PDA

View Full Version : Woot - made me a prowler, now when to use it?

jmccown
09-28-2009, 06:58 AM
I made my own version of the prowler yesterday with some 4x4's and some black pipe, some old standard weight bars and some 2x4's. Turned out pretty good - not as pretty as the commercial units, but it's functional. I just need to figure out the skid pads. I want to be able to use it on grass as well as pavement. So I thought about using something simple like attaching frisbee's to the legs. I know they would wear fast but they are very inexpensive. I'm also testing out some industrial knee pads as skids, they are made of hard plastic.

Getting to my question, I have a national meet in 3 weeks. I want to incorporate prowler training to my weekly regimen to cut 10 pounds to meet weight. I've never trained with a prowler but it reminds me of pushing sleds in football back in HS days. Would it be best to use it after every training session after my weight training, since I basically get in at least 4 days per week. Or should I shoot for a M,W, F schedule?

Tom Mutaffis
09-28-2009, 07:10 AM
You can do light prowler work as active recovery or you can incorporate some higher intensity prowler as part of your accessory work.

If your goal is weight loss then the low intensity cardio (long distance/light weight) might be your better option.

jmccown
09-28-2009, 07:30 AM
yes, for the next 3 weeks I merely need to drop 10 lbs. but afterwards I plan on making it a regular part of my training. It actually turned out good, I made it light enough that I could throw it in the back of my truck because I really don't have a place to use it at home.

theBarzeen
09-28-2009, 05:24 PM
I hit it the day after I squat..... great for recovery but it'll make you miserable for sure........

jbrin0tk
09-28-2009, 05:34 PM
I agree with theBarzeen. Doing it light after squat days is great for flushing blood and speeding recovery, but man does it make you feel like crap at first.

Clone
09-30-2009, 12:53 PM
I used thick plastic very similar to cutting board material for my home made prowler feet. But I only use it on pavement.

Its 3/4" thick, and I recessed the mounting screws about 1/2".

I use mine with relatively light weight, on one of my off days.

I have a 200ft driveway, and pull it for 5 laps (down and back).

Then push it for 2 laps at a sprint. Then collapse. :)