PDA

View Full Version : Most muscular at 135, 165, and 222lbs + rear lat

berfles
09-30-2009, 11:42 AM
I posted the 135-222 awhile back in another thread I started about squatting, but I thought I'd add the 165lb one here too.

Anyway, here is a MM pose at 135lbs the week I started, 165lbs which is where I was stuck before I joined here (and got my power rack), and 222lbs a few months ago. I'm pretty much the same weight since I hit 225 and decided to take a break from trying to gain more. I've gotten a lot stronger since then though.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/threecomp-1.gif

And here's a rear lat spread from awhile back too.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/DSCN7697s.jpg

I could stand to cut, but I'm too afraid of losing strength. Plus now it's Fall, so there's no point. I've been doing the 5/3/1 routine for a couple months but it's too hard to tell if I'm still getting stronger. I'll stick with it awhile longer but I may switch some lifts back to my old routine.

CaptainMorgan
09-30-2009, 12:16 PM
If I were you, I would have stopped at 165 and never picked up another weight in my life unless it was just to maintain. Would never utter the words diet or cut again. I'd be on an eternal maintenance. You're insane for getting fatter.

Mik
09-30-2009, 12:35 PM
If I were you, I would have stopped at 165 and never picked up another weight in my life unless it was just to maintain. Would never utter the words diet or cut again. I'd be on an eternal maintenance. You're insane for getting fatter.

WTF????? Was this comment an inside joke I didn't get?

To Berfles......simply amazing transformation man.

Justin R
09-30-2009, 12:59 PM

Your either trolling or an idiot.

Anyhow,

Looking ****ing awesome at 222, serious mass. Congrats on your awesome progress.

Detard
09-30-2009, 04:04 PM
looking big berfles. We have almost the exact same story, and simliar stats, but your about 10lbs heavier than me. You really put in the effort and it shows.Ciongrats bro

Sidior
09-30-2009, 04:17 PM
You have clearly made great progress over the years!

tomv
09-30-2009, 05:18 PM
You're a goddamn sherman tank at 225lbs mate. good work!

CleverName
09-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Dang, look at them traps.

Nicky
09-30-2009, 07:09 PM
222 looks GREAT!! I can only imagine how much you must eat.

LuNa
09-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Wow, that just made me feel bad :clown:. We are the same weight and you look like i want to look. Awesome work, i cant even begin to imagine the work you put in.

Wayward
09-30-2009, 08:36 PM
From Smeagol to beast mode.

That's a really awesome transformation. Congrats and kudos on your hard work.

Southern Beast
09-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Awesome as always, berfles. I'm really diggin' the cherries painted on the wall, lol.

Invain
09-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Damn man you're lookin' pretty huge. I remember when you first joined wbb, it's been interesting following your progress considering your insane metabolism. One of the biggest transformations on the boards I'd say.

benno
09-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Great progress mate, whats your routine look like?

berfles
09-30-2009, 11:20 PM

I too would like to hear your reasoning behind this, whether you were joking or being a dick. Either way, enlighten me.

looking big berfles. We have almost the exact same story, and simliar stats, but your about 10lbs heavier than me. You really put in the effort and it shows.Ciongrats bro

I challenge you to a raw liftoff!

Awesome as always, berfles. I'm really diggin' the cherries painted on the wall, lol.

Haha, my sister did those too. That room was supposed to be her pottery room, but she never really got started so after she moved out I took over.

Great progress mate, whats your routine look like?

Right now I'm doing the 5/3/1 routine from Jim Wendler.

Thanks for all the other comments guys, it makes me want to buckle down harder and start ensuring I get 6000 calories every day again.

RBB
10-01-2009, 08:56 AM
you've made a hell of a transformation there, berfles. it's clear you've put in the work. great job, man. don't be afriad to cut down, though. if you're doing everything correctly you won't lose much strength at all.

Twirl
10-01-2009, 10:51 AM
...just wow man

CaptainMorgan
10-01-2009, 12:39 PM
I too would like to hear your reasoning behind this, whether you were joking or being a dick. Either way, enlighten me.

I'm saying you looked really, really effing good at 165. You didn't have to bulk up more, and personally, I wouldn't have. But I guess if you're doing it for the sport of BBing/PLing, that's cool. Do your thing. Personally, I'm a lazy bastard who is just into weightlifting to get into shape, and I would never go to another gym again in my life if I had your 165lbs body, unless it was just to maintain it every few weeks or so.

Irish Pilot
10-01-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm saying you looked really, really effing good at 165. You didn't have to bulk up more, and personally, I wouldn't have. But I guess if you're doing it for the sport of BBing/PLing, that's cool. Do your thing. Personally, I'm a lazy bastard who is just into weightlifting to get into shape, and I would never go to another gym again in my life if I had your 165lbs body, unless it was just to maintain it every few weeks or so.

