is the pay out for the? WSM

What about the Arnold, and Olympia?

I seen the Olympia Body building contest was 200 k, Thats what I read on Marundee Muscle Forum.

not much in the way of payouts for Powerlifting, even the body builders made more off that last wk end, not bitching because they are very strong guys and I think that was good for powerlifting. Maybe Powerlifting has 2 many weight classes.

The Arnold was said to have about $100K in total prizes, and I believe possibly $40K to the winner. There may have also been a vehicle for the winner as well (Hummer/Viper?).

Olympia strongman had a total of $15K divided between 10 athletes, am not sure on the specifics. (ASC contest)

One of the WSM qualifiers (Mohegan) had $25K in prizes paid out, and I believe WSM was somewhere in line with the Arnold in terms of prizes.

Fortissimus had competitive cash prizes as well.

------------------------------------

Most poeple do not compete in strongman for the money. It is not nearly as lucrative as bodybuilding and there are not as many mainstream sponsors. Some Pro contests in the USA have very little cash payout and so for anyone other than maybe the top three guys it is simply a hobby, sometimes a very expensive hobby.

I would say that Powerlifting is definitely competitive with strongman. A pro strongman can expect to maybe win $5K throughout the year in strongman if they are very good and consistenly make the podium. A regular pro strongman or very good amateur will probably spend a couple of thousand dollars to compete. If they are an international level competitor (maybe top 3 guys in the country) then they can expect to make $25K-$50K depending on how frequently they compete or if they can win a big contest. Internationally there are another maybe half dozen guys at that earnings level.

If someone wanted to make a living with the sport they would have to secure numerous individual sponsors and find a way to market themselves (website, etc.) rather than counting on prize money. I have some friends who are sponsored by big name supplement companies for bodybuilding and even there unless you are a top guy it is more just to make your hobby free rather than expensive; which is still a great achievement. A sport like strongman/bodybuilding can cost thousands of dollars per year for a regular athlete.

Jason198
10-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Good post Tom I was just wondering and curious.

I thought a few years back they showed the pay out for the wsm and there was like 100,000 to be divided between the contestants. I could be Wrong.

ANY WAYS THIS CONTEST WAS THE BEST!!!!

Lones Green
10-04-2009, 09:04 AM
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1149608938556

Thats the stones, Big Z and Mariusz.

You can't see real well, but Big Z picks up those stones like they weigh nothing!

Tom Mutaffis
10-04-2009, 09:31 AM
There was a video of Z's axle press against Brian Shaw that was posted as well. He was strait cleaning the ~350 lbs axle and pressing it like a toy!

The producers of WSM gave specific instructions not to post footage online, so those videos will likely be taken down soon.

Lones Green
10-04-2009, 09:42 AM
There was a video of Z's axle press against Brian Shaw that was posted as well. He was strait cleaning the ~350 lbs axle and pressing it like a toy!

The producers of WSM gave specific instructions not to post footage online, so those videos will likely be taken down soon.

I didn't think WSM would be happy, I saw where you posted about them talking to Derek's girlfriend

You can't see much in the footage anyway, I'll still watch it!

Guido
10-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Wow. Congrats to Big Z for showing who is the best of all time. What a showdown between he and Pudz. Just what everyone was hoping for. The Americans showed well, too, and before long I think we'll see Shaw or Poundstone taking home the title once again. :thumbup:

Tom Mutaffis
10-05-2009, 02:06 PM
After watching the videos Z had a pretty dominating performance. Pudz hung with him and the two of them were simply on a different level. Even watching the axle press when Pudz went head to head with Poundstone you could tell that Mariuz came to this event ready to battle.

If Z's boat pull wasnt absolutely horrendous he would have probably won by 5+ points, it looked like he didn't really practice that event or was maybe having some grip problems. No one can doubt his speed or agility once you watch the atlas stones, and his power/conditioning on the static events is simply amazing.

I am really happy for Savickas, Pudz, and Shaw. Looking forward to watching all of the footage in a couple of months on ESPN.

JSully
10-05-2009, 02:38 PM

Link?

lol..

Travis Bell
10-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Most of them are on facebook. Not hard to find.

I don't think there are any on YouTube

vdizenzo
10-05-2009, 03:35 PM
I always thought Z was the strongest in the world. I'm glad he had finally got the opportunity to prove it. I consider it a huge victory for those of us who don't have abs.

