PDA

View Full Version : Benching Help!!!

Brian999
09-28-2009, 10:36 PM
I've mostly been benching and OH pressing 2x a weak because of my neck issue. Those don't seem to bother my neck like squats and deadlifts. I tried squats on Friday and still couldn't do them. Anyways, I can bench 245 for reps easy, touch and go. I tried going for a 20lb PR today and doing 265. I did 4 reps, and noticed, I cant touch and go with this weight. I would be about 1/2"-1" away from my chest. I don't have difficulty locking it out. I felt like I had more left in me, and I could touch my chest easy so I took a quick break and went for another rep but this time touching. As soon as I touched my chest I couldn't press the bar anymore and my spotter had to lift the weight for me and rack it. I took another 5 min break and went for it again and the same thing. The funny thing is I can almost touch my chest Im not sure whats wrong :confused:

What would be the problem here? Would it be my triceps? I don't have very strong tris, and they aren't that big at all. Even If I flex them you can hardly see them, but that could be because Im thick. Any exercises to help me specifically on this problem?

NickAus
09-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Make sure you are tucking your elbows a little so you can use your lats to drive off.
I think this is just as much a technique issue as a strength issue so you will need to work on your bench technique.
Strength wise for the bottom of the press some things that will help you are:
Wide grip bench, dumbell bench, shoulder work, speed bench, floor press with a pause may help and tons of lats/upperback work.
Hope this helps!

Hazerboy
09-29-2009, 12:26 AM
I don't understand what you mean when you say you can't touch... You mean get stuck 1/2''-1'' from your chest? You mean you don't think you can touch your chest without failing? Or you LITERALLY cannot touch your chest?

Brian999
09-29-2009, 09:50 AM
I don't understand what you mean when you say you can't touch... You mean get stuck 1/2''-1'' from your chest? You mean you don't think you can touch your chest without failing? Or you LITERALLY cannot touch your chest?

Yes, I get stuck 1/2"-1" away from my chest. I felt like I could do it, but I couldn't, so I took a quick rest, and tryed touching it, and I couldn't press it from there. The reason I didn't touch my chest on the first few reps was because I did feel really weak at the bottom.

Brian999
09-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Make sure you are tucking your elbows a little so you can use your lats to drive off.
I think this is just as much a technique issue as a strength issue so you will need to work on your bench technique.
Strength wise for the bottom of the press some things that will help you are:
Wide grip bench, dumbell bench, shoulder work, speed bench, floor press with a pause may help and tons of lats/upperback work.
Hope this helps!

hmmm, I think not tucking my elbows a little can be the problem because I dont tuck them. Im doing a lot of shoulder work, but I'll go ahead and check my form, and use dumbells again (they really helped my bench #'s go up in the beginning.)

Thanks!!!

NickAus
09-29-2009, 04:06 PM
No prob, you will need to tuck some for saftey and also for better drive off chest.
Keep us posted, you will be sorted in no time im sure!

Travis Bell
09-29-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm so confused, is this in a shirt or raw?

If it's raw, that's one of the weirdest things I've ever heard LOL. You should always touch all of your reps

Murph1001
09-29-2009, 09:55 PM
I think he is benching bodybuilding style with the elbows cocked out to the side.

Brian999
09-29-2009, 11:26 PM
I think he is benching bodybuilding style with the elbows cocked out to the side.

Yes I am, and yes this is raw. Even my partner yesterday said that, it was embarrassing because once I couldn't press it, he grabbed the bar slightly to help me, and I still couldn't budge it. He had to lift the whole bar, and rack it for me. I lose all my power at the bottom.

Sean S
09-30-2009, 11:20 AM
So you can bench 265 when you don't bring it all the way down to your chest, but can't when you bring it all the way down to your chest?
I think the answer should be relatively obvious here. Almost everyone can bench more if you they don't bring the weight all the way down. The fix here is pretty straightforward: 1) touch your chest on every rep of every set 2) pause the weight on your chest in at least some of your training 3) do assistance work to build up the lats, pecs, and shoulders.

Tim K
09-30-2009, 02:19 PM
So you can bench 265 when you don't bring it all the way down to your chest, but can't when you bring it all the way down to your chest?
I think the answer should be relatively obvious here. Almost everyone can bench more if you they don't bring the weight all the way down. The fix here is pretty straightforward: 1) touch your chest on every rep of every set 2) pause the weight on your chest in at least some of your training 3) do assistance work to build up the lats, pecs, and shoulders.

4) drop the weight to something you can actually touch and press.

vdizenzo
09-30-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm so confused.

Brian999
09-30-2009, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll give this a shot also.

4) drop the weight to something you can actually touch and press.