There are many things I want to reply with...but Ill keep it simple. With that strength and build and a well organized program and diet layout, his extra weight is going to fall off...and when it does, and he is lean at 185 instead of 165, that 165 will seem laughable.

Attaboy berfles...amazing achievements. Keep it up!

Mik
10-01-2009, 01:41 PM

If you hit 165 and go to the gym every few weeks or so you wouldn't have his body.

Guido
10-01-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm saying you looked really, really effing good at 165. You didn't have to bulk up more, and personally, I wouldn't have. But I guess if you're doing it for the sport of BBing/PLing, that's cool. Do your thing. Personally, I'm a lazy bastard who is just into weightlifting to get into shape, and I would never go to another gym again in my life if I had your 165lbs body, unless it was just to maintain it every few weeks or so.What, and look like every other pseudo-ripped, marginally strong dude out there? What's the point in that? Most of us are here to get as big or as strong as possible, or both.

Meat_Head
10-01-2009, 06:50 PM
I'm saying you looked really, really effing good at 165. You didn't have to bulk up more, and personally, I wouldn't have.

He really didn't. Berfles made good gains to get up to 165, but he still looked like your average joe at that weight. Going up to 225 from there is far more impressive, and takes a work ethic I doubt you'll ever know.

But I guess if you're doing it for the sport of BBing/PLing, that's cool. Do your thing. Personally, I'm a lazy bastard who is just into weightlifting to get into shape, and I would never go to another gym again in my life if I had your 165lbs body, unless it was just to maintain it every few weeks or so.

Why are you on these forums? If your goal is to get to 165lbs and lean, freakin do it. That's not very difficult, not difficult at all. I'd say most men could accomplish that in a year or two, easy... unless you have the testosterone levels of a female bunny rabbit.

I don't like you.

Berfles, very impressive transformation. What kind of routines did you use to get up to 225lbs? I believe you're a fan of 5x5 across, right?

berfles
10-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Berfles, very impressive transformation. What kind of routines did you use to get up to 225lbs? I believe you're a fan of 5x5 across, right?

I am indeed. I am actually strongly considering going back to it for squats, I'm not progressing at all with them in the 5/3/1 routine. Probably because they're all I do for legs and it's only three sets, and I'm not good with higher rep squats. I'll paste my routine that I posted elsewhere:

Monday
Flat bench 5x3
Weighted dips (triceps) 3x5

Tuesday
Deadlifts 5x5 (or 3x3)
Weighted pull-ups 3x5

Wednesday
Shoulder press 5x5
Side laterals supersetted with fronts 3x8

Thursday
Squat ATG 5x5

Friday
Whatever I feel like doing for biceps and additional tri work, if anything.

I know that seems like barely anything, but that's the core of my workout. I'll add additional exercises to each day depending on how I feel, but more often than not that's how it is. Like I said, I would definitely not do this over another well established routine because I catered it to myself after seeing how my body responded.

That's basically what I did from 165 to 225. I feel like I'm getting a bit stronger in bench and deadlifts, but my squats are really pissing me off.

BULK_BOY
10-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Damn Berles! Now That's A BACK!

Congratulation. And keep going mate. ;)

berfles
10-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Damn Berles! Now That's A BACK!

Congratulation. And keep going mate. ;)

Thanks, I think my back will look pretty good once I cut down a bit.

Here is another old picture, take a look at the fierce gaze.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3466/3973705830_30011253d1_o.jpg

radioheadhead
10-01-2009, 10:04 PM
haha!! thanks for that last pic, just an incredible transformation. Traps in your 225 pic are insane.

good ****ing work, man. I'm right behind you.:evillaugh:

Mik
10-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Here is another old picture, take a look at the fierce gaze.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3466/3973705830_30011253d1_o.jpg

Why would you ever want to bulk beyond this I can't understand! :bang:

McLaughlin
10-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Fierce gaze... that one got me laughing pretty good.

Your progress is amazing to me. I'm interested to try out that routine you do, I like the idea of working out more frequently as I almost always felt lazy on rest days.

Also... in regards to the progression... holy crap.

Cards
10-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Dude, you're huge and you have the lifts to show for it. I still don't understand how you ate as much as you did. I managed 183 a 5'7, but I ate so much food I was eating every hour and a half. I can't imagine the amount of food you were eating. I think you mentioned somewhere around 5-6k?

CaptainMorgan
10-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Why would you ever want to bulk beyond this I can't understand! :bang:

Not that one. Obviously I'm referring to his 2nd picture.

He's going to look like a beast when he cuts from his current weight. I just look at all the hard work and dedication people put into it after they bulk up, and I wonder if I'd have the same amount of dedication. Sometimes I think it's not worth it when you already look good. But if you're doing it for the sport of BBing, more power to ya.

Coqui
10-02-2009, 02:49 PM
God Damn good job man!

That's fricking amazing.

