PDA

View Full Version : pin presses at starting point

bald bull
09-29-2009, 06:37 PM
How much weight can i expect to use doing pin press lockouts at my weakpoint which is from the starting point? I imagine alot less then your max since it kills the shoulders and the higher you go the more weight you can pack on. right know i am a RAW 475ish touch and go bencher and 450ish pause bencher. please give me some numbers for the pin press at strating point

Sean S
09-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Do you mean doing pin presses with the bar basically starting on your chest? That sounds like a pec tear or shoulder injury waiting to happen. Especially with the poundages you are dealing with. I can't even do pin presses for pure lockout work without injuring something.
I you're confident you can do this without injuring yourself, start very light and work up slowly to get a feel for the exercise.

bald bull
09-29-2009, 07:42 PM
basically yes at the chest or like right above.

bencher8
09-29-2009, 07:51 PM
These can be done, but it is also an exercise that can ealily lead to injury. There is a lot of strain on the shoulders and pecs right there. If I were you I would only do these with light weights and try to generate speed from there instead of worrying about how much weight you can do....jmo

NickAus
09-29-2009, 07:55 PM
I really believe there a far better options for building low end strength.
There are so many things that will help that are far less dangerous.
Just my 2 cents.

slashkills
09-29-2009, 08:26 PM
really rough on the shoulders. There was a thread not to long ago about building low end strength. Take a look at it for some other suggestions.

bald bull
09-29-2009, 08:46 PM
ya i did read it and it said shoulder and lat work and pin presses were thrown in there too. What else bench wise can i do to build low end strength? I only have 2 and 3 board acess and i practice pauses? What about floor presses?

NickAus
09-29-2009, 09:28 PM
ya i did read it and it said shoulder and lat work and pin presses were thrown in there too. What else bench wise can i do to build low end strength? I only have 2 and 3 board acess and i practice pauses? What about floor presses?

I am pretty new to floor presses but if the bar is close to your chest at the bottom they would work really well.
Wide grip bench
Dumbell bench
Incline
Low decline
Speed bench

Hazerboy
09-29-2009, 10:41 PM
These can be done, but it is also an exercise that can ealily lead to injury. There is a lot of strain on the shoulders and pecs right there.

Why is this? I've heard a lot of people say this but I've never understood why. You never hear about hamstring/lower back injuries when people do concentric good mornings. Why is the concentric motion more dangerous here? I though the eccentric portion was where most injuries occurred.

BTW there are a few strong dudes who do them. Rob has put up some huge static press numbers: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121391

vdizenzo
09-30-2009, 06:01 AM
Why is this? I've heard a lot of people say this but I've never understood why. You never hear about hamstring/lower back injuries when people do concentric good mornings. Why is the concentric motion more dangerous here? I though the eccentric portion was where most injuries occurred.

BTW there are a few strong dudes who do them. Rob has put up some huge static press numbers: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121391

Rob is ridiculously strong and has a build to handle such stressors. I used to do them, but found them too tough on my body.

Like anything else, if people really want to know about an exercise, just add it into your program. Give it a few months then evaluate.

Brian C
09-30-2009, 06:54 AM
Dumbbell presses and cambered bar benching has helped my bottom end

barbell01
09-30-2009, 05:15 PM
4" cambered bar to a 2 board, illegal wide grip bench press, dumbells, speed work, lat work(heavydumbel rows), pullups, etc......

theBarzeen
10-01-2009, 04:05 PM
I raw press around 50 lbs less than you and do pin presses with 225-315ish.... I like how they teach you to stay tight ( which carries over to geared benching).... why not just try them and see how you like them for yourself?

bald bull
10-06-2009, 07:41 PM
what about wide grip inclines to help the bench press? or is regular inclines better?

OGROK
10-06-2009, 07:47 PM
I've been doing illegal wides a lot recently. When I go back to the closer grips they feel much more comfortable on my shoulders.

4" cambered bar to a 2 board

Can this be done as a max effort exercise safely?

barbell01
10-06-2009, 08:09 PM
I've been doing illegal wides a lot recently. When I go back to the closer grips they feel much more comfortable on my shoulders.

Can this be done as a max effort exercise safely?

i wouldn't, if i ever do them i usally just do sets of 5 or so.....

bald bull
10-06-2009, 08:40 PM
will regular incline help up your bench if u go heavy 1-3 rep zone?