PDA

View Full Version : Triceps size to match strength.

NickAus
09-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi

I have increased my raw bench 100lbs + and shirted 200lbs + yet my arms have only grown 1/2" in that time.
Some of you have increased your arm size at the same time as building your bench, what do you recommend?
I think in the long run I will be better off with extra size.

Thank you very much.

Tom Mutaffis
09-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Are you doing any volume/hypertrophy work? Also has your bodyweight increased during that period or just strength?

Strength can be a good tool for building size, but strength does not automatically equal size. Hypertrophy is mostly based on how you train and your diet is also an important factor.

NickAus
09-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Are you doing any volume/hypertrophy work? Also has your bodyweight increased during that period or just strength?

Strength can be a good tool for building size, but strength does not automatically equal size. Hypertrophy is mostly based on how you train and your diet is also an important factor.

I have done a bit of upperback and triceps hypertrophy, my weight has increased 20lbs.
Strength has and always will be the main focus but I do think some arm size will help in the long run with my bench goals.
Body weight is 212 arms 16".

Lones Green
09-28-2009, 03:18 AM
As long as you're getting stronger, whats it matter?

Hazerboy
09-28-2009, 03:38 AM

Lol strength is great but you'd always like to have something to show for it.

Or were you questioning how this would help his bench in any way?

Clifford Gillmore
09-28-2009, 03:46 AM

Because its australia, we have to wear our wife beaters all summer long while downing gallons of brew!

NickAus
09-28-2009, 05:34 AM

Yeah strength is what it's all about for me too.
I have gained strength fast but I read stuff by Louie and lots of other people saying you need to build up your triceps size-this is exactly why he has people doing all the higher volume lighter weight extensions etc, they are to build size not just strength or GPP so that in the long run you will have more potential strength.
I am not fussed about the look of my arms but want to make sure I am setting myself up for huge benches down the track if that makes sense.

NickAus
09-28-2009, 05:34 AM
Because its australia, we have to wear our wife beaters all summer long while downing gallons of brew!

Gotta love our summers!

NickAus
09-28-2009, 05:36 AM
What have you guys found good for adding size?

Lones Green
09-28-2009, 06:49 AM
Didn't you just answer your own question? High rep, light weight extensions will do just fine.

Doing tate presses, extensions, JM presses, board presses, etc over the years will put a lot of size on your arms...just look at...well, any big bencher

Illinimeats
09-28-2009, 07:20 AM
Your question is a basic muscle physiology question. You have been training your muscles for strength and not size. Basically, you're increasing the number of muscle fibers firing at once. Think of a monkey or chimp, they have small arms in relation to their strength. They can throw around a 200+lb man with little problem as they can fire almost all their mucsle fibers.

Illinimeats

bencher8
09-28-2009, 07:29 AM
I was thinking of this last night while watching when animals attack or something like that...

I was wondering why animals are so damn strong? wEven little ones are pretty strong for their size and the medium to large ones would kick almost any humans tail strength wise....

I guess its cause they can fire all of their muscle fibers at once? On average, what percent of muscle fibers can a human fire at once? scientific minds lol

jmccown
09-28-2009, 07:35 AM
This answers a question I posted a few months back. I do 98% strength training. It ticks me off when I tell someone what I can bench because they typically say "well you don't look like you can bench that much". Really ticks me off because I bust my tail for the last 2 years to get where I am at and no one recognizes that because I don't do curls and have big swole arms. I need to work in my hyper excercises.

Brian C
09-28-2009, 09:04 AM
I find that weighted dips, CG pressing, and high rep cable work(rope pressdowns,overhead cable ext,1 arm pressdowns) have been my biggest helps with tri size

Illinimeats
09-28-2009, 09:12 AM
I was teaching muscle growth and development in my undergrad and graduate meats classes here at UK. So this stuff was fresh in my mind. But yes, firing all your muscle fibers at once is directly related to strength. Not to take anything away from bodybuilders, who are strong as well. In fact if we put an electrical charge to their muscles, they would be stronger than powerlifters; however, they train for size and we train for strength. I'll check into the amount of muscle fibers the average human fires during a weight load and let everyone know. I feel the frustration, I train with some guys that kick my butt in strength, but my arms are noticably bigger than theirs. But they have been training longer.

Illinimeats

Lones Green
09-28-2009, 09:23 AM
I was teaching muscle growth and development in my undergrad and graduate meats classes here at UK. So this stuff was fresh in my mind. But yes, firing all your muscle fibers at once is directly related to strength. Not to take anything away from bodybuilders, who are strong as well. In fact if we put an electrical charge to their muscles, they would be stronger than powerlifters; however, they train for size and we train for strength. I'll check into the amount of muscle fibers the average human fires during a weight load and let everyone know. I feel the frustration, I train with some guys that kick my butt in strength, but my arms are noticably bigger than theirs. But they have been training longer.