JSully
10-02-2009, 03:47 PM
you got huge bro.. awesome

Nicky
10-02-2009, 06:55 PM
I have to post again just to say you are a true inspiration to a skinny guy trying to grow. You should shoot for 235 so you can say you put on a HUNDRED POUNDS!!!

berfles
10-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Dude, you're huge and you have the lifts to show for it. I still don't understand how you ate as much as you did. I managed 183 a 5'7, but I ate so much food I was eating every hour and a half. I can't imagine the amount of food you were eating. I think you mentioned somewhere around 5-6k?

Yep, 6000-6200 a day. I admit a good portion of that is from shakes because I just have no appetite, but even shakes get to be a lot when they're 1600 calories.

I have to post again just to say you are a true inspiration to a skinny guy trying to grow. You should shoot for 235 so you can say you put on a HUNDRED POUNDS!!!

I'm slowly getting to the point of wanting to gain even more... Every week I see myself merely maintaining is filling off my "pissed" meter, and once it's full I start all over again. It's only a matter of time before I get fed up and start pounding 6000+ a day, every day. It's actually getting pretty close now... I may start again Monday. Each time my body holds me back from gaining weight I get more pissed, and eat even more, until I force it to change. Few things piss me off more.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I'll use them to fuel new progress.

joey54
10-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Shows eating and lifting big actually work! Keep it up.

T o m m Y
10-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Awsome progress bro..
What was your diet like to get to 225?

berfles
10-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Awsome progress bro..
What was your diet like to get to 225?

Sorry, I was getting to your PM but I'll just reply here.

I didn't really follow a specific diet, I just ate whatever (within reason) would get me to 6000 calories. I make two shakes that are 660 calories (milk, ice cream, carbo gain, whey) and one that is at or around 1600 calories (similar to the Bako shake in the Recipes section). Other staples for me are jasmine rice (300 calories worth), granola that I make (280 calories per 1/2 cup), and frosted mini wheats for breakfast. Two servings (48 mini wheats) plus milk total 500 calories. I also eat pop tarts (I don't care what they have in them, it's a quick 400 calories). Other than that I just eat normal dinner which for me is usually around 800-1000 calories, and I'll total all that up. If I won't be at 6000 I start eating anything I can get, or drink more milk. Maybe a peanut butter sandwich.

On days I don't feel like physically eating that much, I'll even make two of those bigger shakes.

T o m m Y
10-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Damn dude,your metabolism must be crazy fast huh?

berfles
10-02-2009, 09:19 PM
That doesn't begin to describe it...

dxiw
10-04-2009, 12:31 PM

I disagree. With his great genetics, great diet and great workout routine he has the potential to be a champion. Sure he looked great at 165, but no different from just another guy at the beach. Now he looks like a serious bodybuilder. I think the 225 looks great and I would love to see him at 250.

BilltheButcher
10-05-2009, 06:47 AM

Once you get to 165, your going to want to be 185 and when you get to 185 you are going to want to be 215. You think his 165 is what you want but you will see all BB and PL always want to improve and get better, that is what makes us different from a majority of the population.

Berfles, nice transformation. Are you going to stop at 222?

berfles
10-05-2009, 07:14 AM
Once you get to 165, your going to want to be 185 and when you get to 185 you are going to want to be 215. You think his 165 is what you want but you will see all BB and PL always want to improve and get better, that is what makes us different from a majority of the population.

That's the truth, and pretty much just how I was. I just wanted to get to 170, then I got there and wanted 185, then 200, and then 225. Now I'm still not really happy.

Berfles, nice transformation. Are you going to stop at 222?

Thanks. I was thinking of starting back up again today and counting my calories to see if I can get a bit above 230, I was up to about 224 this weekend again. Aside from being afraid of losing strength while cutting, I'm afraid of ending up too small. If I gain a little more maybe it won't be as bad. I just don't ever want to go under 200lbs again.

jp2
10-05-2009, 08:00 AM
wow dude, amazing. Nice work!

DLgain09
10-05-2009, 03:41 PM
you strait up look like the hulk not even gonna lie.

aormz
10-05-2009, 09:40 PM
I agree with most of the others on here. I think you are looking great @ 225 and you got some time (Wintertime) and room (you look great!) to keep going. You are looking powerful and strong, I think you should gain until 235 so you have that century mark. What's the worst that can happen? You get stronger? You are a beast man! Congratulations on having the will power to put in the hardwork and determination to achieve your will.

Mad Max
10-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Nearly 100lbs weight gain is mind blowing. You simply couldn't have achieved more in the time given. I'm jealous, I haven't achieved that much in twice the time. Could you see yourself focusing more on bb or pl in the future?

af92
10-09-2009, 09:27 PM
THAT is an impressive transformation!! Gratz to you man for the hard work. Not very many people understand how much work it takes on both sides of the fence (Diet and Exercise) to get to that goal. I used to be in the 130's for the longest time and now I'm hovering around 170 and still wanting more! Its great when you see people you haven't seen for years and the look on their face is just priceless :D

Once again, good job and keep it up!

berfles
10-09-2009, 09:35 PM
I agree with most of the others on here. I think you are looking great @ 225 and you got some time (Wintertime) and room (you look great!) to keep going. You are looking powerful and strong, I think you should gain until 235 so you have that century mark. What's the worst that can happen? You get stronger? You are a beast man! Congratulations on having the will power to put in the hardwork and determination to achieve your will.