Yeah I guess so, I did 4 reps, so I figured I could at least touch with one rep but I couldn't :(

Now that Im thinking about it though I think maybe I need to use a wider grip? I have pretty long arms, long for my height actually. People have always told me that. Im 5'11, when I bench I usually put my middle finger or ring finger on the ring. I do flare my elbows too, because when I tried tucking them a lot, I benched a lot less them when I flared them. Also I've tried a really wide grip, and I benched a lot less then what I did with a not so wide grip. Any opinions on this? :confused:

Brian999
09-30-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm so confused.

Hopefully my post above helps with any confusion.

sandcracker21
10-01-2009, 05:56 AM
Now that Im thinking about it though I think maybe I need to use a wider grip? I have pretty long arms, long for my height actually. People have always told me that. Im 5'11, when I bench I usually put my middle finger or ring finger on the ring. I do flare my elbows too, because when I tried tucking them a lot, I benched a lot less them when I flared them. Also I've tried a really wide grip, and I benched a lot less then what I did with a not so wide grip. Any opinions on this? :confused:

probably because you are not used to the movement; a new movement will use slightly different muscles...i have ALWAYS been a poor bencher, and i make small changes and it seems to just get harder and harder as well....it feels to me that 315 will never come as long as i lift....

Travis Bell
10-01-2009, 06:22 AM
You don't need a wider grip to touch. I can touch with my index fingers on the smooth part of the bar

You just need touch.

I've honestly never heard of someone having a tough time touching raw

Brian C
10-01-2009, 06:38 AM
Are you just having problems coming off your chest? Then its easy, just lower the weight A LOT and practice form or your going to get hurt. Not being able to touch raw is just rediculous, unless your elbows are so flared out their touching you ears...

Tim K
10-01-2009, 08:03 AM
I'm so confused.

You're not alone. From what I can gather, if the OP touches the bar to his chest, he fails to bench the weight. In order to bench the weight, he is stopping the downward movement a few inches from his chest (an 'air' board movement?) and starting the pressing movement. Easy answer, lower the weight, correct the form issues, get stronger, and then increase the weight.

C'mon, if you're Raw, the easiest thing in the world is getting the weight to touch.

Saverio
10-01-2009, 11:44 AM
I used to have trouble out of the hole and what worked for me was to take a weight I could do 5 or 6 clean reps with and do 3 second pauses with it for about 3 reps. I never actually rest the bar on my chest, but rather stop it at the point where it just barely is touching, keeping constant tension against the weight. Then just blast it up at the count of 3.

It really does help with explosiveness at the bottom of the lift.

theBarzeen
10-01-2009, 03:56 PM
so you have no problem touching, you just want to bench press more weight than you can actually press off of your chest?

to bring up my speed off of the chest I set pins in the power rack at about the same height as my chest and let the bar stop completely on the pins before pressing...... works nice for me

FYI benchers having problems touching usually means that they literally can not get the weight to their chest because their shirt is set too low

Brian999
10-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Are you just having problems coming off your chest? Then its easy, just lower the weight A LOT and practice form or your going to get hurt. Not being able to touch raw is just rediculous, unless your elbows are so flared out their touching you ears...

Yes, Once I touch. I will lowe the weight, I think a 20lb jump was a bit excessive right now. I'll lower the weight back, down and try and work on my form.

Thanks!

You're not alone. From what I can gather, if the OP touches the bar to his chest, he fails to bench the weight. In order to bench the weight, he is stopping the downward movement a few inches from his chest (an 'air' board movement?) and starting the pressing movement. Easy answer, lower the weight, correct the form issues, get stronger, and then increase the weight.

C'mon, if you're Raw, the easiest thing in the world is getting the weight to touch.

Yes, Im sure I cant touch because Im not that strong to press that weight I guess. Like I mentioned above I'll lower the weight back down, and try and increase it slower now.

I used to have trouble out of the hole and what worked for me was to take a weight I could do 5 or 6 clean reps with and do 3 second pauses with it for about 3 reps. I never actually rest the bar on my chest, but rather stop it at the point where it just barely is touching, keeping constant tension against the weight. Then just blast it up at the count of 3.

It really does help with explosiveness at the bottom of the lift.

Thank you I'll give this a shot Friday. I'll try everything I can to get my bench stronger! Hopefully this helps!

so you have no problem touching, you just want to bench press more weight than you can actually press off of your chest?

to bring up my speed off of the chest I set pins in the power rack at about the same height as my chest and let the bar stop completely on the pins before pressing...... works nice for me

FYI benchers having problems touching usually means that they literally can not get the weight to their chest because their shirt is set too low

Im not benching in my power rack right now. I still need to buy a bench for it. I have to still make trips to the gym to bench, but once I get my bench here I'll give this a shot.

Thanks for all the great advice everybody! I guess, yeah I should have just lowered the weight, but I've learned a lot and will try a bit of everything!