PDA

View Full Version : Increasing CNS capacity??

JSully
09-29-2009, 09:03 AM
This is the 2nd time this has happened to me.

On sunday I went out and flipped my 830lb tire. I just did 5 sets: 2 sets 5, 1 set 6, 1 set 8 and 1 set 10.. Took me about 40mins or so and I was pretty gassed.

Yesterday I deadlifted. I'm doing the 5/3/1 program and was expecting 525x8-10 for my last set but couldn't get over 5 and as a matter of fact, every single set I did yesterday felt heavy.

Same thing happened about 2 1/2 weeks ago when I flipped my tire the day before squats, I think I rocked out 3 sets of 8. Squats strength was pitiful the next day and even 315 felt heavy.

I should probably quit being a jackass and flipping my tire before major movements like this, but, when I'm under time constraints I do what I can when I can. So, is there anything I can do to increase my CNS capacity so that it doesn't tax me as much and destroy my weight training or should I just make sure to give at least a day between my tire flipping and squats/deadlifts?

Sean S
09-29-2009, 10:33 AM
I think you answered your own question here. If tire flipping is your priority, what you are doing is fine. If your priority is getting stronger on the SQ and DL, it's probably not a great idea to flip the tire the day before. Yes your body can adapt to this, but only to a point. Unless you get to the point that the 830 lb. tire is ridiculously light for you, it will probably affect your training the next day. Ideally you would flip the tire as a second exercise or something after you SQ or DL and would have plenty of recovery time before your next weight training session.

JSully
09-29-2009, 10:58 AM
That's what I thought, I just didn't know if there was any way I could increase my capacity so it wouldn't affect my weight training. I would probably have to not push myself as hard.. damn, I wish my internal meter went up faster..

I'll hafta figure something out with my heavy weight training vs my strongman training.. thanks for the help.

chris mason
09-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Another alternative would be to reduce your work on the tire flips. In other words, do them, but not as intensely when you want to train deads heavy.

Tom Mutaffis
09-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Jake -

Have you altered your nutrition/supplements to help accomodate the increased workload? Sleep is important as well.

As Chris mentioned you may want to re-work your program a bit either varying the intensity or the volume of the tire flips to be in line with what you have planned for gym training.

Tire flip is not really known as being brutal on the CNS but you did 34 total reps and assuming that the 830 tire is not overly light for you that is quite a demanding workout. Something like this would perhaps be more effective.

Option 1:
Tire Interval Training, Workout 1:
830 lbs x 3 reps x 3-5 sets (2 minutes rest between sets)

or

Tire Interval Training, Workout 2:
830 lbs x 1 flip per minute for 15-20 minutes (GPP building)

Option 2:
Strongman Competition Training:
830 lbs x 1
830 lbs x 2-3
830 lbs x Failure (10-12) or 60 seconds (as many reps as possible)

BigTallOx
09-29-2009, 12:28 PM
I'll hafta figure something out with my heavy weight training vs my strongman training..

Yup, I struggle with the same issues. I love strongman training, but I limit it because right now my focus is powerlifting ( at least until I build my strength up a little more ). Not that I'm saying you have to choose one or the other, but I don't think most people can give 100% to both all of the time ( which sounds to me like you're trying to do ).

JSully
09-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks Chris, that makes sense.

Tom- as always, great advice. My diet is about 3300cals on training days and 2700cals on off days. I'm carb cycling right now, trying to slowly drop about 35lbs over the next 5 months or so (trying to get down to 240) without losing strength. I'm dropping about a pound a week right now, sometimes a pound and a half and strength still seems to be increasing, so long as I don't go flipping tires the day before a heavy movement.

I like your training suggestions and will definately keep those in mind. The tire is not overly light for me, however, it's not overly heavy either, I could probably do 1000lb+ tire for a couple flips. The tire is getting easier with every workout. I've been trying to train higher reps because in my competition coming up I've got to flip a 600lb tire 75' for time. The higher reps seems to be helping my GPP. I have no idea how much lighter this 600lb tire is going to feel compared to mine, so I've just been going balls to the wall in hopes the lighter tire is going to be easy. On my longer sets, I'm taking 15-20 seconds between flips once I start getting exhausted (after the 6th-7th flip). I like the idea of the "warmup" sets then an all out to failure set, I going to do that this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

JSully
09-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Yup, I struggle with the same issues. I love strongman training, but I limit it because right now my focus is powerlifting ( at least until I build my strength up a little more ). Not that I'm saying you have to choose one or the other, but I don't think most people can give 100% to both all of the time ( which sounds to me like you're trying to do ).
yeah, the problem is I have to form my weight training around my daily schedule and since I'm buying a house right now, my daily schedule is sparatic. I like to do my strongman stuff (tire flips, car pull/push) on sundays. NORMALLY my squats would either be tuesday or wednesday, and my deads either friday, saturday or sunday.. last week I got all off schedule and had to push deads to monday.. well I was fried yesterday from killing myself with the tire.

I need to quit my job so I can sleep 12 hours a day, then figure out some way to be able to eat 5000+ cals/day without getting fat.

NickAus
09-29-2009, 06:11 PM
I need to quit my job so I can sleep 12 hours a day, then figure out some way to be able to eat 5000+ cals/day without getting fat.

Ha ha I would love to do the same, how good would it be!

chris mason
09-29-2009, 06:36 PM
To expand, you could alternate hard tire flips and heavy deads. So flip hard and then pull easy, and reverse that the next sessions.

Phillip Wylie
10-01-2009, 08:32 AM
I would move your deadlift day out to Wednesday or Thursday. That would give you more recovery time for both. That would be tough pulling that close to your tire flips.

theBarzeen
10-01-2009, 04:01 PM
I've been doing strongman stuff on sunday as a rehab day from heavy squatting saturday... of course the strongman stuff is very light ( no more than a 650 tire )... but it works well since my priority is powerlifting..... you might want to arrange your week so you can prioritize whichever training is more important to you..... and yes I know that two days in a row lifting heavy is rough but my gym is a solid hour away so it's hard to get out there during the week......