I started eating a bit more again so we'll see if I gained anything this week. I should just go for 250, but given my cardio health, I'll need a cut before that.

Nearly 100lbs weight gain is mind blowing. You simply couldn't have achieved more in the time given. I'm jealous, I haven't achieved that much in twice the time. Could you see yourself focusing more on bb or pl in the future?

I mainly focus on powerlifting already, I don't really care to bodybuild. Powerlifting is just more fun for me, though back when I started, I didn't care how strong I was, I just wanted to look good. Now things shifted the other way.

THAT is an impressive transformation!! Gratz to you man for the hard work. Not very many people understand how much work it takes on both sides of the fence (Diet and Exercise) to get to that goal. I used to be in the 130's for the longest time and now I'm hovering around 170 and still wanting more! Its great when you see people you haven't seen for years and the look on their face is just priceless :D

Once again, good job and keep it up!

Thanks :) I just got even newer stretchmarks on my arms and I noticed they somehow got a little bigger. My whole body is going to be a stretchmark pretty soon.

slideman
10-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Great job Berfies. I am not as advanced as you but I am working the 5-3-1 program also. I like it because of the versatility. One of the things I do is on leg days (squat and dead lift) I will do at least a couple of work sets of squats on deadlift day, and one set of working deads on squat day. I also do the same thing with bench and overhead workouts. Basically for me a I feel I need more than one work out per body part per week.

Slideman

musclemick
10-19-2009, 07:09 AM
I can't remember if I've posted a reply in this thread but it's worth another reply. VERY IMPRESSIVE!

J.C.
10-24-2009, 06:51 AM
Absolutely amazing transformation man!

You should be incredibly proud of your achievements but there are some slightly worrying signs in this thread and others you've made.

I'm slowly getting to the point of wanting to gain even more... Every week I see myself merely maintaining is filling off my "pissed" meter, and once it's full I start all over again. It's only a matter of time before I get fed up and start pounding 6000+ a day, every day. It's actually getting pretty close now... I may start again Monday. Each time my body holds me back from gaining weight I get more pissed, and eat even more, until I force it to change. Few things piss me off more.

That's fantastic dedication but unless you decide to compete, then maybe chill out a bit? If this is that hard on your body, and your cardio health is suffering then you could try easing up on your body occasionally. Just for future health and comfort.

That's the truth, and pretty much just how I was. I just wanted to get to 170, then I got there and wanted 185, then 200, and then 225. Now I'm still not really happy.

There's a difference between always wanting to strive for more - that mindset that marks out the athletes and the most determined amongst us - and never being happy. You should be really happy with where you are. If you're not then you probably won't ever be happy and that's a real shame

And you still have this as your signature, even after such a massive improvement:

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

I really don't want to offend you and take anything away from the fantastic job you've done, but for me weightlifting, and exercise in general, is as much about the mental effects as physical. When I first got out of skinnytude I was far happier, more confident, got laid more often, made more friends and became much more comfortable with my body. If you're not reaching that place then you're missing out on the bigger picture. You almost seem to be painting a picture of somebody who has body dysmorphia, which is fairly common to some degree in bodybuilders.

I get the impression this post will be flamed to hell. It was just some thoughts. I can't really judge you based only on this so if I'm wrong I apologise. Good job anyway and relax, you're golden!

Nicky
10-24-2009, 10:04 AM
"And you still have this as your signature, even after such a massive improvement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by berfles
The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body."

Thats Dr. Cox's motto. I don't think berfles takes it as seriously as you think. It basically means as soon as you look in the mirror and are happy, thats it. nothing more to strive for. seeing something you don't like or want to improve upon makes you work harder. Correct me if im wrong berfles.

J.C.
10-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Ah OK...

You're probably right, but there is a difference between never being satisfied and never being happy. You should never be entirely satisfied because then you'd never keep progressing, but you should certainly be happy.

Its just semantics. I'm probably reading things which aren't there.

Bodyguard
10-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Are stats are close, but your progress is dramatic. How old are you in the first and second pics????

You remind me of myself when I was my age.

berfles
10-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Absolutely amazing transformation man!

You should be incredibly proud of your achievements but there are some slightly worrying signs in this thread and others you've made.

That's fantastic dedication but unless you decide to compete, then maybe chill out a bit? If this is that hard on your body, and your cardio health is suffering then you could try easing up on your body occasionally. Just for future health and comfort.