Clifford Gillmore
10-06-2009, 03:15 PM
hx_z3Mvj_jA

Lones Green
10-06-2009, 04:30 PM
LOL!!! Pfister is a character.

Ortmayer using the monster stick as a tool, hahaha

Tim K
10-06-2009, 06:29 PM
That was a great video... Too funny!

WVBob
10-07-2009, 07:42 AM
Was Kazmaier at Malta doing his usual role? Haven't heard anything about him this year.

Jason198
10-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Hopefully WVBOB, that the wsm will get back to WV. It would be great to have had the Americas strongest man there with that format and prize money and the finals to be played on ESPN like they were going to do, but I think the name got trademarked and it was not allowed to be used or something like that.

No doubt it would have been cool.

Tom Mutaffis
10-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Was Kazmaier at Malta doing his usual role? Haven't heard anything about him this year.

Kaz was there, I saw a couple photos of him. Am not sure what he has been up to but he has made a few cameos at smaller local strongman events.

Hopefully WVBOB, that the wsm will get back to WV. It would be great to have had the Americas strongest man there with that format and prize money and the finals to be played on ESPN like they were going to do, but I think the name got trademarked and it was not allowed to be used or something like that.

No doubt it would have been cool.

Are you talking about broadcasting ASM on national television? WSM and ASM are two very different contests.

ESPN radio interviewed a couple of us at NJ's Strongest Man if that counts for anything...

WVBob
10-07-2009, 01:32 PM
It is true the WSM and ASM are two diffeent enterprises. After last years WSM held here in Charleston, WV, local strongman Phil Pfister and I talked about his plans to create a permanent headquarters for the America's Strongest Man event here in Charleston. But he said that at that time, there was not enough sponsers interested enough to commit the money.

In fact, the original plan last year was to have the ASM come to Charleston. But it got changed to the WSM, I beleive at Pfisters urging.

I know that there are many of us here in Charleston and in WV that would love to see the WSM come back again. It was a really big event here and the organizers were very impressed with the crowds

WVBob
10-07-2009, 01:37 PM
I can say too that my son and I got to meet and talk to about 3/4's of the 30 strongmen who showed up here in Charleston last year and there were NONE of them who were ever too tired to pose for a picture or give an autograph. Even Mariusz on his bad days. They are a great bunch of guys.

I was sorry that Magnus Samulson did not come back again. He spent almost more time with the crowds taking pictures and signing autographs than he did competing. He was a crowd favorite.

Jason198
10-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Tom I was talking about Americas strongest man, there was a web site for it and everything they were going to have like 3-5 qualifing events in day 1 and day 2 was going to be the finals with the top ten from day #1, they said there would be cash prizes for 1-10 place and the finals were going to be showed at a later date on possibly espn, the Top 1 or 2 guys would qualify for the WSM, I think WVBob could verify this as he sent me the link to the web site before WSM came to CHARLESTON.

Tom Mutaffis
10-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Tom I was talking about Americas strongest man, there was a web site for it and everything they were going to have like 3-5 qualifing events in day 1 and day 2 was going to be the finals with the top ten from day #1, they said there would be cash prizes for 1-10 place and the finals were going to be showed at a later date on possibly espn, the Top 1 or 2 guys would qualify for the WSM, I think WVBob could verify this as he sent me the link to the web site before WSM came to CHARLESTON.

Oh ok, I know the event that you are talking about. It never took place.

ASM or America's Strongest Man is a contest that is run every year by ASC (American Strongman Corporation). This other event had the same name but was going to be quite different, with one of the biggest factors being that it was supposed to be drug tested. It also was going to be open to all weight classes whereas in ASC there is a LW and HW division.

It would be nice to see more big contests specifically those with maintsteam media ties, like this contest had proposed.

NightStorm
10-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Tom,

Thanks for all the updates and other strongman info.

WVBob
10-22-2009, 07:05 AM
Anybody ever hear why Met-Rx didn't sponser the WSM this year?

Tom Mutaffis
10-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Anybody ever hear why Met-Rx didn't sponser the WSM this year?

Not sure on that, but Fortissimus is also going through some changes right now due to a falling out.

WVBob
10-28-2009, 11:06 AM
A falling out with Met-Rx?

Tom Mutaffis
10-30-2009, 09:07 AM
A falling out with Met-Rx?

No, Met-Rx was not affiliated with Fortissimus that I know of - just an example of how there are a fair amount of politics in strongman.