Illinimeats

Yeah, I'm taking a class that has a lot of this stuff in it, fast and slow twitch muscle fibers, etc

The last thing I want to do is think about that right now, LOL

BigTallOx
09-28-2009, 09:50 AM
This answers a question I posted a few months back. I do 98% strength training. It ticks me off when I tell someone what I can bench because they typically say "well you don't look like you can bench that much".

It's better to be that way, than the other way around, IMHO.

Tom Mutaffis
09-28-2009, 10:38 AM
I like pushdowns for a good isolation exercise that will not take anything away from your recovery or put too much pressure on your elbows. At one time my entire routine was mostly weighted dips and pushdowns, with relatively good results.

Something like 3 sets of 10-25 reps with a moderate weight for the pushdowns should give you a boost in hypertrophy.

Clifford Gillmore
09-28-2009, 11:13 AM

Your correct. In the gym I've been asked whats your max and they just kind of go, BS!! You can do double that!

jmccown
09-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Yep, that's why I use my handy digi camcorder on my ME attempts. So I can show the pricks at work who doubt me. I try not to let it bother me but I feel secure in knowing my capabilities versus what I look like.

NickAus
09-28-2009, 04:06 PM
I find that weighted dips, CG pressing, and high rep cable work(rope pressdowns,overhead cable ext,1 arm pressdowns) have been my biggest helps with tri size

Thanks Brian, that's what I was after-what YOU GUYS have found works for YOU.

NickAus
09-28-2009, 04:08 PM
I like pushdowns for a good isolation exercise that will not take anything away from your recovery or put too much pressure on your elbows. At one time my entire routine was mostly weighted dips and pushdowns, with relatively good results.

Something like 3 sets of 10-25 reps with a moderate weight for the pushdowns should give you a boost in hypertrophy.

Thanks Tom.

NickAus
09-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Didn't you just answer your own question? High rep, light weight extensions will do just fine.

Doing tate presses, extensions, JM presses, board presses, etc over the years will put a lot of size on your arms...just look at...well, any big bencher

Your right maybe it will take me a few more years but I do board presses with up to 600lbs, I can do 4 reps with 500 off the 2 board yet my arms are not much bigger than some of my friends who bench less than 200lbs.
It is time to put some mass on my triceps to give me more strength potential.
And yes I would rather be strong than be big and weak but I know size will help in the long run.

Lones Green
09-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Your right maybe it will take me a few more years but I do board presses with up to 600lbs, I can do 4 reps with 500 off the 2 board yet my arms are not much bigger than some of my friends who bench less than 200lbs.
It is time to put some mass on my triceps to give me more strength potential.
And yes I would rather be strong than be big and weak but I know size will help in the long run.

Keep doing this for 10 more years and then see how your arms look

NickAus
09-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Keep doing this for 10 more years and then see how your arms look

Will do, thanks.

NickAus
09-28-2009, 05:26 PM

True!

Stumprrp
09-28-2009, 06:20 PM
i feel you pain Nick, im 251 pounds at 5'8 and my arms are about 17. cant help ya LOL

NickAus
09-28-2009, 06:47 PM
i feel you pain Nick, im 251 pounds at 5'8 and my arms are about 17. cant help ya LOL

Lol thanks bro, I find gaining size in the arms much harder than strength and my point is in the long run I think the extra size will help.
So any advice would be really good.

Darracq
09-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Do you ever do triceps death. Take a narrower grip like one hand in, start at chest do 5 reps no rest add 1 bd,then 5 reps then 2bd and so on up to 4-5 bd. this will fry your tri`s

NickAus
09-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Do you ever do triceps death. Take a narrower grip like one hand in, start at chest do 5 reps no rest add 1 bd,then 5 reps then 2bd and so on up to 4-5 bd. this will fry your tri`s

Ok I will do it, I had heard of it but completley forgot.

Thanks!

Clifford Gillmore
09-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Gaining overall weight is going to be the biggest thing Nick, if you look at this way. You can gain 2-3's on your arms, but your going to end up in the 275+ by the time your done! Then there is the whole thing of the muscles around the joints being enlarged because you train them that way, so your arms look smaller by default (Ie my legs look quite skinny due to my massive knees, but they are bigger than a Bonds models shoulders!).

NickAus
09-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Gaining overall weight is going to be the biggest thing Nick, if you look at this way. You can gain 2-3's on your arms, but your going to end up in the 275+ by the time your done! Then there is the whole thing of the muscles around the joints being enlarged because you train them that way, so your arms look smaller by default (Ie my legs look quite skinny due to my massive knees, but they are bigger than a Bonds models shoulders!).

Be good if my triceps grew like my thighs, they would grow even from squating once every 15 days no joke.
I got some good ideas so now it's time to go to work.
550 bench is right there.

Tom Mutaffis
09-30-2009, 08:31 AM

This sounds like a good way to hammer your triceps.

Some accessory work like pushdowns or overhead extensions would be good as well. You don't have to do high volume or high intensity to see results - a couple of sets of 10 at the end of your workout should make a difference. Consistency and good form are key.