There's a difference between always wanting to strive for more - that mindset that marks out the athletes and the most determined amongst us - and never being happy. You should be really happy with where you are. If you're not then you probably won't ever be happy and that's a real shame

And you still have this as your signature, even after such a massive improvement:

I really don't want to offend you and take anything away from the fantastic job you've done, but for me weightlifting, and exercise in general, is as much about the mental effects as physical. When I first got out of skinnytude I was far happier, more confident, got laid more often, made more friends and became much more comfortable with my body. If you're not reaching that place then you're missing out on the bigger picture. You almost seem to be painting a picture of somebody who has body dysmorphia, which is fairly common to some degree in bodybuilders.

I get the impression this post will be flamed to hell. It was just some thoughts. I can't really judge you based only on this so if I'm wrong I apologise. Good job anyway and relax, you're golden!

Nicky is right, it's just a quote from Scrubs :) I do somewhat agree with your other stuff though, and I appreciate your thoughts. I do take it way too seriously and get way too hard on myself, but I think that's the only way I stay motivated. I don't know anyone else who works out and I do it alone in my basement, so I need something to go off of.

I also agree that I have some form of dysmorphia, especially since I don't think I look big at all most of the time. If I lose 2lbs I feel like I lost all my progress and get pretty pissed, but I'll get over it eventually.

Not being happy is probably the wrong phrase, I am pretty damn happy with how far I've come. Not being satisfied is definitely what I mean :)

Are stats are close, but your progress is dramatic. How old are you in the first and second pics????

You remind me of myself when I was my age.

I think I was like 16 and 18 in the first and second pictures, but I don't remember.

Detard
10-30-2009, 12:46 PM
I also agree that I have some form of dysmorphia, especially since I don't think I look big at all most of the time. If I lose 2lbs I feel like I lost all my progress and get pretty pissed, but I'll get over it eventually.

I can relate. I always feel small, no matter how much weight I gain. It's because we were always the little guy growing up so we havent adapted to being bigger. One thing I find that helps is when you see pictures with your friends and family, and you are much much bigger than them. It sorta brings you back to reality that you are bigger/stronger than most the population and takes you out of your one track mind of being small. Does that make sense?

berfles
10-30-2009, 12:55 PM
I can relate. I always feel small, no matter how much weight I gain. It's because we were always the little guy growing up so we havent adapted to being bigger. One thing I find that helps is when you see pictures with your friends and family, and you are much much bigger than them. It sorta brings you back to reality that you are bigger/stronger than most the population and takes you out of your one track mind of being small. Does that make sense?

It does, though I don't usually have my picture taken anywhere. I do notice it when looking at a friend whom I compared myself to awhile back, he was always bigger and stronger than I was and now I'm twice his size and a lot stronger.

CainMcCloud
10-30-2009, 04:45 PM
:( You stole my dream lol.

Honestly, beast dude. Congrats, you look massive at 222, I'd like to know, what was your BF% at 165, then at 222? I am doubting it went up much, but I am just wondering cause I hope to cutt down and then bulk up, not to 222, but 200, so I am wondering if your BF% changed much, which I would think it would on any bulk.

Congrats, and amazing dude, from 135 to 222 is almost scary good dude lol.

gooby
11-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Great progress! I was looking at your routine that you did to get to 225 and I was shocked how little you did. Ive been trying to figure out what program to do and for the life of me I cant figure out what works best for me. So how did you figure out exactly what worked best for YOUR body? Like how did you develop that routine?

ironchef
11-03-2009, 09:39 PM
holy **** great progress

berfles
11-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Great progress! I was looking at your routine that you did to get to 225 and I was shocked how little you did. Ive been trying to figure out what program to do and for the life of me I cant figure out what works best for me. So how did you figure out exactly what worked best for YOUR body? Like how did you develop that routine?

I'm not really sure anymore. If you go here you can see my first post and the routine I thought up (which blew ass, but I did it anyway):

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99149

From there I bought my power rack and actually started training, I just seemed to weed out the useless exercises and noticed my body was responding even better to just the compound movements. I went from hardly seeing increases in lifts to getting a lot stronger pretty quickly. Then I learned about the 5x5 routine, and rather than follow it 100% I stuck to my "less is more" idea and just did sets across for the compound lifts. From there I pretty much gained faster than I ever thought possible for myself, combined with a **** load of eating of course.

Nicky
11-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Hey berfles, can you give us some basic measurements? Flexed but cold arms, legs, waist ect. I would like to see if im even close in my guesses.

GoodyGirl
11-07-2009, 07:17 PM
I can't get over the size of your traps! They're huge! And to say your transformation is amazing is a massive understatement! Nice job, looking good!

berfles
11-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Hey berfles, can you give us some basic measurements? Flexed but cold arms, legs, waist ect. I would like to see if im even close in my guesses.