Either way I am glad to see the World's Strongest Man TV show still running strong and am looking forward to watching this year's event in December.

JSully
12-17-2009, 03:09 PM
http://www.theworldsstrongestman.com/broadcast.php

TV Schedule

The World's Strongest Man 2009
The Mediterranean island of Malta plays host to the latest
instalment of World’s Strongest Man.

ESPN --------------------- ESPN2
Episode 1 1/3/2010 2.30pm 1/7/2010 9.00pm
Episode 2 1/10/2010 3.00pm 1/7/2010 9.30pm
Episode 3 1/10/2010 3.30pm 1/7/2010 10.00pm
Episode 4 1/17/2010 2.30pm 1/7/2010 10.30pm
Episode 5 1/17/2010 3.00pm 1/7/2010 11.00pm
Episode 6 1/17/2010 3.30pm 1/7/2010 11.30pm
Episode 7 1/17/2010 4.00pm 1/9/2010 9.00pm
Episode 8 1/17/2010 4.30pm 1/9/2010 9.30pm
Episode 9 1/17/2010 5.00pm 1/9/2010 10.00pm
Episode 10 1/17/2010 5.30pm 1/9/2010 10.30pm
Episode 11 1/17/2010 6.00pm 1/9/2010 11.00pm

All times are Eastern Standard Time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Mutaffis
12-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Thank you for posting that; hopefully I can catch some of the episodes.

The Mohegan Sun Super Series was on Versus last night at 6:00 PM. I believe that some of the other Super Series shows are also going to be televised later this month on Versus.

Lones Green
12-17-2009, 04:22 PM
It was just on tonight at 5 as well, I caught some of it.

JSully
01-08-2010, 08:27 AM
I couldn't find any other showings, so I watched last night on ESPN2.. I think it was 1/2 of the qualifiers..

Strong competitors. 43 y/o english fellow beating out big Z on the deadlift.. poundstone cleaning house in the qualifiers, yet couldn't nail that 360lb stone.. there was that young english guy, 5'8 260lbs that smoked mariusz on the deadlift and brian shaw was definately stepping up his game.

The 2nd showing is this saturday where they'll have the rest of the qualifiers then the finals.

I know we already know the results, but it's still exciting watching it all go down.

Tom Mutaffis
01-08-2010, 09:46 AM
I couldn't find any other showings, so I watched last night on ESPN2.. I think it was 1/2 of the qualifiers..

Strong competitors. 43 y/o english fellow beating out big Z on the deadlift.. poundstone cleaning house in the qualifiers, yet couldn't nail that 360lb stone.. there was that young english guy, 5'8 260lbs that smoked mariusz on the deadlift and brian shaw was definately stepping up his game.

The 2nd showing is this saturday where they'll have the rest of the qualifiers then the finals.

I know we already know the results, but it's still exciting watching it all go down.

There is quite a bit of information on this website:

http://www.theworldsstrongestman.com/

Joe Black
01-08-2010, 10:04 AM
HAve they released where the 2010 one will be hosted yet?

I am so stupid for not going to Malta to see the 2009, it's very close to the Uk and warm weather!

Rugby Dad
01-08-2010, 04:09 PM
i felt stupid for not going to the one held in West Virginia that year, was only like 6 hours drive from me.
but the organizers did absolutely NOTHING to tell people how and where to buy tickets, or hotel, etc.

Jason198
01-08-2010, 05:42 PM
I say it will come back to WV.

Cmanuel
01-09-2010, 03:28 PM
This is fun to watch. Kaz is a legend but damn he sounds like he is just reading a boring book

SELK
01-09-2010, 05:21 PM
can i watch this online somewhere? i dont have a tv?

JSully
01-12-2010, 09:22 AM
This is fun to watch. Kaz is a legend but damn he sounds like he is just reading a boring book

you would be too if you had to say the exact same thing for 12 ESPN episodes.. lol

redbarr
01-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Pretty excited to watch the finals. I can't stop gawking at how much bigger Zydrunas is than all the rest of the athletes. Phil is looking humongous too - it was a nice surprize to see him edge out Mariusz on a few events in the prelims. Sebastian Wenta went from being WSM runner up in '07 to not making the finals in '09. ALOT of new talent this year. Sebastian came on pretty strong on the Highland Games curcuit this past year and I guess is doing less strongman training overall. He will be a daunting competitor at this years Highland Games World Championships -