Arms are around 17.5" cold, thighs are around 27-28", waist is around 33-34". Not sure about my chest or other things. I think my forearms are a bit over 15" and my calves are close to 18".

I can't get over the size of your traps! They're huge! And to say your transformation is amazing is a massive understatement! Nice job, looking good!

Thanks :) I'm pretty pleased with them, especially since I've never worked them out directly. Must have lucked out with those and my calves, as they also grow without direct work. Pretty much right along with my arms.

Nicky
11-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Your waist is 0nly 33 to 34"? Wow it looks bigger. Not fat, round, bigger, but tree trunk, strong bigger. Thats the measurement right around your bellybutton? Again, you truly are an inspiration to skinny guys.

n4rd0
11-10-2009, 07:53 PM
jesus christ man... i started at about 140 too im up to 185 now.. but my god how did u manage to make it to 225? I'm going to go eat everything I can find ....

RichMcGuire
11-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Your routine you did when you went from 165 to 225 was actually quite good imho. For instance, on one day, you do heavy deads followed by weighted chins. Something like that works effectively for exhausting the entire back from deads, and then finishing off the metabolic structure with chins.

Aside from being afraid of losing strength while cutting, I'm afraid of ending up too small. If I gain a little more maybe it won't be as bad. I just don't ever want to go under 200lbs again.

I shared this fear as well.

Again, I did too. If I dropped a couple pounds, I'd look in the mirror just to see if I was "okay."

But you should know, this can extend into the time when you cut. It did for me. I got so obsessed with cutting, that one time I was out to dinner with my girlfriend. I ate a dinner role with my meal..so when we got back to her house, I did 10 minutes of sprints with pushups. My abs were really pronounced and even now, bulking again, I hate the idea of losing it.

My advice is, dont obsess about the numbers on the scale when you do cut. I bulked from 142 to 185.. and ended up cutting down to 148 - 155. But I looked even bigger at that light weight than I did when I was 185.(except in my face)And my body fat was much much lower at that weight than when I first started at 142. Im around 158 now, with low body fat (and still lower than when I was 142) and bulking my way back up to 200.

You developed an off season bodybuilder look. Progress is awesome. When you do eventually cut, youre only going to look bigger. If you do it right, I dont see any reason youd lose strength either.

Invain
11-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Aside from being afraid of losing strength while cutting, I'm afraid of ending up too small. If I gain a little more maybe it won't be as bad. I just don't ever want to go under 200lbs again.

I was the same way for a long time, but TRUST me man, it'll be worth it once you finally cut down and really see the amount of mass you're holding. You'll look 10x better once you get your bf down, and if you're doing everything correctly there's no reason why you can't continue to make strength gains. I'm moving the same weights now that I did when I weighed 35 pounds more, and I look twice as big since my bf% is half what it used to be.

Your bf% definitely isn't that bad yet, but I'm telling you I regretted waiting as long as I did to cut. The higher your bf%, the easer it is to gain fat, it's that simple. After a certain point all you're really doing is making your future cut that much longer.

jAy_Dub
11-15-2009, 12:23 PM
I was the same way for a long time, but TRUST me man, it'll be worth it once you finally cut down and really see the amount of mass you're holding. You'll look 10x better once you get your bf down, and if you're doing everything correctly there's no reason why you can't continue to make strength gains. I'm moving the same weights now that I did when I weighed 35 pounds more, and I look twice as big since my bf% is half what it used to be.

Your bf% definitely isn't that bad yet, but I'm telling you I regretted waiting as long as I did to cut. The higher your bf%, the easer it is to gain fat, it's that simple. After a certain point all you're really doing is making your future cut that much longer.

Good advice right here. I used to be the same way too, its hard to get the "big and heavy is better" mentality out of our head. 200 lbs is just a number, who cares if you go under it again? You'll just be that much more shredded. Just remember, its gonna take awhile to cut off the fat, gotta maintain that muscle.

RBB
11-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Good advice right here. I used to be the same way too, its hard to get the "big and heavy is better" mentality out of our head. 200 lbs is just a number, who cares if you go under it again? You'll just be that much more shredded. Just remember, its gonna take awhile to cut off the fat, gotta maintain that muscle.

i also used to have the same mentality and went on insane bulks. you get a little older, a little more experience and you just realize that it's not the way to go....to much yo-yo'ing and it just ****s with your head after awhile. get lean, stay lean. you can cut the fat and keep your strength and muscle mass. you can also gain weight slowly while staying lean. it's so much more efficient and you can really see the changes in your body when your bf% is low. no need for the crazy bulking and high bf%'s.

BCorn
11-16-2009, 09:06 AM
what is the maximum bf% ya'll would recommend getting to while bulking.......maybe 14 or 15%???

Irish Pilot
11-16-2009, 01:30 PM
what is the maximum bf% ya'll would recommend getting to while bulking.......maybe 14 or 15%???

I hate to answer in my relatively minimal experience...but...whatever point you look in the mirror and are unsatisfied...thats your limit. Everyone has a different personal limit based on their preferred look. Not every seeks to be single digit lean.

BCorn
11-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Berfles....I saw the routine that you posted....I think you said you did your 5x5 and 3x3 sets with weight across....I assume your goal was to add weight each session. Were you typically able to add weight each session and how much....5lbs?????

Invain
11-16-2009, 06:41 PM

Everybody looks different at a given bf%, depends a lot on how you carry your fat. I'd say anything over 20% is going overboard. Personally I'll never go above 15% again.

RBB
11-17-2009, 06:51 AM

personally, i'd never go over 12% again. that is maybe not totally realistic for some, but i was just trying to make a point.

but anyways, let's get the thread back on the topic of berfles pics. i doubt he wants his pic thread to turn into a diet discussion. we have other sections of the forum for that.

Y2A
11-17-2009, 08:45 AM
The progress amazes me man, great work. You are a big mother ****er.

berfles
11-22-2009, 01:05 AM
Your waist is 0nly 33 to 34"? Wow it looks bigger. Not fat, round, bigger, but tree trunk, strong bigger. Thats the measurement right around your bellybutton? Again, you truly are an inspiration to skinny guys.

Oh, nah that's where I wear my pants, not up that high. It's probably a little bigger up there, but where I wear my pants I'm a 33-34.

jesus christ man... i started at about 140 too im up to 185 now.. but my god how did u manage to make it to 225? I'm going to go eat everything I can find ....

Lots of shakes, I drink up to 4 a day.

Your routine you did when you went from 165 to 225 was actually quite good imho. For instance, on one day, you do heavy deads followed by weighted chins. Something like that works effectively for exhausting the entire back from deads, and then finishing off the metabolic structure with chins.

I shared this fear as well.

Again, I did too. If I dropped a couple pounds, I'd look in the mirror just to see if I was "okay."

But you should know, this can extend into the time when you cut. It did for me. I got so obsessed with cutting, that one time I was out to dinner with my girlfriend. I ate a dinner role with my meal..so when we got back to her house, I did 10 minutes of sprints with pushups. My abs were really pronounced and even now, bulking again, I hate the idea of losing it.

My advice is, dont obsess about the numbers on the scale when you do cut. I bulked from 142 to 185.. and ended up cutting down to 148 - 155. But I looked even bigger at that light weight than I did when I was 185.(except in my face)And my body fat was much much lower at that weight than when I first started at 142. Im around 158 now, with low body fat (and still lower than when I was 142) and bulking my way back up to 200.

You developed an off season bodybuilder look. Progress is awesome. When you do eventually cut, youre only going to look bigger. If you do it right, I dont see any reason youd lose strength either.

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty excited to see how my rear lat spread looks after a cut, because I'm pretty damn wide if I do say so myself. If I had my normal 30" waist it would look amazing I think.

Berfles....I saw the routine that you posted....I think you said you did your 5x5 and 3x3 sets with weight across....I assume your goal was to add weight each session. Were you typically able to add weight each session and how much....5lbs?????

5lbs, and typically I could add 5lbs every week for squats and deadlifts. Bench and shoulder press were more stubborn, bench especially. I'd usually get to add 5lbs to bench after two weeks, sometimes even 3. A couple time I got on a roll and could add 5lbs/week on bench too, but that wasn't often.

The progress amazes me man, great work. You are a big mother ****er.

omniprez
12-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Hi Berfles,

I just registered on this forum and should say that you are among those who fit exactly in the saying.....whatever your mind conceives..you can achieve...

Keep up the great job...

Cheers

shorm777
12-07-2009, 11:17 PM
INSANE mass and gains, congrats

berfles
12-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Hi Berfles,

I just registered on this forum and should say that you are among those who fit exactly in the saying.....whatever your mind conceives..you can achieve...

Keep up the great job...

Cheers

INSANE mass and gains, congrats

Thanks guys :)

Here's an unflexed picture from tonight, no real change since I made this post and I actually lost some weight due to the stress of buying a car (and tinkering with said car for two weeks) but my strength is still the same if not better. I've basically been taking some time off from stuffing my face and just eating to maintain.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2600/4186585548_e2dc57df02_o.jpg

I'm going to try getting up to 230lbs for sure this time and cut come Spring. Starting to count my calories again.

james_w8lifter
12-14-2009, 07:55 PM
Lookin huge bro! Those are some wicked battle scars on your shoulders! wow... I also am looking to get to 230lbs before I cut

2kool
12-29-2009, 03:32 PM
amazing progress man. when i look back at your pics of yourself from a long time ago it really hits me how much youve accomplished. very inspiring for all those who are around where you were in your oldest pics. id be very proud of myself if i was where you are now. in fact after going through this thread and also seeing cmanuels (?) 555 DL at the same weight as me... man im truly inspired to start putting so much more into this! GREAT PROGRESS KEEP IT UP!

T o m m Y
12-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Hey man what kind of routine did you follow while putting on all this size?

uwishucould
12-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Hey man what kind of routine did you follow while putting on all this size?

Bro, he posted that on page one or two. Please don't fall into the category of members that ask the same question someone already asked cuz they are lazy and won't read the thread.

Berfles....Good work man but as I read through this thread I loved seeing that you changed your attitude form just maintaining to setting more goals. You will lose your motivation and consequently your strength and size if you don't keep setting goals....even if they are small ones since you have achieved your big goal. CONGRATS Again on hitting your big goal and good luck on your future goals.

Longhorn
01-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Seriously awesome job, its inspirational. Keep it up!

Miso
01-17-2010, 11:49 AM

What this guy said. You are an inspiration to me man. And, of course, all the little guys out there too. Keep up the good work man.

RossGers
01-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Wonderful transformation mate, well done.

mcage
01-18-2010, 06:11 AM
good work man great gains

Cmanuel
01-26-2010, 11:36 PM
and also seeing cmanuels (?) 555 DL at the same weight as me... man im truly inspired to start putting so much more into this! GREAT PROGRESS KEEP IT UP!

Thanks man, that really means a lot to me that I can inspire others to pursue the addiction that is barbell training.

Berfles, I hate you. Not because you made amazing progress, because your pictures make me want to get 70s big and hit 230lbs as well haha. Insane progress man.

kmagnuss
02-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Nice work. I would never have believed that was you in the 135 pics. Damn nice job.

Kipper
02-03-2010, 11:34 AM

Itīs not a "fix" and its never finished. And maintaining is roughly as hard as growing muscle or losing fat. A BBer canīt just "arrive" and then work out once a week. This is for life.

Kipper
02-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Amazing transformation. I have the exact same stretchmarks, from years ago. Theyīre flabby now.

kmagnuss
02-07-2010, 07:11 AM
I might have missed it in the thread, but how long did that transformation take?

Again...great work.

PS...my brother thinks you juiced. I told him he doesn't know what he's talking about, to STFU and stop doing lunges...maybe he'd see some good results too.

I_Esta_5
03-08-2010, 06:36 PM
man.....you are big man. cool progress too, i use to have the body of your oldest photo but I believe I'm close to the 2nd but not really. In a few more months i might be...wicked progress.

berfles
03-08-2010, 07:59 PM
I might have missed it in the thread, but how long did that transformation take?

Again...great work.

PS...my brother thinks you juiced. I told him he doesn't know what he's talking about, to STFU and stop doing lunges...maybe he'd see some good results too.

I missed your reply, but I think it took around 2.5 years or so. And tell your brother I laughed at him.

man.....you are big man. cool progress too, i use to have the body of your oldest photo but I believe I'm close to the 2nd but not really. In a few more months i might be...wicked progress.

fixationdarknes
03-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Bitchin'! This thread is definitely what this forum is all about! Congrats bro.

chevelle2291
03-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Awesome progress! In your last picture, it may just be the lighting but it looks like you have kept a good deal of abdominal definition? You're going to be absolutely shredded when you cut this spring. What are you shooting for? 190? 180?

berfles
03-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Bitchin'! This thread is definitely what this forum is all about! Congrats bro.

Thanks.

Awesome progress! In your last picture, it may just be the lighting but it looks like you have kept a good deal of abdominal definition? You're going to be absolutely shredded when you cut this spring. What are you shooting for? 190? 180?

I definitely still have the upper 4 abs visible, even semi relaxed. I seem to hold most of my fat on the sides where love handles are, and in my legs. Through a shirt it looks like a have a six pack, but I think the bottom two are fat ;)

I really have no idea what I want to cut to since I've never done it before. I don't know what 25lbs less would look like, or if I'd need more, but I'd prefer to not ever go below 200lbs again after all the work it took to get here. For now I'd say 200lbs and go from there, I'm not really interested in single digit body fat, maybe 10-12%. I'll take it day by day and see where I end up.

chevelle2291
03-14-2010, 01:43 AM
That's seriously impressive man! I'd take a muscular body with a 4 pack over a skinny body with a six pack anyday! I'm sure with some diet manipulation that you could stay at or below 10% at around 200 lbs. Keep lifting heavy man! You've done great!

Behemoth
03-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Jacked dude. Where in PA you from?

wanagetstrong
03-30-2010, 09:54 AM
fekkkin awsome well done that man

berfles
03-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Jacked dude. Where in PA you from?

I'm near Allentown, Eastern PA.

Alyion
04-01-2010, 02:13 PM
****in' Epic man, the very definition of this site.

I can only imagine though how much your food bill must be at a 6000 cal intake ;)

The Gasman UK
04-18-2010, 04:34 AM
Excellent work mate, that is bodybuilding personified. You realised where you were, what you wanted to become, went out did the hard work and got it. Respect.